Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 06:32:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Questions.  (Read 362 times)
PeterRothenberg (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 02:28:29 AM

I'd like to get into Altcoin mining. I'm a total beginner though and know nothing. Are most mining rigs only meant for one coin? If I spend the money on the rig will I be able to use it with most coins?
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 04:05:57 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2017, 04:22:09 AM by Vann

Yes. Unlike ASIC's which is specialized mining hardware for a specific POW algorithm, modern GPU's are able to mine all types of POW algorithms, including many that can't be mined by ASIC's, at least for now. To mine Ethash type coins like Ethereum, you need GPU's with at least 3 GB of VRAM.
Sev18

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 12:09:30 PM

Start with GTX1060 6GB 6-ways.
Quite easy for beginners.

■■■■■■■  Multi-Algo Switching Manager - MULTIPOOL MULTIALGO Profit Switch Launcher  ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■             https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2041971             ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■                           Download Now!                           ■■■■■■■
PeterRothenberg (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 02:00:49 PM

Yes. Unlike ASIC's which is specialized mining hardware for a specific POW algorithm, modern GPU's are able to mine all types of POW algorithms, including many that can't be mined by ASIC's, at least for now. To mine Ethash type coins like Ethereum, you need GPU's with at least 3 GB of VRAM.

Are most new coins POW? Is POS the future? And can I probably run that from my home without blowing a fuse, I live in the US if that helps.
botmanside

Activity: 138
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 02:19:09 PM

forget about any mining, when you lazy to take a bit of time to read some basics, we dont really need in here another
stupid 100 times answered questions...

RTFF && RTFM...
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 02:41:21 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2017, 03:09:31 PM by Vann

Are most new coins POW? Is POS the future? And can I probably run that from my home without blowing a fuse, I live in the US if that helps.

Most coins currently are POW. Nobody knows for sure what the future will bring but IMO, POW GPU mining isn't going away anytime soon. In fact I think it may become more mainstream. BBT did an excellent presentation and overview on the state of Crypto and insights of where POW mining is going. Highly worth watching even if you're not new to Crypto. The beginning is on PSU configurations for mining rigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEedQT0oGYw

In the second part of the presentation, BBT goes into his overview on the current and future state of GPU mining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEedQT0oGYw&feature=youtu.be&t=1361

How many rigs you can run depends mostly on your electrical panel capacity. Most households can easily run between 3-5 six GPU rigs. Another consideration is heat dissipation. Any more than 2-3 rigs and you're likely going to need to find a way to exhaust the heat buildup from mining.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: