View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 12:20:59 PM

So I'm a grad student living in an apartment complex designed for college students. (Off campus living, not dorms.) Therefore, my apartment complex had a large 24/7 computer lab on the grounds that is free to residents. The computers are always on and logged in, requiring no account logins, 100% public.

What would prevent me from going to this lab when it's empty in the early morning hours, downloading a mining program on each of them, and leaving it running in the background of each? I would then have 18 desktops mining simultaneously for likely days on end at a time.

Would this be legal? Illegal? Gray area?

Keep in mind my lease includes "full 24/7 access to the property gym, lounge, and computer lab." Wink wink.

I'm pretty sure there is some legal fine print somewhere that would say you aren't allowed to interrupt or interfere with services provided.

Aside from that the simple answer is any network or systems admin would likely already be blocking that kind of traffic or application on their systems/network so the miner may not work at all. If they don't block it, they may have it set to alert to the activity and once alerted you could get setup to be caught by authorities.

Depending on how it's argued from a legal standpoint you could be accused of "hacking" or something else. It also could make you liable if a network vulnerability was created by what you did that lead to the network being compromised in some other way.

CarlOrff

Activity: 826
Merit: 440

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 12:48:44 PM

So I'm a grad student living in an apartment complex designed for college students. (Off campus living, not dorms.) Therefore, my apartment complex had a large 24/7 computer lab on the grounds that is free to residents. The computers are always on and logged in, requiring no account logins, 100% public.

What would prevent me from going to this lab when it's empty in the early morning hours, downloading a mining program on each of them, and leaving it running in the background of each? I would then have 18 desktops mining simultaneously for likely days on end at a time.

Would this be legal? Illegal? Gray area?

Keep in mind my lease includes "full 24/7 access to the property gym, lounge, and computer lab." Wink wink.
"full 24/7 access" is not "full 24/7 usage" : you have to sleep, to eat, to clean aso...
Not legal, not gray area, but full illegal, of course !
How can you ask that ?
And you are a grad student ? Poor USA...

Bitcoin + privacy respect = BitcoinZ (topic BitcoinZ)
The only decentralized crypto that complements Bitcoin on privacy.
You missed Bitcoin in 2009 ? Do not miss BitcoinZ in 2018 !
Viperho

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 02:44:52 PM

ethically, no. i wouldn't do it. eventually it will be noticed by elevated temperatures/noise in the lab and will hamper your fellow students.  Though no account logins is asinine. they kinda deserve to be hacked for lack of security of their students. you also have to assume there is most likely some basic monitoring software installed on a public computer.  Though I wouldn't touch those computers with a ten foot pole.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 03:46:41 PM
Last edit: August 16, 2017, 03:58:51 PM by Za1n

If it were legal you wouldn't be online on a forum like this asking if it were. Anyway, the easier solution would be to contact the school's IT department and ask them if your plan is OK and get the answer in writing if they would say yes.

But you and I and everyone else who reads this knows darn well the answer is not going to be yes.

As already has been mentioned they will most likely block this type of traffic, or at least be monitoring for it so as to become aware of it. When I worked in corporate IT, I remember any public computers such as you describe also had a software installed that would basically revert the image to a known good baseline upon reboot, this coupled with a daily automatic reboot policy would wipe out anything like this that was installed anyway.

Plus being a grad student, I don't think you want all your educational efforts diluted by a "tried to hack the school's network" annotation to your records, much less any criminal charges they might bring. It probably wouldn't come to that as I am certain they probably revert any changes as mentioned above and wouldn't worry about it unless you tried doing it everyday to workaround their system, but then again why take the chance.

Edit, I  misread the first time, but anyway just substitute apartment complex manager for anywhere I said school and the same principles apply.
Wysi

Activity: 1624
Merit: 261

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 07:42:09 PM

Someone did this with doge years ago  Grin

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/harvard-student-uses-14000-core-supercomputer-mine-dogecoin/

Good luck!

Ben271286

Activity: 434
Merit: 100

I love this Game!

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 07:50:33 PM

"Odyssey and Research Computing resources can not be used for any
personal or private gain or any non research related activity."

Absolutely agree with that! Invest your own money like everybody else!
ghostwalker.ph

Activity: 322
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 07:57:46 PM

i bet he's gonna follow this kind of footsteps. lol
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: