Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:36:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DTMF.io - anonymous mobile and local phone numbers in your browser  (Read 320 times)
dtmf (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2017, 10:33:51 AM

DTMF.io is the best way to get anonymous mobile and local phone numbers in your browser.

• Instant activation of numbers (after payment confirmation)
  • No personal details required
  • Payment by Bitcoin or via ShapeShift integration
  • Rent a number for any length of time from one minute to "forever"
  • Mobile & local numbers from more than 30 countries
  • Almost all countries support SMS, and a few support voice as well (WebRTC in your browser or forwarded to your own number)
  • The ability to request a "pristine" (never before used) number, for an additional fee
  • An API for automated number management and sending/receiving SMS
  • Tor hidden service (iq4exwd2bn3akjgn.onion)
  • Support via IRC (#dtmf on Freenode)

NOTE: While we cannot guarantee that our numbers can be used as a means of verification for services that use phone numbers for this purpose, many of our customers report success in using them this way, especially with numbers from smaller/lesser-known countries.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
illusioNiZt

Activity: 756
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2017, 05:25:29 PM

So after the setup cost lets say I use the  Australia  number/113satoshi a min I will have to pay even while I am not using it? after my renting time is over do I have to pay the setup costs again if I want to use Australian number again? is it possible that I get the same number? or I will be provided with unique number every time? looks good might use in the future.

Swagtoshi

Activity: 261
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 10:14:43 PM

Are these numbers VOIP numbers? There is any possible way for the customer to choose the number or is the number assigned automatically?
warningsigns

Activity: 896
Merit: 1082

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 12:37:37 AM

Looks and sounds like an attractive product. A portable online number for everything from calling to messaging, one of the advantages being no more roaming fees. Payment by bitcoin makes it even more attractive and truly anonymous.

I wouldn't use this number however for 2FA of emails and wallets. 

sweetdesirez

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 12:39:25 AM

Few clarifications I would ask for:
1. Will users be able to chose their numbers or it will be allotted randomly?
2. Will it be able to recall the same number after certain period of time?
3. Will one number be assigned to one person at any point of time or shall they be shared amongst multiple members?
warningsigns

Activity: 896
Merit: 1082

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 01:59:35 AM

3. Will one number be assigned to one person at any point of time or shall they be shared amongst multiple members?

Yes, valid questions. You have to be extremely careful if the virtual numbers are co-allocated or co-assigned to other people. It's like sharing your house with strangers.

You also have to carefully consider how you use the number as there is obviously a chance that the number might be allocated to another person at some point in time in the future if, for example, you no longer subscribe to this service. Conversely, the number might have been assigned to another person in the past. As I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't use this number as a 2FA credential for sensitive accounts such as email and wallets.

Let's wait for their response to your questions.

dtmf (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2018, 11:11:35 AM

Apologies that it took so long to reply to this topic; I did not notice your reply until now.

At present the number is allotted randomly. We are considering some limited form of choice in the future, for example giving you a choice from a list of numbers that we have available to us that have a prefix/substring/suffix chosen by you.

If you mean whether you can get a number that you previously had again at a later date; this is just a special case of question 1 above. If we implement the ability to choose the number you rent (within the constraints mentioned above) then it will be possible to choose a number you previously rented as long as it's still available.

At any given time, a number is only assigned to one person. However, if you end your rental of the number it can be assigned to someone else. I would not recommend using these numbers for 2FA or other security purposes unless you are confident that you can keep your account funded sufficiently that the rental will not be terminated. It's worth noting of course that this is the same as a real mobile phone. If you don't top your pre-paid phone up for a period of time, or you cancel your post-paid account, the number will eventually be given to someone else.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: