Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:33:42 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which country would be the first to eliminate fiat and convert to crypto fully?  (Read 3692 times)
BartS

Activity: 980
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 03:38:14 PM

The best bet to see a country to eliminate fiat and convert to crypto would be a small country. Because in their economy it could the most eay country that can implement it better than other. Remember, to install the euro, we needed about 10 years
This is something that I agree, we cannot expect that bitcoin is accepted in a country with millions of people, we need a test subject in order to see if bitcoin is going to work on a large scale, and a country with a small population seems like the best bet, so in my opinion a small country like isolated in an island will be the perfect place, however before that happens I think the issues with the fees needs to be resolved or no country is ever going to adopt bitcoin.
cluit
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 11:09:36 AM

Apart from the small micronations such as Talossa and Liberland, I don't think that any of the established nations will declare Bitcoin as their national currency. Because it can lead to many complications. And the high volatility of Bitcoin is another problem.
I agree to that. There is no reason for a decent country to declare bitcoin as their main currency and eliminate the fiat because if they are going to go for bitcoin in full force then they will have a hard time in managing the money that they will have in bitcoin because it will not become easy for them to manage money since the price is not stable and it can drop or increase anytime.
That’s true up to some extent. I don’t think so managing bitcoins will be an issue but bitcoins are limited in number and there are not properties of any single person or a state. So it does not add up if some country really makes them her national currency. National currency criteria are really different.
BartS

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 08:17:24 PM

Probably no country will ever abandon the fiat system in exchange of cryptocurrency. And it is beneficial for both currency to co-exists, so I see no reason this will happen. There are advantages of using crypto, and there are advantages of using fiat as well. Let us leave it that way.
You never know, we may not be ready yet, but if at some point bitcoin becomes as fast as fiat then I do not see a reason why that could not happen, governments of the world mismanage their economies all the time, so if a country enters in a very serious economic crisis I will not be surprised if their citizens opted to adopt bitcoin instead of rely once again on their government.
pitiflin

Merit: 507

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 08:37:15 AM

Which country would be the first to eliminate fiat and convert to crypto fully?  My guess is China...
China may not eliminate fiat but there is a possibility of China legalising bitcoin in the near future or maybe they are just trying to give preference to their own cryptos ,and trying to eliminate the scammers involved in the society as well. I dont see any other country making any move against crypto currency ,so its hard to say which country would even think about eliminating fiat because I dont see a reason why any country would eliminate their own currency.

█
      ██
     ██
   ██ ██
 █ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██

█
      ██
     ██
   ██ ██
 █ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
  B

▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄▄████████████▄▄
   ▄█████▀▀    ▀▀█████▄
  ████▀            ▀████
 ████                ████
▐███                  ███▌
███▌                  ▐███
▐███           ▄▄     ███▌
 ████         ▀███▄  ▐███
  ████▄         ▀███▄███
   ▀█████▄▄     ▄█████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀▀▀
T 
.Better. Quick..

.Transparent....

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
███████████████▀       ████
██████████████      ▄▄▄████
██████████████    ▐████████
██████████            ▐████
██████████            █████
▀█████████████    ▐███████▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌
henmark

Activity: 783
Merit: 270

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 11:12:38 AM

Apart from the small micronations such as Talossa and Liberland, I don't think that any of the established nations will declare Bitcoin as their national currency. Because it can lead to many complications. And the high volatility of Bitcoin is another problem.
I agree to that. There is no reason for a decent country to declare bitcoin as their main currency and eliminate the fiat because if they are going to go for bitcoin in full force then they will have a hard time in managing the money that they will have in bitcoin because it will not become easy for them to manage money since the price is not stable and it can drop or increase anytime.
That’s true up to some extent. I don’t think so managing bitcoins will be an issue but bitcoins are limited in number and there are not properties of any single person or a state. So it does not add up if some country really makes them her national currency. National currency criteria are really different.
Agreed! Bitcoins are there for everyone, anyone who is willing to work hard to change his future in a better way can work with bitcoins. There is no doubt in this fact that bitcoins are not countless and they are not owned by one single person or a state. No state can do this at all because bitcoins are for international use.
BartS

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 05:13:27 PM

At this moment that will be a bad idea, bitcoin is great but there are still many things that need to be resolved before a country is going to adopt bitcoin as their national currency, the two most important are will the lighting network be activated anytime soon? And the second is if there is going to be another fork in November? There may be more but those two are the most important issues.
xaxistech

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 05:17:35 PM

The first one in remove fiat currencies is probably going to be Japan, it is only going to be possible if their governemnt doesn't regalute cryptos like china did. But i dont think it would be a nice idea to replace fiat currency and paper money, i wouldn't like that, and a good part of the population would not like it too, just because maybe some of them will not be confortable with digital money..

▄▄███▄▄
     ▄▄███████████▄▄
 ▄▄███████████████████▄▄
██████████████████████████
  ▀▀██████████████████▀▀ ▄▄
      ▀▀██████████▀▀ ▄▄████
          ▀▀█▀▀ ▄▄█████████
             ▄█████████████
             ██████████████
             ██████████████
             ██████████████
             ██████████████
             █████████████▀
             █████████▀▀
             █████▀▀
             ▀▀▀
Brickblock.io
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║

▄▄██▄
              ▄▄█▀▀  ██
          ▄▄█▀▀      █▌
      ▄▄█▀▀   ▄▀    ██
 ▄▄▄█▀▀    ▄█▀     ▐█
██      ▄██▀       █▌
 ▀▀██▄███▀        ██
     ██▀▀█▄▄▄     █▌
      █▄  ██▀▀▀█▄██
       █▄█▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▄████████
    █████▀▀▀▀
   ▐████
   ▐████
████████████
████████████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄                  ▄▄▄
█████▄             ▄██████▄
█████████▄        ████████████▄
██████████▌▄     ██████████████
██████████▌▐█  ▄█████████████▀▄█
██████████▌▐██▄▀████████████ ███
██████████▌▐████▀██████████ ████
██████████▌▐█████ ███████▀▄█████
██████████▌ ▀█████▄▀████ ███████
██████████▌   ▀▀████ ██▄████████
▀█████████▌      ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████████
   ▀▀█████▌             ▀▀██████
        ▀█▌                  ▀▀█
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║
pisston

Activity: 630

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 05:18:04 PM

Which country would be the first to eliminate fiat and convert to crypto fully?  My guess is China...
China may not eliminate fiat but there is a possibility of China legalising bitcoin in the near future or maybe they are just trying to give preference to their own cryptos ,and trying to eliminate the scammers involved in the society as well. I dont see any other country making any move against crypto currency ,so its hard to say which country would even think about eliminating fiat because I dont see a reason why any country would eliminate their own currency.
It seems to me that in reality every country that will have the desire to work with the crypto currency will itself try to create its national national crypto currency. But in order to be confident in the future, Balance feat and crypto-currencies will still be preserved, that is, preserving both.
dunfida
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 1139

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 05:32:20 PM

No dumb country would do such thing and I'm really sure of that.Its impossible to replace local fiat itself by crypto knowing  that local fiat signifies or symbolizes a country regarding on its economy and its power.Theres no place for crypto to replace such thing and also government wont really allow that and thinking off that crypto isn't legally regulated on most countries it would really be hard to trade on.

taktik

Activity: 504
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 05:34:14 PM

No dumb country would do such thing and I'm really sure of that.Its impossible to replace local fiat itself by crypto knowing  that local fiat signifies or symbolizes a country regarding on its economy and its power.Theres no place for crypto to replace such thing and also government wont really allow that and thinking off that crypto isn't legally regulated on most countries it would really be hard to trade on.
Whether there will be trade of a crypto currency will gain mass character, then I think that financial institutions and all the more the government will do everything to tax every merchant. It's a matter of time and I think that this will soon take up. And of course if the crypto currency is legalized at full rate.
BartS

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 10:14:20 PM
Last edit: September 28, 2017, 07:59:14 PM by BartS

Which country would be the first to eliminate fiat and convert to crypto fully?  My guess is China...
China seems to be going on the opposite direction, with the banning of icos and their closer look to exchanges, it seems they are preparing the field for an outright ban on bitcoin and any cryptocurrency, I’m sorry for the Chinese citizens since any country that closes its doors to new technologies are left behind and they do not receive the benefits of it, that happened to china once and it seems that is going to happen again.
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 3010
Merit: 600

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 11:00:31 PM

Yeah there will be no country that will be totally shift to crypto and will make their country as a country focused country. Not all the citizens for each country are techie or good in adoption of technology. There are people that will be subject to this upgrade because they doesn't like any digital money and fiat will be forgotten for real. It's also a very risky thing for that country if they'll shift to fully focused in crypto.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 11:04:26 PM

The first country to eliminate fiat and convert to crypto fully would be one which has a failed economic system such as Venezuela, where people are looking for and need help desperately, Bitcoin and crypto could be what they need. Just imagine if they turn to crypto and in a few decades everyone there became rich? It is definitely possible!

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
WoodySpoon

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 11:18:55 PM

The first country to eliminate fiat and convert to crypto fully would be one which has a failed economic system such as Venezuela, where people are looking for and need help desperately, Bitcoin and crypto could be what they need. Just imagine if they turn to crypto and in a few decades everyone there became rich? It is definitely possible!

Alright, so you expect a country with a failing economic conditions to fully adopt a cryptocurrency, let me breakdown how ludicrous that would be for you.

Firstly, countries with failing economic conditions are in these positions for reasons which are NOT caused by FIAT currency. Reasons for these deteriorating economic conditions are mostly corruption, poor trade balances, lack of education and infrastructure and poor policy implementation.

To implement a crypto based economy, and abolish a FIAT currency, you would need to do the following. COVER all national debt, reinvest all national savings, whilst maintaining the dollar value so the working class is not impacted. Restructure all stabilization policy so hyper-inflation/hyper-deflation does not occur, restructure all taxes so the government can operate, find a way to tax transactions, find a way to implement a currency that can transact in seconds not hours.

The above is a VERY SMALL portion of the steps that would be needed. In reality, billions of dollars and years of work would be required, all of which a failing economy does not have.

At the same time, the idea that FIAT currency is going to be left behind is anything but logical. THERE IS NO BENEFIT, HOLDING A COIN DOES NOT MAKE YOU RICH. If everyone in whatever poor country you think is going to adopt this coin purchased Bitcoin two weeks prior, and the news of China came out, you've just essentially ruined the livelihoods of every paycheck to paycheck family in that time as they've lost almost every bit of savings they had as the value dropped.

Prices of goods lag behind that of the currency, don't try and argue prices value will drop at the speed of the coin.

I love Bitcoin Talk but these daily threads and the drones supporting them really trash this economics section of the forums. 
BartS

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 08:01:40 PM

The problem with Venezuela is that it has a big number of people I think for bitcoin to be adopted by a nation the nation needs to be small a few hundred thousand people at most, and that has high standards of living, because bitcoin is not going to be as easy to understand to someone that has never had access to technology, however such a country probably does not need to adopt bitcoin in the first place.
Kawasanz

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 08:10:49 PM

I expect Russia because the people there use cryptocurrency more than paper currency
xFiber

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 08:14:05 PM

You could also ask us the following question: "which government would be the first to give up their control?". I don't really expect any government to do that because if they do they can't collect taxes and they are totally placed out of the economy. But if I would have to name a country it would probably be one with hyperinflation right now.
betMaster

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 05:17:03 PM

If Zimbabwe can find a way to provide mobile internet services to everyone in the country and be able to educate them, I think they would stop using cash and move over to Bitcoin. They have faced a lot of challenges with their economy and they are accustomed to using other currencies to replace their local reserve currency.

The next country might be Kenya, because they are already used to digital money in the form of M-Pesa. ^smile^

It will definitely not be China, because they need 100% control over their citizens and Bitcoin does not provide that to them.
I totally agree with you , Even though roughly 40 percent of citizens have access to traditional banking services, the future of these digital currencies is most bright in what we call “3rd world countries” such as Kenya and Zimbabwe .
Developing countries suffer from the poor banking infrastructures and arduous accessibility of its services, someone familiar with internet usage and who know about Bitcoin will certainly prefer it over any traditional banking system. Furthermore 3rd world  countries are enduring rampant inflation and therefore it makes people want to use other currencies and try to convert it to their local ones , or even completely replace them .
palle11

Activity: 2338
Merit: 332

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 05:36:32 PM

I think this will be a difficult task to do. Check it, looking at the differences in both currencies - bitcoin has so many process before you can have access to it or acquire which is anchored on internet and technology, computers,literacy etc but fiat is just to labour and you are paid. So, I think they could just operate side by side. Optional
fiulpro

Activity: 1862
Merit: 830

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 05:45:55 PM

Eliminating fiat as a whole is not possible,
Thus no country will come forward to do this.
As fas as considering the acceptance of bitcoins and identifying them legally is considered I think Japan will nake the first move.
Besides it has already started that now at many shops bitcoins are being accepted as payment thus...its not possible to fully eliminate fiat but partial acceptance is legit.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██
█████████▀██▀████████
████████▀
░░░░▀░░██████████
███████████▌░░▄▄▄░░░▀████████
███████
█████░░░███▌░░░█████████
███
████████░░░░░░░░░░▄█████████
█████████▀░░░▄████░░░░█████████
███
████▄▄░░░░▀▀▀░░░░▄████████
█████
███▌▄█░░▄▄▄▄█████████
▀████
██████▄██
██████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀
.BitcoinCleanUp.com.

.     Debunking Bitcoin's Energy Use     .
███████████████████████████████
███████▀█████████▀▀▀▀█▀████████
███████▌░▀▀████▀░░░░░░░▄███████
███████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████
███████▀▀▀░░░░░░░▄▄████████████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████