Bitcoin Forum
October 11, 2024, 12:22:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 28.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I am willing to get a mining rig. Opinions?  (Read 1202 times)
pedromtorres (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:41:20 PM

Hi have been reading few stuff about bitcoin mining. The most interesting until now for me was the BFL jalapeno. but they're still not shipping... and it would take a lot to get them.
I am wanted to get one right away. I was looking to get a whole PC with graphic cards, but i saw someone saying i wouldnt get my money back.
I saw this Klondike board someone in this forum is developping. And the other mini usb board, but it costs 300$ for 300mh/s which i think is very expensive!

any ideas?
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 04:47:38 PM

Well all you really need is a cheap low end system and then throw a good card or two, such as a 7970 or 5970, and then you have sort of a budget miner. Mining bitcoins really doesn't require much CPU power or RAM, just a decent graphics card or two. Or you could wait until ASICS are easy to get, but that might be awhile...
pedromtorres (OP)

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:50:33 PM

Well all you really need is a cheap low end system and then throw a good card or two, such as a 7970 or 5970, and then you have sort of a budget miner. Mining bitcoins really doesn't require much CPU power or RAM, just a decent graphics card or two. Or you could wait until ASICS are easy to get, but that might be awhile...

the problem is that people say when the ASICS come out it will be way harder to mine bitcoin
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 08:36:17 PM

the problem is that people say when the ASICS come out it will be way harder to mine bitcoin

Then don't get a mining rig...

There is no sure answers, but you could also mine scrypt coins with a rig. But then again, when ASICS really hits the market, most existing riggs will switch to scrypts.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
OnlyC

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 09:48:46 PM

VGA cards, ASIC is not currently available for order.
zeroblock

Activity: 238

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 09:49:48 PM

Don't get a mining rig would be the best answer.
thecodyshow

Activity: 30

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 10:21:53 PM

i want to mine as well so bad!
IonicHaxor

Activity: 4

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 10:50:26 PM

By the way, i'm another newbie like pedromtorres and i have the same question about equipments to use for mining...
I would like to know if this graphic card is worth of bitmining or for at least to start bitmining...

I can get it for a low price so i am really interest to know if its worth it.

RadeonHD5450   1GB DDR3 Up to 2.8GB HyperMemory Support...
AMD Stream Tecnology
HDMI
DirectX11
40nm process low power
Malawi

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 10:56:36 PM

By the way, i'm another newbie like pedromtorres and i have the same question about equipments to use for mining...
I would like to know if this graphic card is worth of bitmining or for at least to start bitmining...

I can get it for a low price so i am really interest to know if its worth it.

RadeonHD5450   1GB DDR3 Up to 2.8GB HyperMemory Support...
AMD Stream Tecnology
HDMI
DirectX11
40nm process low power

Sorry... Not really. It will most likely give less than 20Mhash.

Unless you have free power, it will cost more to mine than the result is worth.

IonicHaxor

Activity: 4

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 11:04:35 PM

I will get free power in some weeks, can i tell me more or less how mutch bitcoins can that give me in a month with 2 or 3 grafic card like that?

The thing is that i can get it for 20€ so its a good deal if i can mine some good stuff to get some profit, just to see how it works before i make a big investiment.

By the way, thank you very muth for the answer Cheesy
Malawi

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 11:18:38 PM

I will get free power in some weeks, can i tell me more or less how mutch bitcoins can that give me in a month with 2 or 3 grafic card like that?

The thing is that i can get it for 20€ so its a good deal if i can mine some good stuff to get some profit, just to see how it works before i make a big investiment.

By the way, thank you very muth for the answer Cheesy

We are talking in the range of 0.0009BTC/0.11$ per 24 hrs/card at current difficulty and price. The difficulty will only go up(quite steeply if there is a flood of ASCIS). Prices are more uncertain, so I leave it to you to evaluate that part.

BTW: 20Mhash is a high evaluation, 15Mhash would be a more certain output.

I would advice against buying the cards unless it's just for the fun of it. You are not likely to make any profit even with free electricity unless you can mine a month or three for less than $10/card and then sell the cards at the same price you bought them at.

tingwahk

Activity: 37

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 11:53:17 PM

You can see how much BTC you can mine using this calculator
http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/

You'll need to know the Mhz speed of the equipment which you can get
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison
GuiltySpark343

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 12:28:07 AM

Ask yourself why you want to get a mining rig? For fun? A hobby? Or to become rich? If it is for fun or hobby, then great! If it is to become rich, forget it!

You can get any cheap computer, cheap CPU/RAM. Don't need a big HDD or SDD. Most important is the GPU and a big enough power supply unit to run it. Definitely get AMD GPU, not Nvidia for mining.

As others said, go here and pick a GPU, but most people think a 7950 is a great choice for price/watt and price/hash ratio:

Now take the hash rate (NOT MHz speed) of the GPU you picked and put into calculator:

For a 7950 with 550 MH/s, you will get about 0.0247 BTC/day at current network difficulty level. Keep in mind that as the network's whole hash rate increases, the difficulty will also increase. Meaning you will earn less and less BTC over time.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
Ƀ:17wbDetEw2aESM5oWXbm5ih9NSdDruyWNT
chauncywicks

Activity: 35

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:09:17 AM

I'd diversify with a number of ASIC providers, and start small. Find the company that you like and stick with them.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 3391

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:58:21 AM

Ask yourself why you want to get a mining rig? For fun? A hobby? Or to become rich? If it is for fun or hobby, then great! If it is to become rich, forget it!

You can get any cheap computer, cheap CPU/RAM. Don't need a big HDD or SDD. Most important is the GPU and a big enough power supply unit to run it. Definitely get AMD GPU, not Nvidia for mining.

As others said, go here and pick a GPU, but most people think a 7950 is a great choice for price/watt and price/hash ratio:

Now take the hash rate (NOT MHz speed) of the GPU you picked and put into calculator:

For a 7950 with 550 MH/s, you will get about 0.0247 BTC/day at current network difficulty level. Keep in mind that as the network's whole hash rate increases, the difficulty will also increase. Meaning you will earn less and less BTC over time.

Good advice. Let's say you buy a cheap computer with a 7950. It will cost you $600 or so ($300 for the 7950).

If you mine 0.0247 BTC/day, you will make about $3 per day at the current price, but don't forget about electricity. Electricity rates vary, but let's say electricity costs $0.75/day. The net is then $2.25/day.

At $2.25/day, you will pay for your mining equipment and start making a profit in about 9 months.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
GRILLMASTER

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 02:00:20 AM

You should just buy bitcoins.
11Blade

Activity: 15

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 02:21:50 AM

You are more likely to make more money by using the money for your mining rig and buying bitcoins and letting them appreciate.

GuiltySpark343

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 02:38:29 AM

You are more likely to make more money [...] buying bitcoins and letting them appreciate.

I tell my Bitcoins I appreciate them every day! My Litecoins on the other hand ...  Cheesy

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
Ƀ:17wbDetEw2aESM5oWXbm5ih9NSdDruyWNT
impatrick

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 02:45:04 AM

Don't buy a rig, buy Bitcoins. You can't even come close to profitability. Be an investor, not a miner.
11Blade

Activity: 15

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 02:57:06 AM

You are more likely to make more money [...] buying bitcoins and letting them appreciate.

I tell my Bitcoins I appreciate them every day! My Litecoins on the other hand ...  Cheesy

those damn litecoins..  no respect
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: