Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:37:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU too hot?  (Read 478 times)
GTCG3 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 04:35:48 PM

Hey everyone,

I built a small mining rig of 2 GPU's, 2 GTX 1060 GPU's.

When mining, The first GPU sticks around 63C which is fine, but the other one is around 81C, which is a bit too hot to my liking.

A pic of my setup can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/mREzD The white one is the around 81C.

The reason is not so hard to find. The fans of the white GPU are blowing the air against the other black GPU and it cannot get out. How can I solve this issue? By the way: the case is laying down.

- Is working with risers a way out? Seems a bit strange for a rig with only 2 cards in it...
- Maybe I should get myself another mobo where there is more space between the PCIE slots?
- switching them probably won't solve anything, because in that case the black card would be getting too hot...

Or is 81C nothing to worry about? I've read that certain GPU's can handle 81C, but it will damage the GPU in the long run.

Thanks for your advice!

floppydisk

Activity: 92
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 04:44:24 PM

Hi, quick solution would be
1. Reduce power to each cards (say from 100% to 85%).
2. Just apply auxiliary fan next to the air intake of the cards.
freeyourmind

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 05:38:51 PM

Are you using Afterburner?

Like floppydisk said, start with reducing the power from 100%, and you can set temperature limits, so that the GPU will change the fan speed to cool it down vs. your maximum temperature limit.  You can also manually increase the fan speed, but I prefer not to.

Getting risers would help if you want to mount the GPU's a little farther away.  Try tweaking with Afterburner first, which has no cost.  Your Asus GPU shouldn't be blowing directly to the Gigabyte, but if so, you could also consider switching spots.
cocoinin

Activity: 112
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 07:09:02 PM

you also may try using some extender cable

https://www.google.com/search?q=pci-e+extender%7Cextension%7Criser
GTCG3 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 10:58:03 AM

Thanks for the help guys.

I mounted a small fan in the case to add some extra cooling and tweaked the 3GB GPU a bit to reduce the heat.
The 6GB GPU is now 56C, the other one 66C, with even some slight OC'ing.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: