Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:02:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Local crypto class agenda at public library  (Read 201 times)
raymetz100 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 10:41:49 PM

I'm holding my first crypto class tomorrow.  Wish me luck.  I'll let you know how it went afterwards.

Practice using real crypto currency at QA Library

Saturday August 12, 2017 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM, Queen Anne Library Meeting Room, 400 Garfield St, Seattle, WA 98119

Crypto coins can be sent and received with a smart phone or computer, similar to how email works. In class we'll trade real coins, manage our own crypto wallet balance and password by practicing sending and receiving them with other students. It will be similar to a “practice using email” class.  The crypto coin we'll use is Ethereum Classic, ETC, which costs less than 1 cent in transaction fees and confirms transactions in 1 minute.

Bring these supplies if you can:
-Smartphone, tablet, or laptop with camera for scanning barcode account numbers and passwords.  Wi-fi or Internet.
-Notebook, paper, and pen.
-$5 max to practice trading with other students, if desired. $1 bills or quarters are best.  It's ok to trade things other than money like toothpicks(I’ll bring), cookies, crafts, or poems and ok to send crypto coins to others for free.

1.5hr Agenda
4 mins - Ray Intro
7 mins - Student Intros
4 mins - Explain account numbers, public keys
7 mins - Explain account passwords, private keys, security
15 mins - Distribute empty wallets. Demo real paper and web wallets. Also demo empty toothpick wallets
8 mins - Demo how to check wallet balances, students check their empty balances
15 mins - Demo Sending Coins to a student. Explain trading. Send coins until at least half the students have real crypto currency in their crypto wallets. Students verify their new balances. Explain USD exchange rate. Distribute toothpicks as trading tokens
25 mins - Student to student trading and gift sending. Practice sending your own coins with each other. Set your own rules and prices. Be generous if you're able.
5 mins - Wrap it up. Security Reminder. Brainstorm future class ideas

The public library has strict non-commercial rules. If anyone spends or obtains more than $5 of crypto currency from class, I ask them to donate it to the other students during class to share and educate.  It's open to all and ok arrive empty handed. Someone is likely to send you some free crypto currency and you may leave with real crypto coin in a printed paper wallet or smart phone wallet.

Thanks,

Ray Metz
Queen Anne Resident
Former Microsoft developer for 8 years
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: