Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:42:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Letter to FSF (Nevermind, someone sent one already)  (Read 2305 times)
ptd (OP)

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 05, 2010, 03:05:08 PM
Last edit: December 05, 2010, 11:10:04 PM by ptd

The FSF is going to be easy to persuade to use bitcoins. Lets send them a letter (adapted from CCC one).

Suggestions and pledges are very welcome.

-------------------------------------------

Dear Free Software Foundation,

The Bitcoin community appreciates your efforts to protect computer users freedom to use their computers as they wish.

Bitcoin < http://bitcoin.org > is a new free software P2P cryptocurrency system, published under the MIT license. We hope it will allow users to use their money as they wish, free from government intervention and the need to use proprietary software systems found in banking and payment  systems.

There are already several enterprises and individuals in the Bitcoin community and growing. We have donated already donated X BTC (~X USD) to the EFF and have pledges to donate X BTC (~X USD) to you if you accept Bitcoin donations.

Warmest regards,

The Bitcoin community.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
December 05, 2010, 03:09:46 PM

...We have donated already donated X BTC (~X USD) to the EFF...

The EFF might be quite startled to see that others have access to their account balance.
ptd (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2010, 04:26:17 PM

The EFF might be quite startled to see that others have access to their account balance.

I assumed from the CCC letter (which said approximately 600 BTC), that the figure was published somewhere. We can quite easily calculate how much money had been sent to their address (using the block chain).

According to block explorer < http://blockexplorer.com/a/9QA2JnKdCH >, their donations address has received 1977.55 bitcoins (due to fluctuations in the exchange rate the USD approximation would probably be inaccurate). More complex information is very hard to obtain though.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 05, 2010, 10:26:02 PM

The FSF is going to be easy to persuade to use bitcoins. Lets send them a letter (adapted from CCC one).

Suggestions and pledges are very welcome.

This is great and all, but I sent them a letter weeks ago.  I got a response from a real person, and they are definately looking at Bitcoin.  It is, after all, an open source product.

Too many sending letters that look like advertisements is just going to annoy them.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 05, 2010, 10:27:04 PM

And we have no money.

I think the community is squeezed between the FSF possible bounty and the bitDNS bounty.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 05, 2010, 10:27:07 PM

...We have donated already donated X BTC (~X USD) to the EFF...

No one has access, but it's impossible to hide what a particular address has.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
December 05, 2010, 10:32:35 PM

No one has access, but it's impossible to hide what a particular address has.

With a small CGI script, it should be possible to create a new address for each donator, so that it would be impossible to trace donations.

I've posted something like this on an other thread...  I'll try to find it.

PS.  Here it is :  http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1796.msg22114#msg22114

ptd (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2010, 11:10:47 PM
Last edit: December 07, 2010, 09:02:42 PM by ptd

I got a response from a real person, and they are definately looking at Bitcoin.

I didn't know that.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 04:27:18 AM

I got a response from a real person, and they are definately looking at Bitcoin.

I didn't know that.

As a bookend to this thread:  SUCCESS (FSF now accepts Bitcoin)
 http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4667.msg108466#msg108466

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █