Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 04:05:49 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which exchanges do you trust and do not trust?  (Read 1268 times)
tupacshomey (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:39:16 PM

Have been using BTC-E for a short time and have not had issues, I know of the existence of Campbx and Vircurex.
I suppose you could seperate your answers into...

1. Which exchanges for bitcoin?

2. Which exchanges for other currencies?    <--- if you even bother with them

Thanks for any feedback
bitcoinomics

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:44:06 PM

Be careful and expect some unforeseeable hidden fees. When comparing sites, make sure to look at payment in fees, payment out fees as well as transaction fees. The site may also display the payment in USD instead of EUR. This does not mean that they have actually exchanged the payment from one currency to another. They may simply be a tricky way of charging the customer more money.

Also, there may be account verification costs.

Do not use third party sites or the bitcoin wiki for this information as it is often outdated or simply incorrect. Contact support directly.
bitcoinscanada

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 06:41:11 PM

Where do you live?
zahra4576

Activity: 32

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 07:04:01 PM

I have greater trust on btc-e than any exchages.
hashkey

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 09:08:02 PM

From most trusted to least trusted: MtGox, BitStamp, BTC-E

[WTS] 📞 Voice Call & 📩 SMS PV Services 📲 [non-US] ⏱️ Fast Service ✔️️✔️️✔️️ |
"Your effort to remain what you are is what limits you." ~ Puppet Master
el_Tico

Activity: 88

"Fly you fools"

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 09:38:21 PM

At this moment, I don't fully trust any exchanges. Best place to hold BTC is in your personal wallet after you buy fom the exchange with the lowest price.

I'm hoping Buttercoin lives up to the hype.

http://buttercoin.net/
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 09:44:14 PM

I don't fully trust any of them.

I give BTC-e cred for how they handled being hacked though.

I'm grumpy!!
tingwahk

Activity: 37

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 11:32:30 PM

MtGox is the largest.  I've used them several times and have always been happy with their service
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 11:44:40 PM

I trust Bitstamp. I like their interface and trading system better than any other exchange. Bank transfers are very fast, fees are reasonable.

I guess MtGox is also OK (although they're way more expensive) but since they're still the largest, I prefer alternatives. It's better for Bitcoin if there is more competition. If there is just ONE "major player" on the exchange market, it makes Bitcoin very vulnerable. Right now, if MtGox would suddenly be closed, Bitcoin might largely collapse. That's just retarded.

I refuse to use BTC-E because of their ridiculous funding and withdrawal options. Just support frigging bank transfers damnit. Expensive shit like OKPay or Interkassa: screw that.

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 12:49:10 AM

At this moment, I don't fully trust any exchanges. Best place to hold BTC is in your personal wallet after you buy fom the exchange with the lowest price.

I'm hoping Buttercoin lives up to the hype.

http://buttercoin.net/

+473 to that

If they succeed, we might expect several exchanges to pop up, then it's about deciding weather you trust the people running them etc.
-But startup will be much easier.

I hope that we will get a system where there are many exchanges in different countries that does more or less automatic arbitrating between them.
There could be several hubs that do the exchange between exchanges with some redundancy. That way it becomes more like a node-system like at the interweb.

A system like this will be a lot harder to disrupt and ddos than a few large exchanges.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
justmyname

Activity: 389

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:24:15 AM

Blockchain has been about the worst. They quoted close to 5.12 bitcoins and I received only 3.8 on my final deal with them. The bit coin  price did not change to justify the rip off.  You also lose over 5% in charges to pay them. It also seemed as though my theft proof wallet had a leak in it up on their site.  Angry

I like Coin Base the best. You wire the money for very little charges and receive exactly what you agreed on unless the price changes too much. They will cancel it if it goes against them excessively.  I think you can also cancel if the price goes against you. It takes 4 working days for the coins to arrive to your wallet on their site.    Grin

GRILLMASTER

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:58:48 AM

Gox and BTC-e
justmyname

Activity: 389

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 02:32:27 AM

I have an unused account on Gox. But I notice they always crash and get hacked. You also have to go through expensive middle men companies. Sort of like Blockchain.

Once you have bit coins you can send them up to BTC-e to trade for other coins if you want. I never keep a balance on BTC-e. Just send the coins to my personal wallet. I never send cash to BTC-e because of the expense of third party middle men.     
afrotec

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

Coinnoisseur

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 02:56:00 AM

I trust Gox - 2 accounts with them, one verified
Campbx - have an account but never used em, seems legit
btc-e - also legit, i trade alt-coins here (just ltc) and the btc is cheaper in comparison to gox

for crypto-securities I us btct.co and i've heard bitfunder is also good
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 02:58:38 AM
Last edit: May 22, 2013, 08:45:02 PM by freedomno1

cavirtex havelock btc-e canadianbitcoins users lightbox Thickasthieves friedcat Smiley

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
baltazar

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 04:57:40 AM

I never had any problems at btc-e, mtgox and bitcoin.de
Torn

Activity: 108

Free Dog to good home

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 05:14:50 AM

Thanks all above for info. Important for us newbs to hear.. Thanks.
T.

Will not trade sex for coins regardless of rumors! You may still attempt if you want.
imaclick

Activity: 20

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 05:25:40 AM

Mostly using MTgox and BTC-e, and BTC-e is the only place i know that can trade alt-coins.
BitErotic

Activity: 11

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 02:10:25 PM

As a canadian, i really like CaVirtEx for getting money in and out. They seem pretty trustworthy. Then for my day trading needs, as much flak as they get, mt.gox seems like a pretty safe bet. IMO
WeedGrassDope

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 02:23:55 PM

I don't trust any of them, but I have had an easy, successful transaction with CampBX.  They do not require ID verification before transacting. I setup the account and completed a transaction in about an hour, including withdrawing the BTC to my wallet.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: