Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:59:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How big will this Satellite project be?
Very Big. - 22 (45.8%)
Big. - 8 (16.7%)
O.K. - 6 (12.5%)
Small. - 6 (12.5%)
Very Small. - 3 (6.3%)
No Clue. - 3 (6.3%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockstream's Bitcoin Satelite WWW w/ OuterNet USB Reciever.  (Read 20122 times)
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
November 29, 2019, 09:04:13 PM

Let's say one wants to sync the blockchain from scratch. What kind of download speeds are we talking about?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
November 29, 2019, 10:26:07 PM

Let's say one wants to sync the blockchain from scratch. What kind of download speeds are we talking about?

If it works anything like Satellite T.V. the speeds to YOU should be pretty damn fast. The speeds up to the satellite are likely modem speeds at best?

unsure. But from what I 'think' I remember from way back when.

Brad

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
May 07, 2020, 06:19:25 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Blockstream has a 'spendy' satellite solution.

I assume OuterNet that I highlighted here would still work just fine, as well as any other 'homebrew' versions.

here are the interesting links on such and speed increases

https://blockstream.com/satellite/

https://store.blockstream.com/product-category/satellite_kits/

https://cryptoslate.com/blockstreams-satellite-just-made-downloading-bitcoin-without-the-internet-easier-and-25x-faster/

What the heck, something to play with during the Pandemic and all. It's only money right?

brad

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
September 21, 2020, 02:07:10 PM

https://blog.bitmex.com/bitcoin-satellite/

Abstract: We have installed the Blockstream Bitcoin Satellite system, a way to download and verify Bitcoin’s blockchain via satellite, without the need for an internet connection. We were able to set up the system reasonably quickly and the satellite connection does indeed have enough bandwidth to keep the node at Bitcoin’s tip, most of the time. We conclude by establishing that although many Bitcoin enthusiasts are likely to find installing and running the system enjoyable, it is unlikely to serve any practical purpose for most users. However, because this satellite based system does have the potential to improve the censorship resistance characteristics of the Bitcoin network and defend against some forms of eclipse attacks, its existence is probably a positive development.

Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
September 21, 2020, 05:43:29 PM
Last edit: September 21, 2020, 06:07:06 PM by Searing

https://blog.bitmex.com/bitcoin-satellite/

Abstract: We have installed the Blockstream Bitcoin Satellite system, a way to download and verify Bitcoin’s blockchain via satellite, without the need for an internet connection. We were able to set up the system reasonably quickly and the satellite connection does indeed have enough bandwidth to keep the node at Bitcoin’s tip, most of the time. We conclude by establishing that although many Bitcoin enthusiasts are likely to find installing and running the system enjoyable, it is unlikely to serve any practical purpose for most users. However, because this satellite based system does have the potential to improve the censorship resistance characteristics of the Bitcoin network and defend against some forms of eclipse attacks, its existence is probably a positive development.

Heh, tempted, but I have not even put up the original Blockstream Thread unit! Too many 'toys' too little time!

Here is some more links in the following message for pictures and prices and such. I also updated the main page for the new unit.

From what I understand from this thread the 'old' unit of 2018 when this thread was made will also be upgraded and useable as well. So that is 'dandy' Smiley

My thanks for Last of the V8's for pointing this out on this thread. I had no 'frigging' idea! Smiley

Brad

Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
September 21, 2020, 06:00:15 PM
Merited by ABCbits (5), vapourminer (2)

Added below to the main page on this thread, for those of you set for new messages. Anyway, this is the 'toy' selling as pre-order now. Smiley

My thanks for Last of the V8's for pointing this out on this thread. I had no 'frigging' idea! Smiley

======================================================================================
Revised 9/20/2020 New Unit in Pre-Order with New Links below. Also supposedly the older unit below will also work with patches/upgrades
======================================================================================

Info on units and prices for both Pro and Reg versions below.

Blockstream Satellite Basic Kit: A consumer-grade satellite receiver, ready to connect a Bitcoin node at home. Requires a computer running Linux, e.g. a Raspberry Pi, to process the received broadcasts. Pre-sale: $279 / RRP: $299

Blockstream Satellite Pro Kit: Rack-mountable professional hardware that supports all the features of the Basic Kit, with additional dual-satellite capability for more reliable and faster data transfers, and multicasting (more on this below). Provides Bitcoin data to multiple devices on the same network. Pre-sale: $749 / RRP: $799

Blockstream Satellite Flat Panel Antenna: A flat-panel antenna array with integrated LNB offers a stylish alternative to a satellite TV dish. Users in the Asia-Pacific region should contact support to check compatibility before purchasing. Pre-sale: $179 / RRP: $199

https://blockstream.com/2020/05/04/en-announcing-blockstream-satellite-2/

A review here on the setup and how well it all works. https://blog.bitmex.com/bitcoin-satellite/

as of 9.21.2020

enjoy

Brad

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2024, 05:25:19 PM

Nice setup OP. Did you see eutelsat-113 (over South America) went kaput. Satellite is dead.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: