Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:38:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: segwit2x  (Read 807 times)
Cryptoticker (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2017, 01:55:29 PM

What or who is segwit2x und what's the thing with this? Can somebody explain me this? Huh
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 02:00:56 PM

SegWit2x is not a who, it is a what.
and what it is, is a proposal for scaling bitcoin. it proposes that after activating Segregated Witness we also increase the block size to 2 MB instead of the current 1 MB block size.

it is also known as NYA (New York Agreement) which was an agreement between miners (about 80% of them) and some businesses. and so far it has enabled the SegWit part through BIP91 and is scheduled to do the 2 MB hard fork within 3 months.

here is the link to the source code: https://github.com/btc1/bitcoin
here is the link showing the miners' support for it: https://blockchain.info/charts/nya-support
here are 2 good links explaining it:
https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/54728/how-is-segwit2x-different-from-segwit
https://www.coindesk.com/explainer-what-is-segwit2x-and-what-does-it-mean-for-bitcoin/

Only Bitcoin
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 02:22:35 PM

and what it is, is a proposal for scaling bitcoin. it proposes that after activating Segregated Witness we also increase the block size to 2 MB instead of the current 1 MB block size.

it is also known as NYA (New York Agreement) which was an agreement between miners (about 80% of them) and some businesses. and so far it has enabled the SegWit part through BIP91 and is scheduled to do the 2 MB hard fork within 3 months.

here is the link showing the miners' support for it: https://blockchain.info/charts/nya-support
https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/54728/how-is-segwit2x-different-from-segwit
https://www.coindesk.com/explainer-what-is-segwit2x-and-what-does-it-mean-for-bitcoin/
I'd like to add that it enacts the original SegWit proposal (BIP 141) by orphaning non-SegWit blocks, and this: https://medium.com/@DCGco/bitcoin-scaling-agreement-at-consensus-2017-133521fe9a77 which is the original 'announcement' article.

Core developers oppose it.
Thatstinks

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 02:26:39 PM

In a nut shell something that will no longer happen, unless we want a third BTC and BCC/BCH situation.

Simple real estate principal applies I believe.

One shopping mall gets all the business, two malls may share, three cause them all to go broke.

Bitcoin is a different situation as I realize 2 forks wouldn't cause bitcoin to bust BUT it will steal time, money and thought in the long run.

x2 will be "blocked"
YesLOST

Activity: 56

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 02:35:57 AM

So what happens now, 93% miners signaling segwit2x. Will it be the new bitcoin and core will be gone?
acyclic

Activity: 17

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 06:37:45 PM

So what happens now, 93% miners signaling segwit2x. Will it be the new bitcoin and core will be gone?

The answer I often read is that assuming the MAHF is actually successfully accomplished then core will(?) switch to a new Proof of Work algorithm that will allow more small miners which will increase the difficulty of miner hard forks in the future.

The question is if the current MAHF happens, and the exchanges stay with the majority hash power, what will attract regular people to the legacy Bitcoin chain.

I guess if all this actually came to pass and the legacy POW hard fork happened there would be an effort to get legacy Bitcoin back on Gemini and Coinbase and Bitpay as a different coin.

Then the question becomes under what symbol would these exchanges present (ouch) since they have already reportedly committed to having the BTC symbol follow the existing majority hash power which would (in this scenario) be Segwit2x

Sounds faintly familiar to Ethereum Classic and Ethereum if the miners and exchanges stay with their public pronouncements.

Admittedly, I'm brand new here so maybe some expert hands can fill in better answers on this scenario end case.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 06:54:10 PM

This is the big question. Miners are replaceable. Replacing Core would be nearly impossible. I think more people who signed it will flake out as the time comes until it's clear that the creation of yet another Bitcoin will be inevitable. That definitely wasn't their plan so it's likely the idea will die off.
acyclic

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 08:51:36 PM

This is the big question. Miners are replaceable. Replacing Core would be nearly impossible. I think more people who signed it will flake out as the time comes until it's clear that the creation of yet another Bitcoin will be inevitable. That definitely wasn't their plan so it's likely the idea will die off.

Is your thinking that the miners will change their position based on their concern about losing the core developers? The miners seem like pretty independent and strong business personalities to me but maybe they have a more long term affinity for well laid crypto theory than I thought.

And suggesting POW change to them reminds me of how well our negotiations with N Korea are currently going.

If the miners stay together the exchanges are probably likely to stay because they need volume stability for their trades. (I would imagine).
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 08:57:24 PM

Is your thinking that the miners will change their position based on their concern about losing the core developers? The miners seem like pretty independent and strong business personalities to me but maybe they have a more long term affinity for well laid crypto theory than I thought.

And suggesting POW change to them reminds me of how well our negotiations with N Korea are currently going.

If the miners stay together the exchanges are probably likely to stay because they need volume stability for their trades. (I would imagine).

Apart from the politicised miners like Jihan Wu, the rest of the Chinese miners are a bunch of thick whores who'll mine anything if it makes more money. I doubt most of them could identify a Core developer if one of them sat on their face.

The only thing miners respect is money. The money is now outside of China. If the money is sensible it's not going to put up with a chain split.
acyclic

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 09:11:54 PM

Apart from the politicised miners like Jihan Wu, the rest of the Chinese miners are a bunch of thick whores who'll mine anything if it makes more money. I doubt most of them could identify a Core developer if one of them sat on their face.

The only thing miners respect is money. The money is now outside of China. If the money is sensible it's not going to put up with a chain split.

I think "thick whores" will do as a suitable synonym for "independent strong minded business men" Smiley
And as such they won't care about losing the core developers.  They will care about losing the exchanges but the exchanges are publicly pronouncing they will follow the hash majority - some even in SEC filings.

So I haven't figured out who the well-moneyed white knight exchange that matters is, that is going to tell them they are not necessarily following the hash majority.

Or is their another form of "money" other than exchanges that the miners will be influenced by?
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2017, 09:13:07 PM

I'd like to add that it enacts the original SegWit proposal (BIP 141) by orphaning non-SegWit blocks, and this: https://medium.com/@DCGco/bitcoin-scaling-agreement-at-consensus-2017-133521fe9a77 which is the original 'announcement' article.

Core developers oppose it.

This is one of its features.
 Grin

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 09:19:50 PM
Last edit: September 25, 2017, 09:32:51 PM by gentlemand

Or is their another form of "money" other than exchanges that the miners will be influenced by?

Users and buyers?

As a group they can't be consulted or cajoled or second guessed. They also have the power to completely destroy everything. They should not be fucked with yet all these willies are being waved in their faces with the expectation that they'll do what they're told.

I would not use or buy a Bitcoin that wasn't overseen by competent developers. Core are passive aggressive penises but they're also the best in the business.

I wouldn't mind at all if another group came along that proved they had what it takes. Nothing's come close so far.

All of this posturing is completely ignoring the incomparably huger element, us lot, that actually gave the entire thing a penny of value. I haven't got a clue how many people feel similarly, but 2X is a needless risk and no one's going to have much confidence in something that reckless.
acyclic

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 09:40:05 PM

Users and buyers?

As a group they can't be consulted or cajoled or second guessed. They also have the power to completely destroy everything. They should not be fucked with yet it's happening gaily.

I would not use or buy a Bitcoin that wasn't overseen by competent developers. Core are passive aggressive penises but they're also the best in the business.

I wouldn't mind at all if another group came along that proved they had what it takes. Nothing's come close so far.

All of this posturing is completely ignoring the one group that actually gave the entire thing a penny of value. I haven't got a clue how many people feel similarly, but 2X is a needless risk and no one's going to have much confidence in something that reckless.

Buyers sure like to buy coins from exchanges I think. I understand localbitcoin and other peer to peer but I thought exchanges were pretty key.
Users sure like to buy stuff from companies that use outsource mechanisms like Bitpay that are indicating (against pushback) that they will follow the majority hash chain.

I understand that you may stop using Bitcoin after the Segwit2xpocolus. But if it the Miners don't bail, that tons of normal users and buyers will still use the exchanges and the merchants with Bitpay and the like. Most of them won't even notice.

I doubt any other group is going to show up on short notice and prove sufficiently meritorious to you  Smiley

Fully agree with the amazing work that Core has done - much of it mindnumbingly beautiful.  But am also trying to suss out a realistic future.
Also would much personally prefer a solution where core, the exchanges, and the miners could agree on scaling but I don't always get my wishes.

Finally -> Users and Buyers power to destroy everything is a very interesting observation.  I have heard it alleged but I think that if the miners have solid peer to peer networking in place and the exchanges also peer directly with miners in this network that it would be hard to disrupt but alas there may be an angle that I am missing.

gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 09:47:09 PM

there may be an angle that I am missing.

People who own Bitcoin bailing.

Exchanges have nothing to exchange and miners have nothing to mine if everyone's buggered off.

That won't happen en masse of course, and even if it did it wouldn't be all at once, but it seems mind boggling to me how blind all these players are.

They do not operate in a vacuum. They became these hideous succubi off the backs of thousands of little guys and gals who dragged Bitcoin out of nothingness with their passion and enthusiasm.
acyclic

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 10:08:01 PM

Exchanges have nothing to exchange and miners have nothing to mine if everyone's buggered off.

That won't happen en masse of course, and even if it did it wouldn't be all at once, but it seems mind boggling to me how blind all these players are.

They do not operate in a vacuum. They became these hideous succubi off the backs of thousands of little guys and gals who dragged Bitcoin out of nothingness with their passion and enthusiasm.

People who own Bitcoin bailing - indeed, but partially or more counterbalanced by new people that are finally cluing into wonderment of cryptocurrency and don't want to invest their money into coins controlled by a 23 year old with a parade of big banks behind him.  

And I have an inkling that if MAHF happens and things stabilize, that additional developers will want to be a part of such an amazing currency, even if some of the best in the world pass.

Of course Core could hard fork a POW change and get an alt coin registered with Coinbase, Gemini, Bitpay etc. possibly.  It might take a little while and I don't know if they really have the heart for a move like that or if it is just a passing thought.

hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2017, 05:59:12 AM

People who own Bitcoin bailing - indeed, but partially or more counterbalanced by new people that are finally cluing into wonderment of cryptocurrency and don't want to invest their money into coins controlled by a 23 year old with a parade of big banks behind him.  

And I have an inkling that if MAHF happens and things stabilize, that additional developers will want to be a part of such an amazing currency, even if some of the best in the world pass.

Of course Core could hard fork a POW change and get an alt coin registered with Coinbase, Gemini, Bitpay etc. possibly.  It might take a little while and I don't know if they really have the heart for a move like that or if it is just a passing thought.

You might listen to GMAX here a little about that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1COaUmPtR4&feature=youtu.be&t=1627

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
acyclic

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 12:55:56 PM

You might listen to GMAX here a little about that:
Thanks for the link. Watched the video.  I had read many of the highlights in the various bitcoin blogs but it was best to see it straight.

So if the x2hf succeeds then based on user demand for the solution from core either:

1.) POW hard fork - which would seem to me to result in a low hash power altcoin since BTC will be already in play at Coinbase, Gemini, Bitpay... based on their public statements of following the majority hash power or being actual NYA signatories.

or.

2) Core team walks away.

As far as 1.) I am trying to game out the world where this happens and I see a low hashpower altcoin as being a pretty anemic vehicle for the Core Team.  But perhaps they indeed could add some attractive new features that users would like and try to slowly build support and turn it into a real player.  The timing is going to be the tough thing here as it seems to take quite a while for a community to change based on features and the BTC-from-segwit2x coin would likely attract some level of qualified development to at least copy good open-source ideas and tack in alt/core's wind to forestall some of their momentum.

Another position from his talk that I take to heart is that the further you are from bitcoin core the more plausible bad ideas seem.  I have led software developments (not cryptocurrency) and I know full well that this is generally true.  I also know that it can not be effectively used as an overarching lever to convince a business  community or business leaders that their views must be subordinated. (when perhaps sometimes they should).
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 01:13:14 PM

1.) POW hard fork - which would seem to me to result in a low hash power altcoin since BTC will be already in play at Coinbase, Gemini, Bitpay... based on their public statements of following the majority hash power or being actual NYA signatories.

You seem a little fixated on absolute hashrate numbers. Remember that if the PoW changed, the hash function is inherently different, and so comparing SHA256 hashrate with CuckooCycle hashrate is pretty meaningless.

You're also forgetting that PoW change will see Bitcoin mining explode in popularity, so the actual purpose of the hashing will be far better satisfied with such an unavoidably more decentralised hashrate.

You forget too that Coinbase and Bitpay are not the only providers of their respective services. And in fact, the recent news about Atomic swap transactions with BTC/LTC trading pairs is a paradigm shift in the making when it comes to cryptocurrency exchanges. Sure, Coinbase could provide it, but what would be the point in having a centralised point of trust when atomic swaps transcend the need? Who's going to trust Coinbase after all this strongarming anyway?

You should stop forgetting things Cheesy

Vires in numeris
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4528

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 01:37:08 PM
Last edit: September 26, 2017, 02:02:07 PM by franky1

gmax shot him self in the foot.

1. saying only the main contributors oppose it - so he only cares about his own employee's opinions not the real community.
2. he pretends to say its bad to change the rules. - yet has already changed the validation rules via segwit, the network topology via segwit, the transaction and block format via segwit and the 'priority' of transactions via segwit. and if he loses the vote in november where people no longer support cores implementation. he is then going to go on a orphan rampage and then go change the algo and security too.

yes core is setting up the walls to block other implementations.. not the other way around. the other implementations want to work together as a peer network of mutual respect.. only core wants to have control and wall itself away

3. he says that the hashrate does not matter and tries to twist it into a argument about the 'joules' of electric. its not about joules of electric. after all the joules of electric per hash have changed since 2009.. the real debate IS about the hashes. and security.
by this i mean... it took a few dozen computers a year (many many many kw/h to make the blocks of 2009-2010). but today anyone can replicate that with just a USB miner in days. so measuring security in joules is stupid

i think gmax should just man up and raise his hand and admit he has dropped off from wanting to make bitcoin great and is just trying to play around and mess with bitcoin to boost his ego and resume so he can make bulk loads of fiat on hyperledger. its too obvious what direction he wants his next project to be

in short. core has not been independent since 2014 and has slowly lost its appeal. soon people will realise the real point/ethos of bitcoin and realise decentralised/distributed coding/security means more than kissing ass

gmax has been sabotaging bitcoin since 2014.
making it too expensive to use for developing countries due to his fee mechanism changes.
removing validation with the 'treat as valid' crap purely for stupid excuses like 'efficiency' where there is no efficiency problems because bitcoin would still work on a current gen raspberry pi, let alone a modern basic computer.
and all the other back door trojan exploits he allows to side step consensus ... it makes me laugh when i see so many people kiss his ass, and not see whats beyond his butt-cheek

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
acyclic

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 02:06:38 PM

You seem a little fixated on absolute hashrate numbers. Remember that if the PoW changed, the hash function is inherently different, and so comparing SHA256 hashrate with CuckooCycle hashrate is pretty meaningless.

You're also forgetting that PoW change will see Bitcoin mining explode in popularity, so the actual purpose of the hashing will be far better satisfied with such an unavoidably more decentralised hashrate.

You forget too that Coinbase and Bitpay are not the only providers of their respective services. And in fact, the recent news about Atomic swap transactions with BTC/LTC trading pairs is a paradigm shift in the making when it comes to cryptocurrency exchanges. Sure, Coinbase could provide it, but what would be the point in having a centralised point of trust when atomic swaps transcend the need? Who's going to trust Coinbase after all this strongarming anyway?

You should stop forgetting things Cheesy

Comments are based on the assumption that current miners hold their signaled position.

Agree that hashpower  in terms of hashes per second can be much less, on a new hash algorithm, if there are no current asics available, and still be strongly credible.

However,

People are going to have to have the new Core selected hash scheme for POW quickly or the Core-ALT-Bitcoin will take quite a  while to get going.  If Core selects a new POW Hash scheme with the due diligence that it normally follows that would seem to take a fair amount of effort, test deployment, yada yada.   When are you thinking this is going to happen?  

I see the current Bitcoin wonderful success as a very large ocean liner, used by a lot of people.  Useage patters like oceanliners turn slowly.  So while there may indeed be longterm ways around the existing exchanges (and damn I hope their are),  I don't see that as having much effect in 2018 while Bitcoin-from-segwit2x rocks on and Core-ALT-Bitcoin is a low volume altcoin trying to get listed.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: