Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:31:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MyEtherWallet  (Read 591 times)
BKN123 (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 04:31:28 PM

Hey guys! Smiley

Can someone help plz.

I invested in one of the pre ico coin sales. I went to the website of this ICO, registered, and sent ethereum from my exodus wallet to this websites eth address. In couple minutes my account showed the tokens instead of the sent ethereum. It converted automatically.

Now I am trying to transfer my tokens/coins from the original website to myetherwallet. But I am genuinely confused.

How does Ethereum wallet work? I tried googling it but still cant figure it out. Does MEW support most tokens and gives me an opportunity to add new ones?
How is myetherwallet different from electrum, exodus besides the fact that it is online.

I added custom coin (bought at the presale ICO) and now myetherwallet says it is loading. I didn't even register for myetherwallet just did private keys from exodus.

Someone maybe can shine the light on this in simple language. Would be in debt forever.

Cheers from Eastern Europe Wink
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
5ensei

Activity: 728
Merit: 103

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 10:09:59 PM

My understanding is that MyEtherWallet is not really a wallet, it is like a viewer that allows you to see and control your coins on the eth blockchain (including eth coins).

You can only send tokens that are ethereum based e.g. skincoin so don't send something like waves tokens or it will be lost forever!

Telegram ❒◀           █▆▅▃▂    GoWithMi - Mapping the World on Blockchain    ▂▃▅▆█        Whitepaper❒◀
             Twitter❒◀               The world's first complete decentralized location-based services infrastructure            Facebook❒◀
Rozita

Activity: 658
Merit: 108

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 10:45:53 PM

Does MEW support most tokens and gives me an opportunity to add new ones?

You can add any Ethereum based token

I didn't even register for myetherwallet just did private keys from exodus.

You can use myetherwallet. There is no need to register. All your balances have imported into myetherwallet

Now you can send/recieve any Ethereum based token. You can use one address for all of them.
Proximity Scan

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 10:54:31 PM

MEW is just a platform that lets you download a new ETH wallet with its private keys. As long you keep your private keys, there is no problem for you. Never lose your private key and don't share it. Also keep your wallet file. For the tokens, you need to add them by using their symbol, decimal and contract address information. Some of the tokens are listed in MEW automatically, but most of them not.
nelmari

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 08:15:14 AM

MEW is just a platform that lets you download a new ETH wallet with its private keys. As long you keep your private keys, there is no problem for you. Never lose your private key and don't share it. Also keep your wallet file. For the tokens, you need to add them by using their symbol, decimal and contract address information. Some of the tokens are listed in MEW automatically, but most of them not.

Yes this is correct and as long as you have you private keys your tokens are safe. There is also a video on youtube on how to maneuver MEW and try searching then if you want to take a look or withdraw your tokens too as long as it is already available in the exchanges.
BKN123 (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 04:29:02 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. It is more clear now.

Myetherwallet does show the pre ICO coins that I transferred there. Do I just leave them there?

I intend to hold the coins for years and hopefully liquidate when the price is higher. Once the exchanges list this coin I guess I will be able to transfer them easily out of MEW and sell them?

Also what similar "wallets" do you guys use for coins that are not supported by Ethereum (based on ETH blockchain-not sure how to say this)?

Thanks
BKN

ahmadakbari

Activity: 602
Merit: 116

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 04:44:05 PM

Myetherwallet does show the pre ICO coins that I transferred there. Do I just leave them there?

Every Ethereum based token that has been sent to the wallet addres, is shown (You can add the coin if that's not listed)

I intend to hold the coins for years and hopefully liquidate when the price is higher. Once the exchanges list this coin I guess I will be able to transfer them easily out of MEW and sell them?
Thanks
BKN
Yes, you can Send them easily to every address you want.

Also what similar "wallets" do you guys use for coins that are not supported by Ethereum (based on ETH blockchain-not sure how to say this)?

Use myetherwallet for ethereum tokens and Waveswallet for waves tokens.
For other coins, The best you can do is visit their website and see what they recommend. Sometimes you need to download a wallet to store your coins safely.
bit-freedom

Activity: 658
Merit: 256

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 04:56:48 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. It is more clear now.

Thanks
BKN

Yes, you can keep your coins in myetherwallet if you intend to hold the coins for a long time. Please do not lost the file or secret key of the wallet.

Alternatively, you can get a hardware wallet (Ledger Nano S or Trezor) which cost around USD 100. Check out the official website for more information. You can keep BTC and some other coins in the hardware wallet too. I think it is a good investment to safeguard your coins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: