Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:04:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: About that Wallet.dat File  (Read 653 times)
Sh@1 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 08:41:33 AM

Hello People!

Yes, i'm one of the unfortunate ones who actually lost a very few of my bitcoins. And i'm sure some of you might have too. its a very dark feeling lol.

I just happen to come across one of the posts that was posted on this site. which looks promising to a noob like me.

I just wonder if it could be true - while Multibit is not supporting anymore of its developments.

What do you guys think?

With the wallet. dat file can i do anything to recover like this?

If you still have all your files and your computer is not comprimised then will you be safe.

Listen to me this is very important:

STAY CALM

Many people loose their bitcoin in the process of recovering them.
As long as you stay clam and think very carefully about what you are doing, then are you good.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1077415.0

Thanks for your time,

Sh@1!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 08:58:03 AM

Hello People!

Yes, i'm one of the unfortunate ones who actually lost a very few of my bitcoins. And i'm sure some of you might have too. its a very dark feeling lol.

I just happen to come across one of the posts that was posted on this site. which looks promising to a noob like me.

I just wonder if it could be true - while Multibit is not supporting anymore of its developments.

What do you guys think?

With the wallet. dat file can i do anything to recover like this?

If you still have all your files and your computer is not comprimised then will you be safe.

Listen to me this is very important:

STAY CALM

Many people loose their bitcoin in the process of recovering them.
As long as you stay clam and think very carefully about what you are doing, then are you good.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1077415.0

Thanks for your time,

Sh@1!

are you saying that you have a wallet file from a multibit wallet, but cannot access it?
if that's the case, the website still hosts the older releases for both multibitHD and the classic clients here: https://multibit.org/releases.html
assuming im understanding correctly, you should be able to access your old wallet file.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
Sh@1 (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 09:28:22 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2017, 09:52:18 AM by Sh@1

Thanks for your reply sub Strata! This procedure is for the wallets that's created only via multibit? sorry again i'm not good at these.

But i'm sure i created the wallet through blockchain.

On a side note - i have the backup file (turns out its actually not useful if i lose my password*)
Anyways,

Is there a procedure like the link i shared earlier to recover my wallet? I had lost my password.

Please bear with me for the confusions Huh Cheesy

-edited*
subSTRATA
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 09:37:58 AM

Thanks for your reply sub Strata! This procedure is for the wallets that's created only via multibit? sorry again i'm not good at these.

But i'm sure i created the wallet through blockchain.

On a side note - i have the backup file (turns out its actually not useful if i lose it)
Anyways,

Is there a procedure like the link i shared earlier to recover my wallet? I had lost my password.

Please bear with me for the confusions Huh Cheesy
ok so my bad, i did understand you wrong. so the wallet was created on blockchain.info a while back, correct? i've never actually used the blockchain.info wallet, so im not sure how it would work, but i dont think the wallet file is compatible with another wallet program (someone can correct me if im wrong on this). If blockchain.info allows you to upload the backup file you should be able to access it, but if you've lost your password you wont be able to access the encrypted wallet. However, if you have the seed phrase you should be able to recreate the wallet using the seed wallet importer that they provide, although im not sure if you have that or if blockchain.info offered that information to you when you made your wallet way back.
again, im not too familiar with the blockchain.info wallet service, so if someone else is more knowledgeable please do correct anything i mightve been wrong on.

Sh@1 (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 09:34:57 AM

So i really want to know- since i dont have my password,

Can i replace the wallet.dat file that comes along with the default installation of Bitcoin core- and get the value of the wallet back?

thanks for your time!

subSTRATA
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 09:50:23 AM

So i really want to know- since i dont have my password,

Can i replace the wallet.dat file that comes along with the default installation of Bitcoin core- and get the value of the wallet back?

thanks for your time!

no. I'm not even sure if the wallet you got from blockchain is even compatible with the core client, and even if it was, it would still be encrypted.
if you do not have the password for your wallet file, you cannot access those coins.
unless of course, the wallet file was not encrypted with a password, in which case you would be able to. idk if you did it didn't encrypt the wallet file itself, wouldn't hurt to try though.

Sh@1 (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 10:25:55 AM

Hey subStrata!,

ive done it. now it shows 0 balance. and encrypt button is available.

But now its all syncing. does it have to sync everything to see my balance?

subSTRATA
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 10:39:11 AM

Hey subStrata!,

it would have to sync at least up to the block where the last transaction associated with the addresses in your wallet are contained to show an accurate balance. bitcoin core downloads the entire blockchain and keeps it up to date in order to properly keep track of transactions, history, etc. just let it sit and with any luck you might be able to access your coins in a day or two (or however long it takes for the client to sync).

Sh@1 (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 10:56:39 AM

Hey subStrata!,

it would have to sync at least up to the block where the last transaction associated with the addresses in your wallet are contained to show an accurate balance. bitcoin core downloads the entire blockchain and keeps it up to date in order to properly keep track of transactions, history, etc. just let it sit and with any luck you might be able to access your coins in a day or two (or however long it takes for the client to sync).

Hey thanks. im letting it to update. if it doesnt go throughh (im sure im not that lucky),

Ill try what u mentioned in one of the other threads - the btc recover.

Thanks again!
subSTRATA
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 10:58:20 AM

Hey subStrata!,

Hey thanks. im letting it to update. if it doesnt go throughh (im sure im not that lucky),

Ill try what u mentioned in one of the other threads - the btc recover.

Thanks again!
no problem. best of luck and let me know later on if it actually works.  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: