Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:57:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 1.5MM Investment to Bitinstant Led by Winklevoss Capital  (Read 2885 times)
Ultraviolet (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 06:18:18 PM

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/17/with-1-5m-led-by-winklevoss-capital-bitinstant-aims-to-be-the-go-to-site-to-buy-and-sell-bitcoins/
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 07:19:31 PM

News just gets better and better.

more or less retired.
WikileaksDude

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 07:28:24 PM

This is G00D!
bobdude17

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 07:33:48 PM

The funny thing is that they did it last fall, they are announcing it now.
superduh

Activity: 602

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 08:56:57 PM

Im glad vcs are taking this seriously

ok
bozak

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:19:17 AM

In the VC world, this type of money is still chump change.  So far, Coinbase has the largest investment at 5 mil.  Bitcoin won't really be taken seriously until we have a 100 mil VC investment and a few IPOs. 
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:20:52 AM

In the VC world, this type of money is still chump change.  So far, Coinbase has the largest investment at 5 mil.  Bitcoin won't really be taken seriously until we have a 100 mil VC investment and a few IPOs. 

Yeah IPO is so important LMAO I doubt any bitcoin company will IPO on the stock exchange, that goes against what bitcoin is and that means the company is a sell out, and I know I would never use that company again.
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 06:14:01 AM

Yeah IPO is so important LMAO I doubt any bitcoin company will IPO on the stock exchange, that goes against what bitcoin is and that means the company is a sell out, and I know I would never use that company again.

Why does being a publicly traded company "go against what bitcoin is"?
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 06:55:03 AM

is it hard to see that some proponents of bitcoin are against centralized corruption that the banks and wall street have inflicted upon this world?
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 06:56:08 AM

In the VC world, this type of money is still chump change.  So far, Coinbase has the largest investment at 5 mil.  Bitcoin won't really be taken seriously until we have a 100 mil VC investment and a few IPOs.  

I don't know maybe cause out of wall st and big banks came bitcoin...
dave111223
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 07:18:04 AM

In the VC world, this type of money is still chump change.  So far, Coinbase has the largest investment at 5 mil.  Bitcoin won't really be taken seriously until we have a 100 mil VC investment and a few IPOs.  

Hmm...what?  So for example if I have a company making shoes, I want to make a lot more shoes and get a lot more customers so in order to raise the capital required to build new factories, hire more employees, and get more machines I sell off some ownership shares in my company to the public....

Somehow in doing this I have gone against Bitcoin?
Zaih

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:58:48 AM

Can't really go wrong with news like this. Good luck BitInstant. Let's hope this goes well eh
Logik

Activity: 315
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:08:23 PM

I think the point was that listing on a $USD denominated stock exchange is going against what Bitcoin is. Listing on a Bitcoin denominated stock exchange would presumably be different.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
   ████████████████████████████████   
     ▀██████████████████████████▀     
        ▀████████████████████▀       
          ████████████████▀         
            █████████████           
            ▀████████████▀           
             ▀██████████▀             
              ██████████             
               ████████               
               ▀██████▀               
                ██████               

trade.io.
██████
██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
██████

▄██████████████████▄
███       ▀███████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███              ██
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███              ███
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
███████████▀ ███████
█████████▀   ███████
███████▀     ██▀ ███
███ ▀▀       █▄▄████
███          █▀▀▀▀██
███ ▄▄       ███████
██████▄     █▄ ▀███
█████████▄   ███▄███
███████████▄ ███████
▀██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
████████████████████
███████████████▀▀ ██
█████████▀▀     ███
████▀▀     ▄█▀   ███
███▄    ▄██      ███
█████████▀      ▄██
█████████▄     ████
█████████████▄ ▄████
████████████████████
▀██████████████████▀
██████
██████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
██████
██████
.Join the Trading Revolution.
dave111223
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 12:57:27 PM

I think the point was that listing on a $USD denominated stock exchange is going against what Bitcoin is. Listing on a Bitcoin denominated stock exchange would presumably be different.

I guess if you are of opinion that any transaction that does not involve Bitcoin is "going against Bitcoin" then sure...I'm not sure how you would function in a society today with this kind of mindset, as I don't think it would be possible to only transact in solely Bitcoin for everything; does this mean "everyone is against Bitcoin"
Logik

Activity: 315
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:02:19 AM

I guess if you are of opinion that any transaction that does not involve Bitcoin is "going against Bitcoin" then sure...I'm not sure how you would function in a society today with this kind of mindset, as I don't think it would be possible to only transact in solely Bitcoin for everything; does this mean "everyone is against Bitcoin"

No, it does not mean that. It needn't be such a binary issue. It's not that USD transactions mean anything in particular, but the major US stock markets are something of a staple of the legacy economy; churches of the religion of money, if you will. Assuming we agree that the point of Bitcoin is to displace legacy monetary institutions, surely you could see how someone could consider it going against Bitcoin to use them.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
   ████████████████████████████████   
     ▀██████████████████████████▀     
        ▀████████████████████▀       
          ████████████████▀         
            █████████████           
            ▀████████████▀           
             ▀██████████▀             
              ██████████             
               ████████               
               ▀██████▀               
                ██████               

trade.io.
██████
██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
██████

▄██████████████████▄
███       ▀███████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███              ██
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███              ███
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
███████████▀ ███████
█████████▀   ███████
███████▀     ██▀ ███
███ ▀▀       █▄▄████
███          █▀▀▀▀██
███ ▄▄       ███████
██████▄     █▄ ▀███
█████████▄   ███▄███
███████████▄ ███████
▀██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
████████████████████
███████████████▀▀ ██
█████████▀▀     ███
████▀▀     ▄█▀   ███
███▄    ▄██      ███
█████████▀      ▄██
█████████▄     ████
█████████████▄ ▄████
████████████████████
▀██████████████████▀
██████
██████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
██████
██████
.Join the Trading Revolution.
dave111223
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 04:07:58 AM

No, it does not mean that. It needn't be such a binary issue. It's not that USD transactions mean anything in particular, but the major US stock markets are something of a staple of the legacy economy; churches of the religion of money, if you will. Assuming we agree that the point of Bitcoin is to displace legacy monetary institutions, surely you could see how someone could consider it going against Bitcoin to use them.

How is US stock market any more a staple of the "legacy economy" than going to the Kwik-E-mart and buying a candy bar with a US dollar bill.  They both perpetuate the use of US dollars, and the legacy economy as a whole...if fact the collective use of US Dollars at the Kwik-E-Mart does more of perpetuate the use of the fiat than does the stock market.

You previously stated that it wasn't the issuing of public stock that you took issue with, but the fact that the stock was sold for US dollars....so somehow:

Public Stocks != Against Bitcoin
US Dollar Transaction != Against Bitcoin
Stocks + US Dollar Transaction == Against Bitcoin

Flawed logik
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 04:35:07 AM

Hmm...what?  So for example if I have a company making shoes, I want to make a lot more shoes and get a lot more customers so in order to raise the capital required to build new factories, hire more employees, and get more machines I sell off some ownership shares in my company to the public....

Why would you want to list on a stock market (NY stock exchange), that is causing more issues then it solves. You have read this so wrong, but I am not going to explain it, but yes if you listed on any stock exchange beside bitcoins you are against bitcoins. Cause bitcoins grew from what wall st did so why give them business Wink
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 04:55:28 AM

It was explained to me that the size of any investment is limited by Bitcoin's market cap. In others words, at some point, the value of a company must be limited by the value of Bitcoin, so it becomes better to just buy bitcoins than to buy a company.

How is US stock market any more a staple of the "legacy economy" than going to the Kwik-E-mart and buying a candy bar with a US dollar bill. ...

Dave, you are being trolled.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
dave111223
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 04:59:42 AM

Why would you want to list on a stock market (NY stock exchange), that is causing more issues then it solves. You have read this so wrong, but I am not going to explain it, but yes if you listed on any stock exchange beside bitcoins you are against bitcoins. Cause bitcoins grew from what wall st did so why give them business Wink

"Cause bitcoins grew from what wall st did"...

Pretty sure bitcoins grew out of a P2P network protocol that Satoshi wrote; how does Bitcoin protocol have anything to do with Wall street?

"...causing more issues then it solves".

What exactly are these "issues" that the NY stock exchange are causing?

"Why would you want to list on a stock market"

So that I can raise additional capital to expand my business, without having to fund the expansion through interest baring loans.
dave111223
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 05:03:55 AM

How is US stock market any more a staple of the "legacy economy" than going to the Kwik-E-mart and buying a candy bar with a US dollar bill. ...

Dave, you are being trolled.

I don't actually think these guys are trolls, because you can see plenty of these types of people sitting in tents in various locations (such as "occupy wallstreet"; protesting the man...but actually they have no clue what they are protesting against, or what the reasons behind their protests are...IMHO these people detract from their cause rather than advance it.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: