Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:19:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is tradehill.com really hosted on a shared hosting account?  (Read 3442 times)
Mr. E (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:57:28 PM

Someone made a comment earlier today that tradehill.com is hosted on a shared server, was that guy having a laugh or is that true?  That would be  scary if it is true because you cannot have a secure site when you are hosted on a shared server.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TonyHoyle

Activity: 59

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:04:58 PM

It looks like it's a VPS.

This isn't the same as a shared webhost - it's much closer to a separate machine (except somewhat cheaper).  I presume it's a temporary measure until the income is enough to afford full hosting.

It's pretty secure, unless the hosting company is dishonest.. and I expect we'd hear about that pretty quick.
Icy-

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:08:18 PM

It looks like it's a VPS.

This isn't the same as a shared webhost - it's much closer to a separate machine (except somewhat cheaper).  I presume it's a temporary measure until the income is enough to afford full hosting.

It's pretty secure, unless the hosting company is dishonest.. and I expect we'd hear about that pretty quick.

Shared hosting is when usually 100s of websites are stored within one server, that server being maintained by the website host.
VPS is a server that is split up 2 or more times to create virtual servers, kind of like how VMWARE works to give you a good idea.

Having your own dedicated server doesn't at all mean more security, it can infact mean more security issues because they usually maintain their own server. At least with shared hosting, security of the server isn't your problem, but you also have little control.

Mr. E (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:10:57 PM

VPS is a step up from shared hosting, but really, I am surprised to know that they do not have their own dedicated server.  A dedicated server is only around $100 to $200 USD a month.  
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:12:09 PM

Someone made a comment earlier today that tradehill.com is hosted on a shared server, was that guy having a laugh or is that true?  That would be  scary if it is true because you cannot have a secure site when you are hosted on a shared server.

More than one thread mentioned shared hosting.
I questioned it and people replied "Hostgator."
It could very well be true.

Chick

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:16:49 PM

Linode  Cool

Icy-

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:21:28 PM

Unless they prove them self or have someone as a security expert, it will be much safer for them to use shared hosting rather than a VPS/dedicated server.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:29:24 PM

nslookup tradehill.com

RIPE WHOIS:

inetnum:         46.21.104.0 - 46.21.105.255
netname:         GLESYS-CUSTOMER-SERVERS
descr:           Customer VPS services located in Falkenberg, Sweden
remarks:         INFRA-AW
admin-c:         GLE-RIPE
tech-c:          GLE-RIPE
mnt-by:          GLESYS-MNT
mnt-domains:     GLESYS-MNT
source:          RIPE # Filtered

Main website: http://glesys.com/

VPS Details: http://glesys.com/vps.php

Not bad, they probably could migrate to dedicated later.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Mr. E (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:37:12 PM

Unless they prove them self or have someone as a security expert, it will be much safer for them to use shared hosting rather than a VPS/dedicated server.
Why is that?  How is shared hosting safer than VPS or a dedicated server?  I don't know much about these things but I have been told that if you have a shared hosting account your site is more or less only as secure as any other site sharing that server.
Epinnoia

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:44:30 PM

That presumes that every other account on that very same box isn't doing anything dishonest.

If you successfully compiled or uploaded a packet sniffer on virtual machine #1, it will sniff packets for every other virtual machine on that box.

You also place an inordinate amount of trust on the jail system of the OS -- making sure that the various virtual machines can't see each other across the harddrive(s) they share.

And lastly, you'd be sharing SQL database access with everyone else on the virtual machine.  That could open up vulnerabilities if permissions are not exactly right.

My first miner -> ATI 4550 (7.2 Mh/sec): 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cryptospeculators/
sakkaku

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 10:55:58 PM

If you successfully compiled or uploaded a packet sniffer on virtual machine #1, it will sniff packets for every other virtual machine on that box.

Each virtual machine is bound to their own IP address so you can't listen to other machines on the same box.  You however could listen to any broadcasts on the local network, or anything else a bare metal server could do.

13NiQcetcioQj3YwHL1ZWvgQg8eAjkzUdt
Blog/Projects: zxlu.com | syn-multiminer
Icy-

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:58:04 PM

That presumes that every other account on that very same box isn't doing anything dishonest.

You also place an inordinate amount of trust on the jail system of the OS -- making sure that the various virtual machines can't see each other across the harddrive(s) they share.

And lastly, you'd be sharing SQL database access with everyone else on the virtual machine.  That could open up vulnerabilities if permissions are not exactly right.

This goes back to what I just said.
sakkaku

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 11:01:08 PM

They don't share any hard drives.  In fact each virtual machine has their own install of an OS and they can't mount other volumes from the host machine.

No.  Each machine runs their own services.  Each VM will have a web server, sql, etc or whatever else the operator wants.

Icy-

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 11:13:23 PM

They don't share any hard drives.  In fact each virtual machine has their own install of an OS and they can't mount other volumes from the host machine.

No.  Each machine runs their own services.  Each VM will have a web server, sql, etc or whatever else the operator wants.

This depends on the setup.
sakkaku

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 11:16:09 PM

They don't share any partitions.  In fact each virtual machine has their own install of an OS and they can't mount other volumes from the host machine.

This depends on the setup.

I derped a little.  But it is exceptionally hard to get past the hypervisor to access other customers.

bbjansen

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 11:16:41 PM

VPS is a step up from shared hosting, but really, I am surprised to know that they do not have their own dedicated server.  A dedicated server is only around $100 to $200 USD a month.  
Some VPS's are 400 dollars per month and four times as good as a 100 dollar dedicated server. All depends on the quality and service.
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 11:18:39 PM

I'm pretty sure it's Hostgator or at least something similar. Their site can obviously handle no more traffic than Susie's Geocities page about beanie babies.
Epinnoia

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 11:28:12 PM

Each virtual machine is bound to their own IP address so you can't listen to other machines on the same box.  You however could listen to any broadcasts on the local network, or anything else a bare metal server could do.

It is the same physical card in the same physical machine.  C++ is quite powerful.

My first miner -> ATI 4550 (7.2 Mh/sec): 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cryptospeculators/
Chick

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 11:29:19 PM

It is the same physical card in the same physical machine.  C++ is quite powerful.

C++ my face.

dinker

Activity: 103

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Do they mine with their hosting server?

Help Me Help You Donations:
14kP6tNtrz3woESs9nEE5aDB81QTybGyyZ
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: