Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:45:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New video: Why the blocksize limit keeps Bitcoin free and decentralized  (Read 15200 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 02:15:23 AM

Just because the payment processor is using some of his own capital to make transactions efficient does not mean that there needs to be a credit relationship between he and his customers.

I'm having trouble understanding your explanations now. They seem to be more convoluted and vague than they need to be.

A credit relationship exists as soon as a customer deposits BTC with the bank, and is given demand deposits in exchange. The demand deposits are credit, that others accept as BTC, because they trust the bank to be good for them.

Not exactly.

When a person deposits money in any modern bank account, the money both legally and in practice belongs to the bank.  They have a debt to repay to you.  This is not a big deal...it fails catastrophically only once every few generations and is not a major beef I have with banks.  But anyway...

It is perfectly possible to give something to a payment processor which he cannot buy coke with.

Say you wish to make a payment to Bob.  You can tell the processor, "you know that blob I gave you the other day?  I want you to turn some of it into value and give it to Bob."  The payment processor looks around and say, "I found Bob.  Sign this note which will allow me to give some of it to Bob."  I say OK.  Moments later, Bob has some value in his account.

This is a substantively different relationship than I have with my bank, and made possible with advances in technology which the banking system has not caught up with.  And are probably in no hurry to as it would ruin a fair fraction of their revenue stream.  The big difference is that the payment processor has no real incentive to steal my blob because it won't do him any good unless I sign it over to him.

I believe this is the structure alluded to in the video with the "Imagine a plexi-glass bank.  We can use the same methods used to secure the Bitocoin blockchain, blah, blah, blah" but I am only dimply aware of the precise implementation methods.

---

Allow me to bring something back from an earlier post of yours because it is awfully confusing:

In a scenario where BTC is a major global currency, I see almost zero possibility that a large BTC clearing house used by thousands of BTC-banks would not be a traditional financial institution. We're not talking a few thousand transactions a day. We're talking hundreds of millions of transactions, worth hundreds of billions of dollars.

This is not a completely implausible scenario.

Seems to me that there are two choices.

- You transact everything on the Bitcoin blockchain which is in now way suitable for that kind of load and creates a single point of catastrophic failure.

- You utilize a expandable pool of solutions which attempt to meet whatever challenges which pop up and use the Bitcoin blockchain as a static and robust source of truth.

I cannot imagine anyone in their right mind not choosing the latter as the logical way to proceed.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mp420

Activity: 501
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 12:54:57 PM

I do not understand why a miner-voted blocksize limit would be a bad thing. We can even make it very conservative by requiring a high supermajority in order to adjust the limit. Also, this could be implemented as a semi-hardfork (as far as miners are considered; it is unfortunately always a hardfork regarding non-mining full nodes). Just consider not voting a "no change" vote.

Miners have an incentive to try to maximise their real revenue. Too high limit would mean lower fees, too low limit would mean less transactions and lower purchasing power of BTC. The voting process would find the equilibrum where the purchasing power of the miner revenue is as high as possible.

Of course miners wouldn't be voting manually, for the most part. They'd use algorithms that would decide for them, trying to find the ideal strategy for the individual miner.
amincd

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 04:32:49 PM
Last edit: May 31, 2013, 04:46:52 PM by amincd

Just because the payment processor is using some of his own capital to make transactions efficient does not mean that there needs to be a credit relationship between he and his customers.

I'm having trouble understanding your explanations now. They seem to be more convoluted and vague than they need to be.

A credit relationship exists as soon as a customer deposits BTC with the bank, and is given demand deposits in exchange. The demand deposits are credit, that others accept as BTC, because they trust the bank to be good for them.

Not exactly.

When a person deposits money in any modern bank account, the money both legally and in practice belongs to the bank.  They have a debt to repay to you.  This is not a big deal...it fails catastrophically only once every few generations and is not a major beef I have with banks.  But anyway...

Let me first clarify, as my terminology might be unclear/confusing. I'm referring to "bank credit" not as credit extended by the BTC-bank to the consumer, but in the context of credit as a 'claim on an asset', instead of the actual asset. In other words, these promises to pay BTC on demand is what I'm referring to as 'bank credit', and this trust the customer puts in the BTC-bank to pay them back in BTC when they demand it is the 'credit relationship' I'm referring to.

I see a Bitcoin economy reliant on these promissory notes, because a 1 MB block size limit pushed transaction fees to $20, as a perversion of the original promise of Bitcoin. I think relying on BTC-banks and clearing houses to transfer claims on BTC, rather than BTC itself, would take a sledgehammer to Bitcoin entrepreneurship.

My website btctip.com is a good example of an amateur startup that couldn't operate in this high-powered expensive BTC world. On a very active week, I have maybe $20 worth of transactions into/out-of my site. Without low-cost network transactions, these tiny deposits and withdrawals would not be possible.

Instead I would have to accept BTC-credit (promissory notes). In order for my users to deposit BTC-credit into my site, I would have to become a client of a BTC-bank, and my customers would have to have accounts with the same BTC-bank, or a BTC-bank with a credit relationship with my bank, allowing for migration of BTC-credit between accounts on the two banks. This would be difficult, and would probably only give me access to a small percentage of BTC users, rather than all of them, as I have now.

My ability to allow my users to withdraw would likewise be limited to the banks I can manage to connect with.

I would not develop a site in an economy like this, because there would be too many obstacles, my market would be too small, and my disadvantage relative to big players too big.

Say you wish to make a payment to Bob.  You can tell the processor, "you know that blob I gave you the other day?  I want you to turn some of it into value and give it to Bob."  The payment processor looks around and say, "I found Bob.  Sign this note which will allow me to give some of it to Bob."  I say OK.  Moments later, Bob has some value in his account.

This is a substantively different relationship than I have with my bank, and made possible with advances in technology which the banking system has not caught up with.  

You're talking about advances in banking, not in Bitcoin. These same technologies could be used in fiat banking, since they're just transfers of claims, that could be for any asset.

To claim that you're going to develop the technology of modern banking so that a Bitcoin-economy reliant on banks is as easy and seamless as one reliant on nodes is pie in the sky idealism that should not be a factor in deciding what to do with the block size limit.
Stampbit

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 06:37:02 PM

i concur
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 06:46:38 PM

My website btctip.com is a good example of an amateur startup that couldn't operate in this high-powered expensive BTC world. On a very active week, I have maybe $20 worth of transactions into/out-of my site. Without low-cost network transactions, these tiny deposits and withdrawals would not be possible.

Good heavens!  You are already an off-chain processor.  This is great!  It's pretty much sinking in to most people by this time that micro-payments are unrealistic, and a lot of us (including myself) are disappointed...even if we saw it coming years ago.  That is indeed one of the driving forces behind wishing to have a robust 'off-chain' set of solutions.

Your case is a perfect example of a much needed niche to be filled.

If I, as a plain-jane user like someone's micro-blog and wishes to give a micro-transaction in appreciation, I would be happy to see a known entity like 'bittip' or one which I could easily verify as an entity who uses best-practice technology which precludes fraud/theft and produces some reasonable level of transparency.  Happy enough to vastly increase my deployment of 'tips'.

I do anticipate that the same methods which protect your customers from you will be accessible to protect you from any counter-parties you might do business with in an attempt to streamline your operations and reduce costs.

Bitcoin seems like some magic bullet which makes everything free and easy at this point, but that is mainly an artifact of it's being a tiny tiny spec in the global economy at this time.  It will become more expensive and complex as it grows.  We have entities chomping at the bit to subsidize the cost of this growth because they would like to capitalize on some of the value streams it offers.  The larger the entity, and the more they can monopolize the infrastructure, the more value they can realize from the solution.  I, and others, really don't want to see that become the future of Bitcoin.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
aaaxn

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:09:38 PM

Good heavens!  You are already an off-chain processor.  This is great!  It's pretty much sinking in to most people by this time that micro-payments are unrealistic, and a lot of us (including myself) are disappointed...even if we saw it coming years ago.  That is indeed one of the driving forces behind wishing to have a robust 'off-chain' set of solutions.

If I, as a plain-jane user like someone's micro-blog and wishes to give a micro-transaction in appreciation, I would be happy to see a known entity like 'bittip' or one which I could easily verify as an entity who uses best-practice technology which precludes fraud/theft and produces some reasonable level of transparency.  Happy enough to vastly increase my deployment of 'tips'.

I do anticipate that the same methods which protect your customers from you will be accessible to protect you from any counter-parties you might do business with in an attempt to streamline your operations and reduce costs.

Bitcoin seems like some magic bullet which makes everything free and easy at this point, but that is mainly an artifact of it's being a tiny tiny spec in the global economy at this time.  It will become more expensive and complex as it grows.  We have entities chomping at the bit to subsidize the cost of this growth because they would like to capitalize on some of the value streams it offers.  The larger the entity, and the more they can monopolize the infrastructure, the more value they can realize from the solution.  I, and others, really don't want to see that become the future of Bitcoin.
So how exactly you are going to fund your bittip account? Will you be forced fund it $1000 at once just to get reasonable fee? Great user experience Smiley

█
                              █████████                  ██████ 
                      ███████████████████████████   
              ███████████████████████████████   
            ████████████████████████████████   
        █████████████████████████████████     
    ████████████████████████████████████   
    ████████          █████████          █████████   
  ████████                ██████              ████████   
█████████                █████                ████████   
███████████                █                ███████████ 
██████████████                      ██████████████ 
█████████████████            ████████████████ 
███████████████                  ███████████████ 
█████████████                          █████████████ 
███████████              ███                ██████████ 
  ████████              ███████              ███████     
    █████████        █████████          ████████     
        ██████████████████████████████           
              ████████████████████████                 
                  ████████████████████                     
CorionX

Powered by,
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:20:03 PM

So how exactly you are going to fund your bittip account? Will you be forced fund it $1000 at once just to get reasonable fee? Great user experience Smiley

In practice, there would probably be three options from the perspective of the micro-blogger.  (Using $ terms for simplicity.)

- If the tips are, in the range of $0->$10 per month, just provide reference(s) to other processor(s) which are used.

- If the tips are in the $10->$1000 range, count 'bittip' as one of the off-chain processors you use.

- If the tips exceed $1000/mo, request native Bitcoin blockchain operations.

In no case would an up-front deposit be necessary for the micro-blogger.

As a person who wished to be the tip-er, I would anticipate choosing one of the off-chain providers I choose to patronize as the sender.  If I was really into giving tips I may go ahead and set up an account with 'bittip' for that reason alone, but I don't expect that that would be terribly common.

aaaxn

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:23:43 PM

In practice, there would probably be three options from the perspective of the micro-blogger.  (Using $ terms for simplicity.)

- If the tips are, in the range of $0->$10 per month, just provide reference(s) to other processor(s) which are used.

- If the tips are in the $10->$1000 range, count 'bittip' as one of the off-chain processors you use.

- If the tips exceed $1000/mo, request native Bitcoin blockchain operations.

In no case would an up-front deposit be necessary for the micro-blogger.

As a person who wished to be the tip-er, I would anticipate choosing one of the off-chain providers I choose to patronize as the sender.  If I was really into giving tips I may go ahead and set up an account with 'bittip' for that reason alone, but I don't expect that that would be terribly common.
What one would really do facing such options? Use Paypal, dwolla or whatever ;]
You forgot one tiny thing: no one is forced to use bitcoins. If it sucks so much as you describe just don't use it until it is fixed.

█
                              █████████                  ██████ 
              ███████████████████████████████   
            ████████████████████████████████   
    ████████████████████████████████████   
    ████████          █████████          █████████   
  ████████                ██████              ████████   
███████████                █                ███████████ 
██████████████                      ██████████████