Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 12:18:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin user  (Read 891 times)
Kontakt (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 04:28:36 PM

I've been aware of bitcoin since 2011, but didn't get started until 2012. I've been a miner, observer and trader the entire time.

An interesting thing I've noticed about bitcoin, that might make bitcoin look bad. We have a few large demographics of bitcoin user:

The Radical
Politically radicalized and generally hates the US government. Always the first to post comparisons between administrations and authoritarian regimes, and scathingly deride anyone who disagrees by insinuating that they are mentally incompetent or unobservant.

The Curious 
Someone who is fascinated by the sentiment behind Bitcoin and the technology behind it, and wants to be a part of the movement and where it goes.

The Opportunist
Those who flock to Bitcoin because they smell money to be made.
Comes in two sub flavors, the good and the bad.
The good are interested in making money through Bitcoin legitimately, through mining, running a pool or some sort of Bitcoin service.
The bad scam their way into hundreds of coins, putting their effort into schemes and scams.

The Anonymous
The drug user, the money launderer, the subversive.
All the unsavory darkside bitcoin users who use Bitcoin for their illegal or amoral purposes.

The Freedom Seekers
The ones looking for liberty in all things, including their money. Often similar to the Radical, but generally less anti-government, and seek the legitimization of Bitcoin and acceptance of Bitcoin as it is.

Who did I miss?
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 02:59:29 PM

I've been aware of bitcoin since 2011, but didn't get started until 2012. I've been a miner, observer and trader the entire time.

An interesting thing I've noticed about bitcoin, that might make bitcoin look bad. We have a few large demographics of bitcoin user:

The Radical
Politically radicalized and generally hates the US government. Always the first to post comparisons between administrations and authoritarian regimes, and scathingly deride anyone who disagrees by insinuating that they are mentally incompetent or unobservant.

The Curious 
Someone who is fascinated by the sentiment behind Bitcoin and the technology behind it, and wants to be a part of the movement and where it goes.

The Opportunist
Those who flock to Bitcoin because they smell money to be made.
Comes in two sub flavors, the good and the bad.
The good are interested in making money through Bitcoin legitimately, through mining, running a pool or some sort of Bitcoin service.
The bad scam their way into hundreds of coins, putting their effort into schemes and scams.

The Anonymous
The drug user, the money launderer, the subversive.
All the unsavory darkside bitcoin users who use Bitcoin for their illegal or amoral purposes.

The Freedom Seekers
The ones looking for liberty in all things, including their money. Often similar to the Radical, but generally less anti-government, and seek the legitimization of Bitcoin and acceptance of Bitcoin as it is.

Who did I miss?
Apparently, you missed all the important players.  Those would be those spread across Europe who moved into Bitcoin immediately following the Cyprus money grab. 

You missed intelligent people acting in their own self interest, and you missed Gresham's law and the reverse Gresham's law.
inge

Activity: 298

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 03:31:19 PM

...Why do you want to label people?...
Kontakt (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 03:36:25 PM

...Why do you want to label people?...

I'm not doing this as a label, my intent was a perception filter.
People are SCARED of Bitcoin users.
When I talk to someone about Bitcoin who isn't familiar, the first things they bring up are drugs and terrorists.
If Bitcoin is to succeed in the general public, it not only has to be accessible but seem safe.
No 1

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Ad Infinitum Et Ultra

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 06:53:11 PM

You  forgot the "The Greedy"   Grin

12wqXQuExLnWoWWQy7j35hzBEW91bUz1YS
LcbBQ5oXtTjyKK4V8iaDqgUAAtahv9nsHR
Kontakt (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 06:55:06 PM

You  forgot the "The Greedy"   Grin

Kind of lumped them in with opportunist. Worst kind of bitcoiner imo.
ktttn

Activity: 126

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 07:08:22 PM

Yo why you gotta make the radical seem so mean and intolerant?
Can you guess how much patience and tolerance it takes to even talk to someone who is convinced dollars are backed by gold or that drug law and state violence are positive things?
The picture you paint is sort of negative, just saying. You might get a clearer picture of archetypes without making insulting generalizations and judgements about viewpoints you don't like.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc
ktttn

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 07:55:24 PM

The Radical
Politically radicalized and generally critical of the government. Always the first to make comparisons between administrations and authoritarian regimes. Committed to political activism and anonymity. Interested in bitcoin because of its political potential for disruption. Frequently anarchist or communist.

The Newbie 
Someone who is fascinated by the sentiment underlying Bitcoin and the technology behind it, and wants to be a part of the movement and where it goes.

The Fiat Converter
Those who flock to Bitcoin because they smell money to be made. Generally not interested in cryptology and stateless money.
Some are legitimate day traders simply hoping to get a return on their fiat money.
Others scam their way into a substantial number of bitcoins to cash out when the price is right.

The Scumbag
The unethical hacker, the poisoned drug dealer, the money launderer, the arms dealer, the child abuse image seller.
All the unsavory anonymous darknet bitcoin users who use Bitcoin for amoral purposes. Sometimes overlaps with the Fiat Converter or the Radical.

The Libertarian
The people looking for control over their wealth. Often similar to the Radical, but generally less  anti-capitalism. They seek the legitimization of Bitcoin and acceptance of Bitcoin as it is. Sometimes seeking a financial shelter. They are interested in making and protecting money through mining or investment in some sort of Bitcoin service.

Edit. I think its improved, but it still sort of lumps unrelated groups and makes jugdements. Mabye a miner hacker dev category would make sense, or scumbag fiat converter crossover.
Either way Id like to see more edits.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
bitjoint

Activity: 333

Commander of the Hodl Legions

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 09:53:17 PM

And aaaaall of them look like this...

Grin
ktttn

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 10:01:08 PM

Grin
flawless victory
/thread

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Kontakt (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 02:51:29 AM

Grin

Winner is you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: