Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:14:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Good idea to mine for different pools at the same time?  (Read 832 times)
gregr507 (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 01:16:23 AM

Say hypothetically you have a 300 Mhash/s card. You could mine for 1 pool with all 300, 2 with 150 each, 3 with 100 each, etc. I was thinking it might make sense to mine for 3 at the same time, that way if one goes down you can redistribute amongst the others automatically and not lose anything. I was thinking this might also decrease the "luck" factor, since if one pool is having an unlucky streak, it could be balanced out by another one that is doing well. Is this a good idea? Or is it somehow more efficient to just mine for one pool?
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dbuthay

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 02:30:00 AM

The luck factor isn't that important in the long run.

On bigger pools, you'll probably get more of lucky blocks. But as there's more people mining there, you'll get a small reward. Very often, but small.
On smaller pooles, you'll get less lucky blocks. But when one lucky block appears, you get a huge payout.

In the end the only thing that matters is your mhps, and the pool not going down.
Precog

Activity: 36

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 03:14:31 AM

If your at a pool with pay per share then each share is the same amount.
If your at a pool with proportional and have a low mhash like 400 or less then you can get less bitcoin per solved block than pay per share.

With slush's pool that uses something in between the two you get a better payout every block than proportional.

Pay per share is good too, but if there is a large fee or chunk taken out like 5% or more then your losing out there as well.

Overall if you split it up with low amounts you screw yourself.

More mhash per 1 pool is the best I believe
Johnny-Gear

Activity: 37

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 03:19:15 AM

My main motivation for splitting off some of my miners is that although deepbit continues to display my full GH/s speed for all 4 cards, one miner is continually sitting offline and not gaining any PPS.

Waiting to get out of this newbies forum so I can actually get in contact with Tycho and ask why this happens.

I have split that particular miner off to slush for the mean time.

JG
zductiv

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 04:10:49 AM

Yeh I think using a backup miner is a good idea especially with how often the pools have been getting DDOS'd. I use slush as a primary and deepbit as backup.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: