Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:40:50 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HBO is trying to get $250,000 in bitcoin to pay hackers who stole GoT scripts  (Read 2366 times)
Junko
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 11:23:30 PM

More publicity for HBO/GoT and more publicity for Bitcoin. Win Win.

Bitcoin has been associated unfairly with other, more serious and heinous crimes all throughout its existence. And yet, the honey badger of currency keeps on keeping on and continues to keep getting stronger and stronger every day.

This latest mar on bitcoin will have no effect whatsoever on bitcoin. It may turn some few people away from bitcoin, but not enough to cause any significant damage.
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1338

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2017, 11:29:26 PM

It's hard decision for HBO to choose to pay ransom. Hackers will reach what they wanted and they can continue to do these bad activities. But anyway, $250 000 is not that big money for HBO, if we look how much they earn from Game of Thrones. And if hacked scripts will be released in public, losses may be much bigger.
And I don't think that this bad publicity can affect bitcoin in negative side. It just means that many bitcoins will move in to bad hands.
And it's serious warning for HBO and other companies to to protect their property better

eternalgloom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2017, 12:43:30 AM

Hackers who stole data from HBO have leaked an email from a company executive showing negotiations over a ransom.
The HBO executive said the company would pay $250,000 in bitcoin as a "bug bounty payment."
Scripts from shows such as "Game of Thrones" were stolen last month.

Read the full article here:
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/11/hbo-hack-game-of-thrones-ransom.html

I can't believe that they're actually willing to pay 250K in Bitcoin just to prevent the scripts from being released.
Even if the scripts were released, I doubt they would lose any fans over it. It's not like that many people would even read it.

Still sad that Bitcoin is being associated with crime again.

Agree - people want to view the drama, not read scripts.  

I wonder if the hackers stole other stuff besides the scripts? If so, that might be why they are paying up.

Unless of course, the TV show is ahead of the actual books (which people read), then people will want to read the scripts. In that case, HBO might be trying to avoid a lawsuit with Mr. Martin. I'
m not 100% on the details of their agreement.
Well indeed, the tv-show is ahead of the books at this point, but the books have been ahead of the tv-show for a much longer time.
People just don't read as much anymore, it's a very select group of people who would choose to read instead of just watching the series.

Those books have always been massive spoilers for the tv-show, but it doesn't deter people from watching.

Granted, an actual script is different from a book, but I seriously doubt that the release of the scripts would cause them to lose any fans/viewers, just my 2 cents.

GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 12:53:49 AM

They are idiots if they pay this. Dont negotiate with terrorists dammit! Embarrassed

The script is already compromised. Far from a bug bounty, this is a ransom. this sets a dangerous precedent for caving in to these craven bastards, and there is no guarantee that they dont have additional stuff/ renege on the agreement. They should just take the hit and move on; this seems like a thing to do now among hacking groups, they did the same thing to OITNB. OITNB didnt respond, they just let it ride. As stated before, its not like people arent going to watch it anyway, LOL. They should spend that quarter mil on some much needed cyber security  Roll Eyes
doomloop

Activity: 2324
Merit: 582

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 06:21:58 AM

Sadly, paying hackers for it, is just encouraging hackers to hack more for bitcoin. Lile with Wannacry, a lot of people paid the amount needed, but in my opinion it is just encouraging others. If people don't pay then it will no more (or less) profitable for those hackers
yes you are right it just encouraging hackers and make them rich in this way they are more powerful and they gathered other hackers and make a crew and start hacking and earn bitcoin, HBO should think about that because promoting hacking will cause trouble for them in future.
well it’s just started and you are right they promote the hackers and making them strong and courage them. Right now we live in an environment where everyone want money in some way, they want to do anything for money, killing, hacking etc. and what is the best part?? The best part is they get money and that’s why they continue doing this stuff.

Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2017, 06:29:00 AM

Yes, it is a sad thing that Bitcoin is being used by the criminals for their illegal activities but we have to consider one thing that the utility of this technology is more than the fiat currencies or any other payment system so it is but obvious that everyone would prefer it over fiat if they are willing to take the benefits of it. There is absolutely zero role of Bitcoin in this crime so blaming it is pointless in my opinion. It's like blaming the internet for stealing money through net banking.
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 06:38:22 AM

Hackers who stole data from HBO have leaked an email from a company executive showing negotiations over a ransom.
The HBO executive said the company would pay $250,000 in bitcoin as a "bug bounty payment."

I can't believe that they're actually willing to pay 250K in Bitcoin just to prevent the scripts from being released.
Even if the scripts were released, I doubt they would lose any fans over it. It's not like that many people would even read it.

Not that I actually care about HBO but the fact those individuals associate bitcoin with it is a call for concern because any time bitcoin comes to the news in a massive way like this, then crime is involved which give people like me a kind of restraint in even trying to expand the news concerning bitcoin which needs to be done unless the market won't grow which is something bad for every one.

Concerning the script, it would mean a lot of loss of money for HBO because considering the amount invested in the script writers aside that imagine the amount they make on box office all over the world which is very far much above the amount those people are asking for.
moooonu

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 06:44:15 AM

Yes, it is a sad thing that Bitcoin is being used by the criminals for their illegal activities but we have to consider one thing that the utility of this technology is more than the fiat currencies or any other payment system so it is but obvious that everyone would prefer it over fiat if they are willing to take the benefits of it. There is absolutely zero role of Bitcoin in this crime so blaming it is pointless in my opinion. It's like blaming the internet for stealing money through net banking.

Using bitcoin to pay shows its potential and how useful it can be. But the bad news is that we can't trace it much. I am pretty much sure the hacker is using best ways to hide himself and to hide his digital footprints. Sooner or later he will be caught.
carrie_white

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 08:22:46 AM

I'm a heavy fan of GOT , when I hear GOT leak, of course a big disappointment arises, if you guys are heavy fans of the GOT just like me, would feel the same, Hbo deserve to do such a thing

Kaller

Activity: 752
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 08:26:45 AM

Every single day there is at least one report of sone major scam here.
It really is sad.
I forget who said it, but I will never forget someone saying Bitcoin is like the Wild, Wild West.
It truly is.
Scammers are everywhere and law enforcement is nowhere to be found.
Only the Sheriff Theymos and Cyrus, but they cannot handle all of the criminals here.
It is sad...
Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2017, 03:17:48 PM

Using bitcoin to pay shows its potential and how useful it can be. But the bad news is that we can't trace it much. I am pretty much sure the hacker is using best ways to hide himself and to hide his digital footprints. Sooner or later he will be caught.

Yes, anonymity gives extra cover to hide and since Bitcoin gives financial ability to make transactions and exchange values without revealing identities, it is one of the favourite modes of payment for hackers. I agree that sooner or later hackers will be in the custody but till then they might expose the leaked data which might cause huge loss to HBO and associated companies. I see this very unfortunate that HBO is willing to pay ransom amount and it is sending a very wrong message that would inculcate the habit of such illegal activities.
The_Dark_Knight

Activity: 840
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 02:31:11 AM

I don't know why they would pay $250,000 in Bitcoin to pay ransom for some scripts that will likely be read a couple times to completion, published and talked about for 3 days, and then forgotten about until their actual episodes come out. At most, there will be spoilers that can come of it, but even that is doubtful and probably won't end up happening in any meaningful manner. People will still subscribe to their channel, they will watch the show, and then probably lose their minds after the series comes to an end, and the books probably won't even be finished before the author dies. Unless he starts to expedite the series and stops taking such a long time writing each novel.
Even if people keep watching the show there are some that may opt for another option, HBO is just a business and they are thinking about maximizing their profits and it is obvious they think these revelations may have an adverse impact on their revenue and that is why they are willing to pay so much.
orions.belt19

Activity: 686
Merit: 146

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 03:00:49 AM

It's hard decision for HBO to choose to pay ransom. Hackers will reach what they wanted and they can continue to do these bad activities. But anyway, $250 000 is not that big money for HBO, if we look how much they earn from Game of Thrones. And if hacked scripts will be released in public, losses may be much bigger.
And I don't think that this bad publicity can affect bitcoin in negative side. It just means that many bitcoins will move in to bad hands.
And it's serious warning for HBO and other companies to to protect their property better

Same thoughts! If this whole thing were true, HBO could have chosen to pay in BTC because hackers may have preferred it since it is not traceable. This may bring a bad association to Bitcoin but "bad publicity is still publicity". It may sound bad that Bitcoin is used in this manner, but it may bring curiosity to the public. In a sense, it will still increase the popularity of Bitcoin. If you were to assess it, it does not necessarily mean that Bitcoin is used in an illegal activity or illegal means. It will just be used by HBO as a payment method, which shows how cool and convenient Bitcoin is!

I'm a GOT fan and I think that despite the leak of the scripts, many will still choose to watch the upcoming episodes especially since I heard that this may be the last series. Perhaps HBO has done this and is willing to pay that huge amount of money just to control the publicity of the show.
jtipt

Activity: 1064
Merit: 529

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 03:23:39 AM

I'm a heavy fan of GOT , when I hear GOT leak, of course a big disappointment arises, if you guys are heavy fans of the GOT just like me, would feel the same, Hbo deserve to do such a thing
I don't really think there is a point of doing it now, firstly the script has already been leaked as far as I know it's very easy to find if you search in right places. But yes its good that HBO are doing this, honestly they don't have another choice even though the leaked script won't probably affect their viewers even the leaked episodes didn't affect it much, but they still need to keep the appearance that they will do anything to avoid such leaks.
skyline247

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 04:04:43 AM

I am pretty sure the hackers are not going to reveal their identities... so let me get this straight... after HBO got hacked, they think giving anonymous hackers $250,000 will stop them from asking for more or selling the scripts elsewhere? Roll Eyes

Sorry, I would not pay a dime and next time increase your cyber security so it doesn't happen again! Tongue
The_Dark_Knight

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 03:45:58 AM

I am pretty sure the hackers are not going to reveal their identities... so let me get this straight... after HBO got hacked, they think giving anonymous hackers $250,000 will stop them from asking for more or selling the scripts elsewhere? Roll Eyes

Sorry, I would not pay a dime and next time increase your cyber security so it doesn't happen again! Tongue
In a way you are right but at the same time they only have that script so they only need to wait until the season is over for the hackers to lose their leverage on them, if I was HBO I will be increasing my security standards as much a possible and will use encryption in every single machine holding information that is so valuable.
vit05

Activity: 672
Merit: 526

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 04:29:06 AM

I have seen 2 episodes that were leaked. And I have still watched when they were aired. If the last one was leaked to next week, I will just watch 2 times.
Juggy777

Activity: 2646
Merit: 686

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 04:33:41 AM

HBO has clearly stated that it won't pay a single penny to these persons and so that the hackers can't release their unaired episodes they themselves decided to do that, that's some strategy, right in the face of hackers. While the world looks at Bitcoin as a taboo is shame, cause these guys know, once it comes Bitcoins they can easily circulate this coins and even take Fiat, you guys are horrible for bringing shame to Bitcoin and I hope they do not pay you a single penny.
cakra

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 04:46:39 AM

The hacker finally creates the latest trend on how to get bitcoin, but that is not a way to emulate. I am afraid, if later they start hacking wallet. Is not that scary?
The_Dark_Knight

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 02:29:20 AM

I have seen 2 episodes that were leaked. And I have still watched when they were aired. If the last one was leaked to next week, I will just watch 2 times.
But you are an exception besides how much money HBO is losing from business that may have like to promote their product while game of thrones was airing, I think they lost a lot since the business owners could always make the argument that since the episodes have been leaked then there is going to be less interest in watching the episodes from the average person.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: