Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 04:43:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to bitcoins  (Read 772 times)
santostfm (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 10:59:22 AM

Hi guys,
Im a straightup newbie to bit coins and I am looking to purchase some coins. Does anyone know the best place to buy coins?

Thanks in advance
debian23

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 11:14:54 AM

Depends on your location!
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Buying_bitcoins seems like a good page to start with.
netCoins

Activity: 11

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 11:38:36 AM

Don't spend more than your willing to loose.
santostfm (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:08:48 PM

I am in Australia. I guess I have alot of reading to do.

Thanks for the quick reply guys
TimeChild

Activity: 17

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:38:41 PM

https://localbitcoins.com/
HD7970Cuda

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 02:35:10 PM

http://copperlark.com/   Huh??

BitcoinNew: 15s1WVvieoeCEmQh2ee9Q8HV9YHyyC9QGY
gambit1

Activity: 980
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 02:55:40 PM

If you are buying bitcoins as an investment then it should be considered extremely high risk. Even the head of Mt Gox, the biggest exchange, said that. The returns are potentially as high but you should be aware of the risk.
santostfm (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 03:16:47 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Im not planing on investing. I just want to buy a little for fun. Nothing I cant handle loosing.

Mining sounds like a good option. I am a little worried about the electricity costs though as we have really expensive electricity here in oz.

I have checked out a few sites in the wiki. Mainly spendbitcoins.com, bitinovate, omnicoins and localbitcoins. Localbitcoins and omni coins seem to be mainly selling above the exchange rate or they want to meet up to sell them which I dont really have time for. The other two require me to go down to a bank and deposit money. As its the weekend I cant currently do that.

I did find another site through google called buy bitcoin australia which will let me purchase the bit coins online (without going to a bank) and they have the cheapest rate (7.5%).

It seems legit as they have a ABN but it is not in the wiki. Has anyone used this site? Is it safe?

bryan567

Activity: 29

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 04:04:44 PM

Localbitcoins.com sucks right now. It's a good idea but good trades just arent happening right now. I live in los angeles and you would think because of the size of the city there would be a good amount of action happening but there just isnt. At most there are about 5 or 6 ads for sale and buy and of the ones with decent prices no one is responding. I put an ad up to sell bitcoins at a decent price and no one has contacted me yet.
BitcoinBoss

Activity: 404
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 04:28:47 PM

Welcome to the forum. Buying totally depends on location but there are lots of exchanges and also p2p opportunities. If you want to get started without investing anything then maybe just go on a few faucets to get a few free satoshi. I recommend BitVisitor, BitCrate and DailyBitcoins. Smiley

FREE BITCOIN ! ---> FreeBitco.in (Faucet + Multiplier) <--- FREE BITCOIN !
santostfm (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 04:37:49 PM

I ended up buying from http://buybitcoinaustralia.com/. I am now the proud owner of 0.14838855 Bitcoins!
It took about 2 mins to buy the coins and they appeared in my wallet the second the transaction was done. I have no idea why it is not in the wikki but its a great site.
LuxeChains

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 04:44:09 PM

Localbitcoins.com sucks right now. It's a good idea but good trades just arent happening right now. I live in los angeles and you would think because of the size of the city there would be a good amount of action happening but there just isnt. At most there are about 5 or 6 ads for sale and buy and of the ones with decent prices no one is responding. I put an ad up to sell bitcoins at a decent price and no one has contacted me yet.

I live in LA. How many bitcoins do you have to sell? What's your asking price? I'm waiting for the price to come back down to the $100-110 area before I buy.
Stephan21

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 04:50:11 PM

Hey santostfm, I just lost a heap of money (well for me anyway) on SatoshiDice... and I thought I was going to have to wait until Monday to get more coins, but I tried that site you suggested (buybitcoinaustralia) and it is boss!!!

Allowed me to get more coins instantly, I just tried their minimum purchase first, to make sure it was legit, and when that rocked up, I smashed through my full order.

From cruising around on these forums, I have found that web-site based scams get revealed very quickly by people on this forum, I did a search to see if there were any bad reports on that website before I even put the first transaction through.

I am seriously pumped about this website, I am going to always use it to buy my BTC.  Bank hours are so crap if you work full-time, so all those other sites where you have to bank deposit... you gotta loose your lunch break to do it.

Thanks heaps for finding this one!
santostfm (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 04:55:49 PM

No problem. A newbie helping a newbie. I had no idea I had so much knowledge about bit coins Smiley
Stephan21

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 05:08:11 PM

I just told two of my friends who are massive into bitcoins and they are loosing their minds over how awesome that site is.
Madazam

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 08:21:13 PM

welcome ....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: