Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:11:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGOX exchange rate artificially high  (Read 3484 times)
wormbog (OP)

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:01:20 PM

Check out the exchange rates, gox is substantially higher that the other exchanges:

http://bitcoinity.org/markets/list?currency=USD&span=24h

With the Dwolla account freeze, people with money at gox who rely on dwolla can buy btc and move it out, but they can't sell for USD and get their money out of the exchange. Thus, more people buying bitcoin, resulting in a higher price.

Good arbitrage opportunity for gox account holders who don't rely on dwolla.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Zaih

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:13:24 PM

Yeh noticed that too. I'm sure it'll quickly make itself less apparent as people catch on
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:33:46 PM

It was like this for most of the big rally, Mt.Gox tends to lead price.

Arbitrage is feasible, and it closes the gaps.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 04:35:39 PM

can't they wire the money???

BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:36:10 PM

It's funny, because all the noobs assumed that the dwolla freeze would drive price DOWN, WAY DOWN.

However, it is well known by most of us that some of the price difference in exchanges is due to ease/difficulty in getting USD in or out. For instance. BTC-e was always typically lower, and I'm sure the difficulty in getting USD in partly contributed to the imbalance on the buy side. And Bitfloor was INCREDIBLY easy, one simply had to walk into mordor bank of america and cash deposit, you had your USD ready to trade in 30 minutes. Bitfloor price tended to be a few dollars higher than Gox price at all times. Other exchanges also presented unique arbitrage opportunities depending on their funding methods.

Right now, we might be seeing a very slight buy/sell imbalance at Gox due to the Dwolla freeze.

But since the Gox price is used the most as reference, due to the liquidity, Department of Homeland Security's actions potentially (depending on if you believe there is an imbalance) caused the price of BTC in the most-referenced market to rise. And even if people are selling on other exchanges - it won't offset the increase because people on other exchanges have an interesting tendency to look to the Gox price for reference and confirmation of trend analysis. Gox price pulls other exchanges, rather than vice versa. Very interesting situation we have.

Noobs were wrong. I was right. What else is new?

Oh, don't forget that Gox is usually higher than the other exchanges anyways. So maybe we're just reading into this a bit too much, folks Wink
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 04:39:55 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2013, 04:55:07 PM by davout

Your Bitcointalk account.

relm9

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:53:27 PM

With how slow Bitcoin deposits / withdrawls are on Gox right now I don't know if arbitrage would be effective.

I withdrew some BTC over 12 hours ago and it hasn't even showed up on Blockchain yet. Not sure if it's a  glitch in their system or what, still waiting on support...
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:00:14 PM

Not easy getting USD out of BTC-E. And Bitstamp sell pressure is scary as hell right now. This looks pretty iffy.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 05:07:08 PM

is their no way to withdraw USD out of gox,

can't they just wire money?

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:08:56 PM

They can. International Bank Transfers are working fine.

The price is genuinely increasing, it's not because of a "bank run". This is evidenced in that there is no major decoupling of MtGox from other exchanges. That MtGox leads the price a bit is normal.
MAbtc

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:13:20 PM

If someone in the US wants fiat and is worried about Gox's immediate future, they may not want incoming wires coming from Gox. The intermediary bank accounts in the US could be ripe for seizure. Now, I'd like to think that Gox would make it right if some bank accounts got taken, but one can't be sure. Personally, I've been screwed twice by offshore payment processors (Usemywallet and ewalletxpress), who, when "my cashouts" were seized by the feds, basically said "fuck off, we don't have your money" and cut off communication. Not the same situation, but not so different.
MAbtc

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:18:17 PM

They can. International Bank Transfers are working fine.

The price is genuinely increasing, it's not because of a "bank run". This is evidenced in that there is no major decoupling of MtGox from other exchanges. That MtGox leads the price a bit is normal.

What do you think about the big decrease in sell pressure on Gox, and the big increase in sell pressure on Bitstamp? I'm not sure about the other exchanges.

Have you turned bullish in the short and/or medium term?
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:25:14 PM

Your Bitcointalk account.

You missed the part about relativity  Grin

Naturally I am only insulting people who joined 2 weeks ago and are spreading fud about a bank run (when the Gox lead is natural, it's like people just noticed it and are attributing it to this recent DHS action)

P.S. I could be one of those people who ditches their account every few months and starts a new throwaway B)
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:39:29 PM

What do you think about the big decrease in sell pressure on Gox, and the big increase in sell pressure on Bitstamp? I'm not sure about the other exchanges.

https://i.imgur.com/luvKcBH.png

I took notice of it, but the price on Bitstamp is following MtGox's. It may simply be a matter of competition with MtGox shrinking a little as people have more concern.

Bullish for the short term at least. We've overcome a major horizontal resistance.
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 06:03:11 PM

With how slow Bitcoin deposits / withdrawls are on Gox right now I don't know if arbitrage would be effective.

I withdrew some BTC over 12 hours ago and it hasn't even showed up on Blockchain yet. Not sure if it's a  glitch in their system or what, still waiting on support...

If they're that slow, it's probably  because they're having to move BTC out of cold storage.

(BFL)^2 < 0
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 06:51:14 PM

Check out the exchange rates, gox is substantially higher that the other exchanges:

With the Dwolla account freeze, people with money at gox who rely on dwolla can buy btc and move it out, but they can't sell for USD and get their money out of the exchange. Thus, more people buying bitcoin, resulting in a higher price.

Two words for USD holders: Wire Transfer

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 06:58:47 PM

Two words for USD holders: Wire Transfer

f that
1 word

BITCOIN

Brunic

Activity: 632

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 10:32:13 PM

Hahaha, what an odd situation. It look like people are buying at Mt. Gox and selling at Bitstamp to get out of the market. But since there is a lack of buyers at Bitstamp, they have nobody to sell to.

I'm curious to see how it will end.
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 11:29:14 PM

Hahaha, what an odd situation. It look like people are buying at Mt. Gox and selling at Bitstamp to get out of the market. But since there is a lack of buyers at Bitstamp, they have nobody to sell to.

I'm curious to see how it will end.

+283

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:40:32 AM

arbitriage will correct it, and if not, it's high for a reason.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: