Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:31:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FIFO for one crypto and LIFO for another?  (Read 877 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2017, 05:48:23 AM

I know that the IRS has specified that calculating your gains on bitcoin you should use FIFO or LIFO as long as you are consistent.

But can you choose FIFO for bitcoin and then use LIFO for litecoin?

The case use would be that you use FIFO and have fiat on an exchange that you want to move to another exchange but if you buy bitcoins then transfer to another exchange and sell you would be selling coins you bought years ago, not the coins you just bought. Thus requiring double capital gains.

But if you buy litecoins, transfer to another exchange and sell the litecoins using LIFO then you would have zero capital gains on the transfer.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iram1011

Activity: 896
Merit: 521

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 05:51:56 PM

I know that the IRS has specified that calculating your gains on bitcoin you should use FIFO or LIFO as long as you are consistent.

The case use would be that you use FIFO and have fiat on an exchange that you want to move to another exchange but if you buy bitcoins then transfer to another exchange and sell you would be selling coins you bought years ago, not the coins you just bought. Thus requiring double capital gains.

But if you buy litecoins, transfer to another exchange and sell the litecoins using LIFO then you would have zero capital gains on the transfer.
FIFO works excellent with Bitcoin for cutting taxes on capital gain. I haven't tried the one with litecoin till now. But with Bitcoin I always follow first in first out strategy and try to educate others about it too.
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 07:36:59 PM

FIFO works excellent with Bitcoin for cutting taxes on capital gain. I haven't tried the one with litecoin till now. But with Bitcoin I always follow first in first out strategy and try to educate others about it too.

In a rising environment such as Bitcoin, wouldn't LIFO give rise to lower capital gains (unless you liquidate everything)? Bitcoins purchased a year back are likely to have a higher capital base than those purchased 5 years back.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2017, 09:03:09 AM

In a rising environment such as Bitcoin, wouldn't LIFO give rise to lower capital gains (unless you liquidate everything)? Bitcoins purchased a year back are likely to have a higher capital base than those purchased 5 years back.

There are tradeoffs to both. With FIFO you are more likely to be cashing out coins you had for over a year which are taxed at a lower rate. With LIFO you pay a higher rate but the difference in price from when you bought them to when you sold them is likely smaller.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2017, 01:55:49 PM

When looking at stocks and taxes it says that you can direct which shares you want your broker to sell, but you have to be ready to prove that you chose those shares.

So in reality, even if you're doing FIFO or LIFO, if you want to choose a specific set of bitcoins to sell (older coins when you had been doing LIFO or newer coins when you had been doing FIFO) you can. As long as you prove that that is what you are doing.

cryptodontus

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 06:45:34 PM

When looking at stocks and taxes it says that you can direct which shares you want your broker to sell, but you have to be ready to prove that you chose those shares.

So in reality, even if you're doing FIFO or LIFO, if you want to choose a specific set of bitcoins to sell (older coins when you had been doing LIFO or newer coins when you had been doing FIFO) you can. As long as you prove that that is what you are doing.
So as long as every trade has a unique basis (including all future trades), the system is cohesive? Are timestamped spreadsheets good enough? as long as they include every account adjustment true to my 1099?
brontosaurus

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 08:41:48 PM

LIFO would be best if you want to just defer your tax expenditure while if you are looking to cut out on some tax then FIFO would work fine by atleast averaging up your earnings after each successful fiat withdrawal or else your capital gain will keep on increasing under LIFO until you withdraw almost everything.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: