Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:40:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The First Political Zone to Officially Recognize Cryptocoins  (Read 15099 times)
Yago (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:22:59 PM

Hi, I am Edan Yago. I have been invited to speak at Bitcoin 2013 about a new autonomous region that is going to come into existence by the end of this year. It is the result of many years of dedicated work coming to fruition.

The region’s laws are specifically being designed to have low regulatory barriers and provide residents with the world’s highest degree of freedoms. Freedom, and the experimentation it allows, create prosperity – and our mandate is to create a zone for such prosperity. We have decided to introduce this zone at Bitcoin 2013 because we think it will be of particular interest to you: It will be the first political zone in the world to officially recognize cryptocurrencies.

I am traveling down to the conference today, so I may not be able to be responsive here. But I am interested to hear what questions you have so that I can try and answer them during the talk.

I am excited to finally be able to talk about this and am looking forward to seeing you all.
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:34:29 PM

What land are you on?

All the land taken in history is either by buying the land, through force or political systems.

Wars are fought over land, I find it hard to believe you have acquired sovereign territory.

If you do not have sovereign territory then your law is ultimately dictated by the people that do have authority over the land.

The only way you have acquired sovereign territory for free with no force is probably the land being questionable, such as a offshore platform or a small island off the coast of the north pole....

EDIT: Sorry if I sound negative its just an extraordinary claim that you have created essentially a new country.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:36:47 PM

And as per tradition, unknown noob poster makes vague claims. Herpderp and gl to you.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Yago (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:42:39 PM

What land are you on?

Obviously this is the most important and interesting question. In order to make sure that we do not go through what happened in Honduras again, both we and the host country are obligated not to reveal the location until all legislative and contractual elements are finalized.

And as per tradition, unknown noob poster makes vague claims. Herpderp and gl to you.

MPOE, we have worked very are to cross all our Ts on this one. I was invited to speak at the conference because we are more than a fly-by-night claim. 
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:49:15 PM

He's a seasteader. That's why he's talking about zones and regions instead of land. Have fun fighting off pirates.
Chet

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:51:11 PM

While it might be a lovely thing, its needs a little more meat on the bones to be taken seriously.
wdmw

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:52:20 PM

He's a seasteader. That's why he's talking about zones and regions instead of land. Have fun fighting off pirates.

Fighting pirates?!  With the prospects of life in modern society, this is probably one of the most fun I can think of.
greyhawk

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:52:45 PM

Fighting pirates?!  With the prospects of life in modern society, this is probably one of the most fun I can think of.

I know, right?  Cheesy
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:52:57 PM

What land are you on?

Obviously this is the most important and interesting question. In order to make sure that we do not go through what happened in Honduras again, both we and the host country are obligated not to reveal the location until all legislative and contractual elements are finalized.

If this is actually true then I will await the announcement, to be honest I have nothing to add because its unprecedented. I could think of questions but if you gained actual territory that accepted cryptocurrencies then it could change the world.

I think you'll understand why I will not bother with questions until some announcement is made. This is high level stuff that would be discussed at the highest levels of power.

Its highly likely your trolling, I would love to be proven wrong on this one though!

BTW, by actual territory I mean real land that is at least larger than several KM squared. Having your country on a platform or a ship is not really going to send vibrations through the political and economic world and would further make Bitcoin seem like some wacko currency.
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:54:23 PM

Unfortunately the pirates would be modern too, with AK-47's and perhaps some grenades. Smiley
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 03:54:49 PM

France is unregulated too.
You can do whatever you want as long as you don't get caught :-)

greyhawk

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:57:00 PM

Unfortunately the pirates would be modern too, with AK-47's and perhaps some grenades. Smiley

Dude, I've played video games all my life. That's nothing I can't handle.
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:58:58 PM

I would pay to see greyhawk having some intense firefight with some pirates! That would define entertainment. Smiley
greyhawk

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:00:25 PM

I would pay to see greyhawk having some intense firefight with some pirates! That would define entertainment. Smiley

Oh god, I need to go shopping. I need a bandana and an 80s leather jacket.

Wait. Do they do clothing on your oil platform, OP? Like seaweed bandanas and whaleskin jackets?
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:02:57 PM

Wait. Do they do clothing on your oil platform, OP? Like seaweed bandanas and whaleskin jackets?

Haha, gold!  Wink
greyhawk

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:03:51 PM

Haha, gold!  Wink

No, dummy, gold is horrible for armor purposes. Bullets go right through that crap.
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:08:23 PM

Haha, gold!  Wink

No, dummy, gold is horrible for armor purposes. Bullets go right through that crap.

Use Bitcoins instead, they are proven to stop bullets!*

*Once you print them onto Kevlar...
Zeke_Vermillion

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:09:21 PM

Just find a part of the world that has real problems, and they won't care what you do with your electronic funny money. I'm thinking Somalia, Kenya (inspired by Larry Page talk), or Pakistan. Another possibility that people have tried is to cozy up with an autocrat. Problem there is you have to always be the highest bidder. So I would tend to favor lawless as opposed to laws administered by corruptible regime.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 04:10:22 PM

Hi, I am Edan Yago. I have been invited to speak at Bitcoin 2013 about a new autonomous region that is going to come into existence by the end of this year. It is the result of many years of dedicated work coming to fruition.

The region’s laws are specifically being designed to have low regulatory barriers and provide residents with the world’s highest degree of freedoms. Freedom, and the experimentation it allows, create prosperity – and our mandate is to create a zone for such prosperity. We have decided to introduce this zone at Bitcoin 2013 because we think it will be of particular interest to you: It will be the first political zone in the world to officially recognize cryptocurrencies.

I am traveling down to the conference today, so I may not be able to be responsive here. But I am interested to hear what questions you have so that I can try and answer them during the talk.

I am excited to finally be able to talk about this and am looking forward to seeing you all.

Dear Edan, could you please explain what "recognizing crypto-currencies" means in the context of an "unregulated" country.
Why would you even need to recognize crypto-currencies in any way if you're keeping the book of law as thin as possible ?
Hardly makes sense to me. But I'm genuinely interested in the answer.

An unregulated country would need two basic laws "Don't do to others what you wouldn't want them to do to you", and "mind your own fucking business". Other than that I don't really see any other things that could add value.

Guess we'll see what comes out of the conference, but feel free to answer here nonetheless :-)

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:11:33 PM

I'd rather fight pirates than bureaucrats. And yes, I _have_ thought this through.

And while modern pirates come equipped with AK47's, modern bureaucrats come equipped with M4's. And flash bangs. APC's. C4. And more.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: