Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:59:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HBO is trying to get $250,000 in bitcoin to pay hackers who stole GoT scripts  (Read 2366 times)
eternalgloom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2017, 01:55:54 PM

Hackers who stole data from HBO have leaked an email from a company executive showing negotiations over a ransom.
The HBO executive said the company would pay $250,000 in bitcoin as a "bug bounty payment."
Scripts from shows such as "Game of Thrones" were stolen last month.

Read the full article here:
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/11/hbo-hack-game-of-thrones-ransom.html

I can't believe that they're actually willing to pay 250K in Bitcoin just to prevent the scripts from being released.
Even if the scripts were released, I doubt they would lose any fans over it. It's not like that many people would even read it.

Still sad that Bitcoin is being associated with crime again.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Arvydas77

Activity: 1092
Merit: 504

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2017, 02:10:48 PM

Hackers who stole data from HBO have leaked an email from a company executive showing negotiations over a ransom.
The HBO executive said the company would pay $250,000 in bitcoin as a "bug bounty payment."

I can't believe that they're actually willing to pay 250K in Bitcoin just to prevent the scripts from being released.
Even if the scripts were released, I doubt they would lose any fans over it. It's not like that many people would even read it.

Yes, when I mention that I own BTC people think that I'm engaged in criminal activity. They can't understand that I just love and have belief in BTC as most others who are not criminals.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 02:19:09 PM

Yes, when I mention that I own BTC people think that I'm engaged in criminal activity. They can't understand that I just love and have belief in BTC as most others who are not criminals.

The thing is that since Bitcoin is not yet that known by many people, when there can be news of a criminal activity and the ransom must be paid in Bitcoin the association is really automatic the name of Bitcoin is easily besmirched. Now, if there is a similar situation and the ransom must be paid in dollar...people will not make that automatic association because they know the dollar and that anybody can use it or abuse it. It is just human nature that when there is something new we usually assumed things without first verifying how true or reliable the information and association. We, people who already know about Bitcoin, can help spread correct information about the cryptocurrency and the ways things work here.
severaldetails

Activity: 959
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 03:05:50 PM

The fact that bitcoin is used for ransom is something we simply have to live with.
It's in the nature of bitcoins anonymity that it will always be used for that by criminals.
Maybe the studios and other businesses will learn from scenarios like that and store their data more savely.
After all, maybe it's a good thing that the industry is forced to rise its IT standards.
When you look at it from that perspective, the hackers might even do us all a favour.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 03:41:10 PM

Yep. Bad publicity for bitcoin again. Once again news affiliated with crime.  Sad

I found this news funny though. I've seen alot of posts about this news on Facebook and YouTube. Looks like HBO is in panic, whereas people in the comments of Facebook are begging the hackers to release the scripts instead. LOL. Looks like they're not getting the script though. Me personally I am also interested in the script as I am quite a GoT fan eversince.  Grin One last thing. HBO should have known better lol. Why is their data so vulnerable? As it seems like the hackers aren't like "big time" hackers, as the ransom is quite small in my opinion, compared to other leaks.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
joebrook

Activity: 644
Merit: 259

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 03:52:03 PM

I don't know why HBO are wiling to pay that ransom since the script and even summary of the whole season 7 of this year's Game of Thrones has been leaked already, I was very much skeptical about the authenticity of the whole thing which was leaked way back in  2016 but now that the new season has started and so far the 4 episodes seem to correlate to the leaked script, I have no choice than to believe that it's all true.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
freebutcaged

Activity: 588
Merit: 541

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 04:03:25 PM

There is no crime here, are you an idiot? they had security bugs and problems, not only scripts but last week episode 4 of season 7 of Game of thrones

Were leaked before even airing on HBO channel. hackers managed to download a few episodes I think and even if scripts are compromised only thing would

Be a few hundred millions loss for HBO. they should be thanking them for not releasing the scripts and just want $250,000 that's nothing compared to the

Money HBO is earning by broadcasting the series. they could also request cash in a bag to be delivered in some public place, Bitcoin transactions being on

The open makes it even more traceable than cash.
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 04:27:55 PM

There is no crime here, are you an idiot? they had security bugs and problems, not only scripts but last week episode 4 of season 7 of Game of thrones

Were leaked before even airing on HBO channel. hackers managed to download a few episodes I think and even if scripts are compromised only thing would

Be a few hundred millions loss for HBO. they should be thanking them for not releasing the scripts and just want $250,000 that's nothing compared to the

Money HBO is earning by broadcasting the series. they could also request cash in a bag to be delivered in some public place, Bitcoin transactions being on

Taking private property and threatening to sell them online unless they pay $250k isn't a crime?

Sounds like there could be theft, copyright infringement and blackmail to me.  That it will save HBO millions by only having to pay $250k changes nothing. I guess that if they do pay, the will also try to press charges.
cryptohorsee

Activity: 229
Merit: 100

The Operating System for DAOs

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 04:30:52 PM

Well that is just a bad publicity for bitcoin, hackers destroy everything... I hope they won't pay them, instead they can find them and sue them. Hacking is becoming more and more of a problem , the sentences  hacking should be much higher.

DocSnyd3r

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 04:34:00 PM

I'm sure stealing money out of pockets is also okay since there was no chain on the wallet and people should be thankful.

This is no game and they should face prison time, simple as that.

3ADZdEawDgfhcHaXzZorX1aVxv7s2Ppv9e (beer BTC)
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 05:09:19 PM

Agree - people want to view the drama, not read scripts. 

I wonder if the hackers stole other stuff besides the scripts? If so, that might be why they are paying up.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
Andre_Goldman

Activity: 322
Merit: 253

Property1of1OU

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 05:35:18 PM

IF the leaked script is real stuff... HBO can take advantage of it ... just write and leak few fake scripts on deep web and get some free advertising ...  

Patent1number: ****-****
shirackjs

Activity: 812
Merit: 256

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 05:45:34 PM

With this article, more hackers will be aiming to hack HBO’s system for “bounty payment”. Seriously why would HBO agree to pay in the first place?  Huh
Lukoll

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 06:02:05 PM

This is how the elite want to destroy Bitcoin reputation. Mention it in the media in connection with crimes, money laundring, tax evasion, terrorism...
eternalgloom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2017, 06:04:35 PM

Okay, so I'm an idiot for merely posting this article and stating my opinion about it, thanks I guess.

So you're saying that it's totally fine that they actually stole all of their intellectual property and blackmail them for it?

Nothing wrong with pointing out flaws in their security, but once you start stealing and blackmailing, it's a crime and not even remotely ethical.
But hey, that's just one idiot's opinion...

Soutogu

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 06:16:33 PM

Hopefully things like this one don't become the norm from here on out... Fast transactions to anywhere in the world is a huge benefit for everyone, including people with malicious intentions i guess... And since bitcoin is the most well known coin out there, that's what they're gonna target unfortunately. With that being said, i don't see a reason for HBO to pay this, just let them release the scripts... I know i wouldn't read the spoilers anyways (unless the hackers are taking the 250k and also pointing out the flaws in their security, then it might be worth it).
BingoDog

Activity: 658
Merit: 505

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 06:22:38 PM

Why would they pay now, it doesn't make any sense. This is a huge amount of money and epoisodes of many series including Game of Thrones have leaked out so the damage is already done. If they pay they support criminal activities and that puts bad light on bitcoin (again) so they shouldn't do that.

malaj
eternalgloom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2017, 09:54:21 PM

Why would they pay now, it doesn't make any sense. This is a huge amount of money and epoisodes of many series including Game of Thrones have leaked out so the damage is already done. If they pay they support criminal activities and that puts bad light on bitcoin (again) so they shouldn't do that.
I don't think that them paying the ransom would put an additional bad light on Bitcoin.
It's criminals asking for Bitcoin payments that puts a bad light on Bitcoin, the damage has already been done.

I actually wonder why they keep asking for Bitcoin payments, they could just ask for a more anonymous coin instead, maybe Monero or Dash?
Not that I'm actually supportive of these criminal acts ofc.

doothewop

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

I like the clowns and the little dogs

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2017, 09:57:55 PM

I've stated this elsewhere, but I really hope HBO doesn't pay.

Bad precedent. Both for IP holders and for BTC's optics.
Everyone already sees Bitcoin as money for the criminal
and sketchy, this certainly doesn't help. If BTC was easier
for your average Joe on the street to purchase, it would help.
People would be using it for everything, not just the currency
of choice for paying ransoms. But we're not there yet.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 10:12:19 PM

I don't know why they would pay $250,000 in Bitcoin to pay ransom for some scripts that will likely be read a couple times to completion, published and talked about for 3 days, and then forgotten about until their actual episodes come out. At most, there will be spoilers that can come of it, but even that is doubtful and probably won't end up happening in any meaningful manner. People will still subscribe to their channel, they will watch the show, and then probably lose their minds after the series comes to an end, and the books probably won't even be finished before the author dies. Unless he starts to expedite the series and stops taking such a long time writing each novel.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: