Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:39:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The First Political Zone to Officially Recognize Cryptocoins  (Read 15099 times)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 12:50:02 PM

"The region’s laws are specifically being designed to have low regulatory barriers and provide residents with the world’s highest degree of freedoms."

Instead of trying to impose "the right laws" from the top down why not be the first society to try poly-centric market based law.
I endorse this approach, and have been studying and building a system I hope to implement on a seastead in the near future. Can't wait. It's such an improvement. Individualism applied to law, agreement-based law and individual sovereignty. It's never been tried and few have even theorized about it in more than general terms.

Oh it's been tried all right. Several times in fact. It always ends in blood, tears and shit sticking to the wall.

Please provide us with some more detail. Specifically where and when are you talking about. You said several times so please be sure to site at least 3 examples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown_Christiania
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Atlantis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Minerva
http://chiefacoins.com/Database/Micro-Nations/Freedonia.htm

ooohhh im sorry i misunderstood you and it was my fault. yes this is a valid criticism.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:30:33 PM

Space zing from outer space zings all the way to outer space. And back.

(But props to OP for manning up to it, I was expecting a page 4 full of Mabsark.)

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
jaywaka2713

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 03:54:20 PM

I love how OP doesn't continue to respond to this discussion. I'm interested in seeing if this will be another Sealand thing, or just a massive boat in the middle of some ocean. If this indeed is true, I can't wait for CNBC and Fox Business to cover it.

farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 10:09:31 PM

What land are you on?

All the land taken in history is either by buying the land, through force or political systems.

Wars are fought over land, I find it hard to believe you have acquired sovereign territory.

If you do not have sovereign territory then your law is ultimately dictated by the people that do have authority over the land.

The only way you have acquired sovereign territory for free with no force is probably the land being questionable, such as a offshore platform or a small island off the coast of the north pole....

EDIT: Sorry if I sound negative its just an extraordinary claim that you have created essentially a new country.

I guess you never heard of berkshire bucks

Berkshire Bucks are an alternative currency that was launched in 2006 in Western Massachussets.  First created by the non-profit the E.F. Schumacher Society, Berkshires continue to grow in populatirty.  To date 2.7 million have been circulated and over four hundred business accept them.

Berkshire Bucks make sense as they encourage people to spend their money locally and also give the consumer a five percent discount.  Thus, when you go to bank to exchange cash for Berkshires you recieve 105 Berkshire for every 100 dollars of normal currency. 
jaywaka2713

Activity: 266

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 10:18:34 PM

Berkshire Bucks are an alternative currency that was launched in 2006 in Western Massachussets.  First created by the non-profit the E.F. Schumacher Society, Berkshires continue to grow in populatirty.  To date 2.7 million have been circulated and over four hundred business accept them.

Berkshire Bucks make sense as they encourage people to spend their money locally and also give the consumer a five percent discount.  Thus, when you go to bank to exchange cash for Berkshires you recieve 105 Berkshire for every 100 dollars of normal currency. 

I've never heard of those. Keeps purchases locally though, while having 5% inflation over the dollar.

farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 10:25:26 PM

I've never heard of those. Keeps purchases locally though, while having 5% inflation over the dollar.

Yeah its a system that works out pretty well, I think they have a lot of farming, so restaurants buy fresh local tomatoes, etc.
capsqrl

Activity: 444

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 01:04:25 PM

Well, the conference has ended now, so I want to ask what became of Yago's talk? Did it happen? What did he say?

Norsk Bitcoin-bruker? Kom til /r/BitcoinNO på reddit!
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 02:39:06 PM

Ha ha.  I hear that the cats really like the cradle's there. :-)

I too am interested in what this turned out to be.  Dreaming is great, but for decades or centuries (or longer) it has been nothing more than that.

Seriously, after a little research I found out where this place is without a doubt:

---------------
San Lorenzo is a tiny, rocky island nation located in the Caribbean Sea, positioned in the relative vicinity of Puerto Rico. San Lorenzo has only one city, its seaside capital of Bolivar. The country's form of government is a dictatorship, under the rule of ailing president "Papa" Monzano, who is a staunch ally of the United States and a fierce opponent of communism. No legislature exists. The infrastructure of San Lorenzo is described as being dilapidated, consisting of worn buildings, dirt roads, an impoverished populace, and having only one automobile taxi running in the entire country.

The language of San Lorenzo is a fictitious English-based creole language that is referred to as "the San Lorenzan dialect." The San Lorenzan national anthem is based on the tune of Home on the Range. Its flag consists of a U.S. Marine Corps corporal's stripes on a blue field (presumably the flag was updated, since in the 1920s Marine Corps rank insignia did not include crossed rifles). Its currency is named corporals, at a rate of two corporals for every United States dollar; both the flag and the monetary unit are named after U.S. Marine Corporal Earl McCabe, who deserted his company while stationed at Port-au-Prince during the American occupation in 1922, and in transit to Miami, was shipwrecked on San Lorenzo. McCabe, along with accomplice Lionel Boyd Johnson from Tobago, would together throw out the island's governing sugar company, and after a period of anarchy, proclaimed a republic.

San Lorenzo also has its own native religion, Bokononism, a religion based on enjoying life through its untruths. Bokononism, founded by McCabe's accomplice Boyd Johnson (pronounced "Bokonon" in San Lorenzan dialect), however, is outlawed - an idea Bokonon himself conceived for the purpose of spreading the religion and making the residents of the island happier. Bokononists are liable to be punished by being impaled on a hook, but Bokononism privately remains the dominant religion of nearly everyone on the island, including the leaders who outlaw it.
FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 06:26:49 PM

I am EXTREMELY interested in the ideas presented in this thread. Please read a little about my political philosophy/plans. I would love to become involved.
http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=collin_county
http://homegrownsouth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=133

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 07:01:14 PM

He's a seasteader. That's why he's talking about zones and regions instead of land. Have fun fighting off pirates.

Fighting pirates?!  With the prospects of life in modern society, this is probably one of the most fun I can think of.

Actually, that would be one of the most noble things you could do in modern society... And if you get really good at fighting Pirates you could start eliminating torturers and other "Hostis humani generis". Like an actual crusade for justice instead of a crusade to spread white blood and old faith.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 07:05:03 PM

Use Bitcoins instead, they are proven to stop bullets!*

*Once you print them onto Kevlar...

I think you just discovered a viable currency... With all the people preparing for economic collapse, and the apocalypse and stuff like that. I really think Kevlar or Carbon Fiber is something that could be traded, and used. Like the Bottle Caps of the Wasteland, but with actual purpose.

The value of the coin is however much you value one square inch of your body, or family, or house. And each coin is just a square inch patch of carbon fiber.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 07:07:32 PM

Just find a part of the world that has real problems, and they won't care what you do with your electronic funny money. I'm thinking Somalia, Kenya (inspired by Larry Page talk), or Pakistan. Another possibility that people have tried is to cozy up with an autocrat. Problem there is you have to always be the highest bidder. So I would tend to favor lawless as opposed to laws administered by corruptible regime.

Nigeria, Kameroon and Samalia.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 07:13:46 PM

Wait. Do they do clothing on your oil platform, OP? Like seaweed bandanas and whaleskin jackets?

Haha, gold!  Wink

No, dummy, gold is horrible for armor purposes. Bullets go right through that crap.

Use Bitcoins instead, they are proven to stop bullets!*

No, see, what we'll have to do is do an A-Team and clad the whole thing in steel plating,

Actually if we get rid of the wholes in the roof we might catapult launch some F14s from there too.

No worries, I've flown those too and I only crash land about 2 out of 3 times.

1. I would stay clear of equipping the ship with anything like F14s, or the UN is just going to get scared and call you a rouge pirate nation.

2. Most pirates are bands of 8 or less, with 1 or less people carrying a heavy weapon. Most of the time they have machetes, ropes and small explosives. So you don't need that shit any ways. I would suggest a running everything like a cruise ship where everyone trades shifts, unless they have enough money to just live there. Then have 1 armory room, and maybe give whoever is on staff tazers and guns with rubber bullets.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 07:33:11 PM

There's a ship, which is Blueseed, and then there are these guys, who are on land. I went to the Blueseed presentation, but was too busy to attend this one. I heard it was a hit, though.

So, OP, are you the Nicaragua guys???
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 10:26:32 PM

Well, someone had to have seen the discussion at the conference.

"World's First Cryptocurrency-based Political Zone" talk (Edan Yago)

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 10:28:21 PM

That's IT....

Someone needs to tell me when the next conference is... I was part of the promotions for the 4/20 rally in Denver and we had over 100,000 people there at once.

I am DEFINTELY advertising the next one, but I need at least 3-6 months heads up.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 10:29:56 PM

That's IT....

Someone needs to tell me when the next conference is... I was part of the promotions for the 4/20 rally in Denver and we had over 100,000 people there at once.

I am DEFINTELY advertising the next one, but I need at least 3-6 months heads up.

I'm not saying I could get 100,000 people. Just defintely more than pictured.

Anenome5

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:36:59 AM

Let's take these one at a time...

>http://chiefacoins.com/Database/Micro-Nations/Freedonia.htm

"Governmentally, they've gone through a few permutations. By a 1992 resolution, they were “a sort of oligarchy.” That system was changed to a presidential republic in 1996, and to a constitutional monarchy in 1997. The constitution was revised in 2000. As of April 1998, their name was modified to reflect their metamorphosis from a “Republic” to a “Principality”... The Head of State is Prince John I (John Alexander Kyle), the prime minister is Dustin Gawrylow."

They clearly had no idea what they were doing. That history shows an endorsement of existing and historical governmental structures, not poly-centric law at all.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Minerva

"Morris C. Davis was elected as Provisional President of the Republic of Minerva."

The sort of society I envision dispenses with politicians entirely. So any time you see a politician, it's not what I was suggesting. Politicians have the power to force policy of citizen-subjects. However, individualist-law means that each person would control their own legal circumstances--constitution a rejection of the idea that anyone can force laws on anyone else.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Atlantis

"The operation set out to do this by launching a ferro-cement boat into the Hudson River in December 1971 which was piloted into an area near the Bahamas. After reaching its destination it eventually sank in a hurricane...

"Stiefel endowed it with a limited government that does not violate the non-aggression principle, thereby making Atlantis acceptable to both limited-government libertarians and anarcho-libertarians."

Basically they never got as far as actually implementing a society.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown_Christiania

"but since the rules require a consensus they cannot be removed unless everybody agrees."

Consensus, ie: voting, ie: giving the group power to force laws on individuals. That's not what I'm proposing either. That is a mere extension of the existing political norm of democracy. It is a continuation, rather than a rejection, of the idea that others should control an individual's legal circumstances.

Democracy is the original 51% attack.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:01:01 AM

OP can't be serious if he says he was talking at the conference but the identity of his "political zone" is still a mystery.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 07:01:45 AM

OP can't be serious if he says he was talking at the conference but the identity of his "political zone" is still a mystery.

I'm pretty sure someone said it's Nicaragua

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: