Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:41:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can re-flash a bios on a AMD card so it that it does did not patcher any longer?  (Read 258 times)
Justwondering (OP)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 03:46:42 PM

Hi , Basically , I bought 2 cards from a guy , he never mentioned the bios had already been modded , which is kind of okay but not okay....

Ideally I would of liked to of had a copy of the original bios which the seller no longer has.

My big question is , I have found the original bios online with the correct memory 4GB Hynix , correct brand and model etc...

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=AMD&manufacturer=Gigabyte&model=RX+480&interface=&memType=GDDR5&memSize=4096&since=

So if I flashed the bios from the link above , would the card then be suitable for using with all the latest AMD drivers without the need to patch the driver each time ?

Main reason I ask , is that I like the option of reselling the card at a later date perhaps on eBay , but I do not want to have to explain about using a patcher program etc to the future buyer , sounds bad to a novice and would bring the price down.

Help and Advice please....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 03:49:01 PM

Hi , Basically , I bought 2 cards from a guy , he never mentioned the bios had already been modded , which is kind of okay but not okay....

Ideally I would of liked to of had a copy of the original bios which the seller no longer has.

My big question is , I have found the original bios online with the correct memory 4GB Hynix , correct brand and model etc...

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=AMD&manufacturer=Gigabyte&model=RX+480&interface=&memType=GDDR5&memSize=4096&since=

So if I flashed the bios from the link above , would the card then be suitable for using with all the latest AMD drivers without the need to patch the driver each time ?

Main reason I ask , is that I like the option of reselling the card at a later date perhaps on eBay , but I do not want to have to explain about using a patcher program etc to the future buyer , sounds bad to a novice and would bring the price down.

Why not try it? Flash it and run the latest drivers unpatched.
Theoretically it should work. As long as it's the original retail signed BIOS image, there will be no problems
Justwondering (OP)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 03:56:09 PM

Why not try it? Flash it and run the latest drivers unpatched.
Theoretically it should work. As long as it's the original retail signed BIOS image, there will be no problems

Hi Thank you for your reply , I am a bit worried as I can still send the cards back if I like as I bought them on eBay , I would not want to mess the cards up etc , I have flashed and modded my own cards in the past without a issue.

would you say the drivers from Techpowerup are generally the official signed bios image ?

Are the serial numbers of the card part of the bios ? as I guess that would not match up with the download from techpower, would that cause a Issue with the signature ?

Subject to trying , I presume I would simply do the following....

download the techpower bios.

Make a copy of the card bios that is currently on the card as a back up.

flash the bios with polaris .

Uninstall the drivers using driver uninstaller , reboot , reinstall latest drivers Huh

But do I need to do anything for the bios to be considered as Signed , any extra steps ?
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 08:32:10 PM

That should work fine.

AFAIK no BIOS includes a card serial number - that would be a NIGHTMARE for a manufacturer to implament.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: