Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:59:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HALPZ! 5870+5830 Installed. Now what do I do???  (Read 1427 times)
Mousepotato (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 02:22:46 AM

Hey guys!  I just got my 5830 in today and threw it into my rig and let Win7 autodetect and apply the correct drivers to it (I'm guessing).  Previously I was running a single 5870 @ 440MH/s+.  So now what do I do to get my 5830 online and mining?  Do I have to connect them via Crossfire?  Do I just set up a separate instance of Phoenix miner for the 5830?  I guess I shoulda done more research, but once you open that box from UPS, all logic goes out the window and gets replaced with Christmas-like excitement of opening new lewtz! Smiley

Mousepotato

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ElectroGeek007

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 02:30:39 AM

I would recommend completely uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers/Catalyst/SDK, which may be required anyway for it to work for mining. Crossfire is not necessary. And yes, set up a separate instance for each card. Smiley

"And what the enemy will see, they will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!"
Mousepotato (OP)

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 02:36:43 AM

Thanks!  Ok so what about "dummy plugs"?  I've noticed mention of them in passing, but I never really paid much attention since I only had a single card.  Do I need to run dummy plugs?

And how do I specify which GPU has "focus" in MSI Afterburner?  argh

Mousepotato
ElectroGeek007

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 02:53:54 AM

Mining in Windows requires that a monitor or dummy plug is plugged into each video card before it will be seen by a mining program. After you have started mining, you can unplug it, but it will need to be there every time you start mining. If you only have one monitor, you can plug it into one card, then the other. To select which card to modify, click the "Settings" button and select the desired GPU from the drop-down list.

"And what the enemy will see, they will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!"
Mousepotato (OP)

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 03:04:25 AM

Mining in Windows requires that a monitor or dummy plug is plugged into each video card before it will be seen by a mining program. After you have started mining, you can unplug it, but it will need to be there every time you start mining. If you only have one monitor, you can plug it into one card, then the other. To select which card to modify, click the "Settings" button and select the desired GPU from the drop-down list.
TY! I will give that a go.

Mousepotato
Mousepotato (OP)

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 04:24:26 AM

Ok I think I've got things up and working now.  I just have to fine tune my 5830 overclock since it's running stock right now.  What do yall recommend for aggression setting (I'm using Phoenix miner) across each card?  When I set aggression to 14, the entire system crawls to a halt other than each miner.  I can barely move the mouse!

Mousepotato
ElectroGeek007

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 04:46:03 AM

I have mine set to 11 right now, when I had it set at 12 the computer would lock up occasionally.

Mousepotato (OP)

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 06:08:31 AM

Thanks guys!  I don't know what I'd do w/o this forum Smiley

Mousepotato
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: