Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:35:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Have I lost my first Ether?  (Read 339 times)
tezdread (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 03:01:15 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2017, 03:19:17 AM by tezdread

Hi all, everything feels doom n gloom right now because I don't know if I have lost the Ether that I just transferred into the wallet so hopefully someone can help me.

I downloaded the Ethereum Wallet from the github from the Mist realeases, I installed it on my Linux Mint laptop and opened it. I was prompted with 2 options, to use the Main Ethereum network or the test network and chose the main network and went to the next screen where it asks if I have a wallet file (ethereum_wallet_backup.json) I don't so clicked Skip.

On the next page I entered a password for a new account and then on the next screen. Here it showed my wallet address and a button that opened a new window for exchanging BTC - ETH. I exchanged some BTC on shapshift.io instead of this part of the app/wallet and the transfer went through and I had ETH in the wallet.

While I was doing this I was (and still am) waiting for the Blockchain to fully sync so closed the wallet window and let it carry on sync'ing but then...I hit the back button and it took me to the start page where I select the Main Network or Test, so I click main and after the screen where it has the drag n drop option then the password screen. I don't want to do anything more here without advise. Do I enter the password I used before and will that restore my wallet with the new ETH or a new password and get my wallet another way?

There is 1 file in the .ethereum/keystore directory, that is time/date stamped? 'UTC--2017-08-12T23-16-02.959510769Z--03fcd5398a3fe8...........'

I'm going to leave it to finish with the sync and hopefully someone can help.

Thanks,
(a worried newcomer to cryptocurrency)

Maybe I should've just left it alone. I dragged the file from the keyfiles dir into the drop screen and it crashed to app. Relaunched it and it's sync'ing again but looks different and now has a 'Launch Application' button, when I press this it opens a wallet but not with my ETH.

I fear the worst.

Filmmmakerr

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

Hello. Bye.

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 07:29:35 AM

Did you send it out?

Campaign Manager (2018)
Laneqwer

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 02:58:31 AM

The first time I have lost, but it is a lesson learned for the next time ... Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: