Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:17:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: At what price level do you start peeling rather than selling?  (Read 1688 times)
Hellot

Activity: 679
Merit: 526

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 06:15:49 PM

I personally think the golden age for premiums on physical bitcoins is over.

Holders will keep their ask prices steady because they don't want to write up a loss, but you're fucking bananas if you think, e.g., that anyone is going to pay 16 btc for a 10 these days. Seriously, a $24,000 premium for a privately minted round? Get outta here. The only people with that amount of coin to burn are old hodlers, and they've already finished their collecting.

At least the folks who bought 0.5s/1.0s/25s paid a smallish premium. Even the 5s weren't *too* bad, although you'd be looking at a loss of at least 1 or 2 btc selling them today. Can't imagine being stuck with a bunch of 10s.

There's two schools of thought I see around here when it comes to premiums.  Please correct me if you disagree.  We have the collectors who spend $ on BTC to support their collecting habits and we have the 1btc = 1btc crowd.  There's some crossover but these are our two main groups.

How this affects premiums is that you have what I call $ thinkers and then BTC thinkers and they think about premiums in this sense.  I am a $ thinker because a lot of what I purchased, I purchased with $ and immediately sent the BTC to the seller.  When I look at premiums today, I see the same premiums but lower BTC.  In some cases the premium is higher and others it is lower.  A good example is an MS70 .1 Casascius I purchased for 3BTC.  I think I spent less than $1k on the bitcoin to buy it.  Would I have more money now if I kept the bitcoin?  Sure, but I wouldn't have my collection and I did buy and hold bitcoin too.  I'm sure I will get more fiat value when I sell it and in the mean time I've got the shiny. Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 08:07:07 PM

Those 10s are actually closer to 12s now considering the BCC they hold...  Not to mention if forking is the new trend (already looks like we'll be forking again in ~2 months) we could see premiums rise even further.  Folks that bought 25s are most likely sitting on profits if they were to peel or resell now...

Very true, the 25s are close to 30 in FV right now between the two chains

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
dazedfool
Legendary

Activity: 1511
Merit: 1127

derp

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 12:52:30 AM

Those 10s are actually closer to 12s now considering the BCC they hold...  Not to mention if forking is the new trend (already looks like we'll be forking again in ~2 months) we could see premiums rise even further.  Folks that bought 25s are most likely sitting on profits if they were to peel or resell now...

Very true, the 25s are close to 30 in FV right now between the two chains

Those BTCC 1BTC coins that originally went for 1.1btc are profitable if peeled now, too. Singles and halves no longer available on their website
Gatorelf

Activity: 845
Merit: 267

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 03:23:47 PM

I would never peel any of them to preserve history, you can always find a buyer if $$ is needed.
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 03:12:29 PM

I would never peel any of them to preserve history, you can always find a buyer if $$ is needed.

Tell that to the guy who had to peel a 25 because he couldn't find a buyer at any price

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
coin@coin
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 09:00:06 AM

Peeling them is the last resort, but if money is needed trying to sell to another collector should be done.

If BCH makes it a little harder wait until the November fork, hope not, but then they'll hold 3 different coins.  Grin

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2017, 09:16:57 AM

The only point in peeling would be to liquidate your BTC holdings for cash.

Not necessarily. I might want to spend it. I might not want something physically accessible lying around. I may want it all installed in a hardware wallet.

I really couldn'tbe arsed with face to face sales and showing up with a sawn off in my panties. I like the sound of a legit auction house but a long wait could be in order indeed.

For an alternative to the sawed off shotgun idea....US seller, European buyer....both fly to Heathrow arriving around the same time.  Meet in the really fun Polish bar owned by the angry old Polish woman and do the exchange there.  You know the other guy isn't armed because you are still in the terminal of an airport.  Seller can fly with the coin in his pocket the entire trip.  Both get on return flights never leaving the terminal.

Not sure how it is in other countries, but US airports (and by extension, planes & passengers thereupon) have only security theater, with 95% failure rate https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/investigation-breaches-us-airports-allowed-weapons-through-n367851

Effectively anyone who wants to get a weapon in, will. Weapons are even fabricated in prisons.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 10:27:04 AM

Not sure how it is in other countries, but US airports (and by extension, planes & passengers thereupon) have only security theater, with 95% failure rate https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/investigation-breaches-us-airports-allowed-weapons-through-n367851

Effectively anyone who wants to get a weapon in, will. Weapons are even fabricated in prisons.

So potentially 95% of passengers are packing heat? I'm surprised there aren't more fire fights with shop staff at the overpriced Pepsis on sale.

Even if your buyer did produce an assault rifle from their panties, there are still enough cameras and security around to put a halt to them after they've emptied a clip into your face. It'll be too late for you, but not for your coin.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2017, 08:11:04 PM

So potentially 95% of passengers are packing heat? I'm surprised there aren't more fire fights with shop staff at the overpriced Pepsis on sale.

Even if your buyer did produce an assault rifle from their panties, there are still enough cameras and security around to put a halt to them after they've emptied a clip into your face. It'll be too late for you, but not for your coin.

Armed robberies usually end with the victim's compliance, no bloodshed. A pistol covered from CCTV but revealed to the law-abiding/defenseless victim, or even the 95% believable threat of having a pistol, will do.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: