Back when I was just learning about bitcoin, I was not secure with my wallet.dat and there is a small chance it may have been compromised. How should I fix that?
My understanding is that a wallet.dat actually has many keypairs for recieving addresses in it and when you create a new recieving address, it uses one of the precreated addresses, so simply creating a new recieving address on your original wallet is not enough.
Would this process work?
1. Stop bitcoin client
2. Move original wallet.dat offline.
3. Start bitcoin wallet - creates a new wallet?
4. Generate a new recieving key for new wallet.
5. Stop bitcoin client
6. Move new wallet.dat offline.
7. Move original wallet.dat into place
8. Start bitcoin client
9. send bitcoins to new recieving address.