Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:56:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I Think I Know Who Satoshi Is  (Read 6067 times)
bozak

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:12:50 AM

Agreed, great presentation, but not really enough evidence to convince me. 
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:21:38 AM

What is the earliest version of the code, or how to find the earliest version of the code written by "Satoshi"?

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
waxwing

Activity: 469
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:32:12 AM

The issue about British spelling may not seem to be very compelling but when you combine it with the British (and very British at that) newspaper headline in the genesis block, and the use of phrases like "bloody hard", it becomes difficult to ignore the Ockham's Razor argument here.

For what it's worth my sense, after reading as much of his stuff as I could find, was that this is possibly a high functioning autistic ("I'm better with code than with words.."), grew up in England most likely (although other countries are possible for sure), and due to outstanding thinking skills most likely studied at Cambridge, most likely Mathematics, probably around 30-40 at the time of creating Bitcoin, maybe worked in the Finance industry in the City (a very normal outcome for such a person after studying at Cambridge), and this would have naturally led to an interest in the issues that Bitcoin is designed to address.

The video was fun, but the suggestion is somewhat ridiculous. Mochizuki has been working on ABC intensively for many years (certainly overlapping with the period when Satoshi was actively developing BTC), and his colleagues will attest to this (although apparently none of them really understand it). You might as well suggest Andrew Wiles developed Google on the side while proving Fermat's Last Theorem.

I also heard someone suggest that Satoshi is Grigoriy Perelman, the Russian who solved the Poincare suggestion. It seems people have the idea that only the best mathematician in the world could have created Bitcoin, but that's ridiculous, the mathematics here is not at that kind of level. Bitcoin's success is more about architecture and incentives.

PGP fingerprint 2B6FC204D9BF332D062B 461A141001A1AF77F20B (use email to contact)
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:50:02 AM

Read the language used here: http://www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~motizuki/thoughts-english.html

It's very different than the language he used on this forum if they are the same person.

Chakraball

Activity: 81
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:51:05 AM

Satoshi is not Shinichi Mochizuki.

Why, you may ask?

Simply because Satoshi wrote his bitcoin white paper in British English, not American English.

Theater = American.
Theatre= British.

Functorially=American.
Functorialy=British.

color=American.
colour=British.

If you are looking for someone with an Asian heritage to be the real identity of Satoshi, you may want to atleast look into a British based English language education of the suspect. 'Princeton' is not British.

End of discussion

Grin

Well said, I thought this when I looked it up almost A WEEK AGO. This Ted Nelson guy uploaded this theory on the 17th yet I found this on the 11th
http://ownlifeful.blogspot.sk/2013/05/bitcoin-creator-satoshi-nakamoto.html
and came to the same conclusion as Franky.
Malawi

Activity: 224

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:56:02 AM

Waxwing have a lot of good rebuttals.

Still - this person may not have studied math or have a math-related job. Remember that american chess-dude who was somewhat excentric?

If Satoshi is a single person, that person is likely also a bit excentric... Not only did he create BTC with framework pretty much alone - he also just disappeared at some point and there are lots of untouched BTC at the start of the blockchain.

It may very well be some guy living a pretty anonymous existence, fiddling with whatever he finds interesting atm.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:05:53 AM

... to a western eye he definitely looks like a little nakamotoesque ...  Cheesy and his web page  is fun http://www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~motizuki/top-english.html

But I don't think so. The ABC conjecture dump is an interesting move ... but it was same tactic employed by Grigori Perelman with his Poincare Conjecture proof.

Basically, mainstream academia is no longer the place to publish seminal works because the mediocrity encountered is too boring to bother with for geniuses who "do not suffer fools gladly" ... and the Internet gives them another option.

noedaRDH

Activity: 182

Finding Satoshi

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:17:23 AM

You have it the wrong way around based on the timeline

Having a good proper English spellcheck is actually hard, compared to the many american based ones you get for free with most writing software tools these days. Darn you Americans owning the world lol.

So if Satoshi has great British writing style in 2009, why is Shinichi Mochizuki so very very american. it could be argued that a British expert would use a cheap software defaulted to American and allowed all of the British spellings be transformed into American.

But an American writing the white paper AND many, many lines of code and emails over several months to write in British style. now that takes some effort.

remember Satoshi did not just write the white paper, there is code in the github and email correspondence which can show that Satoshi's writing is very much British education based.

although i do not care about Satoshi's true identity, i do like to correct people when they are grabbing at straws.

i will now leave you with a quote from someone else with a hidden identity:

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Dark Knight

For someone as clever as Shinichi, faking an entire "British" persona may not be as challenging you would envision.

Perhaps you're right, Shinichi isn't Satoshi.

But we're all assuming that Satoshi is one person.

Perhaps Shinichi is a part of Satoshi - the group.

1NwGKiLcAngD1KiCCivxT6EDJmyXMGqM9q

Ask not what Bitcoin can do for you - ask what you can do for Bitcoin.
waxwing

Activity: 469
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 02:02:22 AM

What is the earliest version of the code, or how to find the earliest version of the code written by "Satoshi"?
Might be of interest:
https://github.com/trottier/original-bitcoin/tree/master/src

PGP fingerprint 2B6FC204D9BF332D062B 461A141001A1AF77F20B (use email to contact)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 03:02:13 AM

does it really matter who satoshi is,

how many know or care who alexander hamilton or King Offa of Mercia are and want to meet up with these guys for what they done.

just accept it an entity with a name made something.. now enjoy the rewards. knowing their true identity wont change anything and even knowing who, most of the forum readers here would not even do anything beyond it. so how about concentrate all your mind sets on main streaming bitcoin instead of who created it.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Zaih

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 03:34:52 AM

Such an amazing guy, such an amazing video.

I hope he's right. I really do
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 03:51:28 AM

how many know or care who alexander hamilton or King Offa of Mercia are and want to meet up with these guys for what they done.

just accept it an entity with a name made something.. now enjoy the rewards. knowing their true identity wont change anything and even knowing who, most of the forum readers here would not even do anything beyond it. so how about concentrate all your mind sets on main streaming bitcoin instead of who created it.

But you would like to meet them if they were alive!

I wouldn't mind meeting Britney Spears (Will.i.am tells me she's a whore).

Rippyzippers

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 04:29:14 AM

These threads make me Sad

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Profit from a rising or falling Bitcoin price.
Donate: BTC:1EtqYNJruZBEQWxDcEFytro7R1PGULPAm8
Anonymous Masks for BTC!
algorithmic

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 04:47:50 AM

I am sure Shinichi Mochizuki is not Satoshi because someone with such horrendous design sense could not possibly have created bitcoin  Smiley

BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 05:21:05 AM

Satoshi is not Shinichi Mochizuki.

Why, you may ask?

Simply because Satoshi wrote his bitcoin white paper in British English, not American English.

Theater = American.
Theatre= British.

Functorially=American.
Functorialy=British.

color=American.
colour=British.

If you are looking for someone with an Asian heritage to be the real identity of Satoshi, you may want to at least look into a British based English language education of the suspect. 'Princeton' is not British.

End of discussion

Grin

Very good point. However, if you are concerned about keeping your identity secret, that little trick of typing in British English is a very common and well known trick.  Plenty of cyber criminals talk/write in british english as well trying to throw off authorities.

Not saying you don't make a valid point. Just saying it's not rocket science to type in British English, plenty of "dumb" criminals do this tactic.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
BTCisthefuture

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 05:23:20 AM

It may matter if/when bitcoin becomes more mainstream. Already I've heard/seen A LOT of people discredit bitcoin or say it may be a scam simply based on the fact that no one knows who created it.  That certainly can be a concern for the legitimacy of bitcoin in the future if it wants mainstream adoption.   Or it might now matter at all,  but I've already seen US regulators bring up this fact when talking about bitcoin and wanting to further regulate it, they seem weary of something where they don't know the creator for whatever reason.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 05:35:06 AM

It may matter if/when bitcoin becomes more mainstream. Already I've heard/seen A LOT of people discredit bitcoin or say it may be a scam simply based on the fact that no one knows who created it.  That certainly can be a concern for the legitimacy of bitcoin in the future if it wants mainstream adoption.   Or it might now matter at all,  but I've already seen US regulators bring up this fact when talking about bitcoin and wanting to further regulate it, they seem weary of something where they don't know the creator for whatever reason.

I have never read that anywhere and I've been trolling this forum for years. It would be neat to find out who he really is and even better to be able to ask him questions but if he's not found I don't think it's a big deal.

BTCisthefuture

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 05:41:56 AM

It may matter if/when bitcoin becomes more mainstream. Already I've heard/seen A LOT of people discredit bitcoin or say it may be a scam simply based on the fact that no one knows who created it.  That certainly can be a concern for the legitimacy of bitcoin in the future if it wants mainstream adoption.   Or it might now matter at all,  but I've already seen US regulators bring up this fact when talking about bitcoin and wanting to further regulate it, they seem weary of something where they don't know the creator for whatever reason.

I have never read that anywhere and I've been trolling this forum for years. It would be neat to find out who he really is and even better to be able to ask him questions but if he's not found I don't think it's a big deal.

The other month when all the media hype was going on there were quite a few articles written by financial "experts" saying you can't trust bitcoin to not be a scam because we don't know who created it. Unfortunately I don't have the links off the top of my head to show you. It was some pretty big publications though like wall street journal, huffington, etc etc.

I forget the guys name but one of the main financial regulators in America said the same thing just a few weeks ago.

It certainly is something that comes up in the financial industry amongst people,  maybe it's just due to their lack of knowledge of bitcoin. I don't know. But I have seen it come up.

I do agree with you though, overall it's probably not a big deal.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 05:54:08 AM

The other month when all the media hype was going on there were quite a few articles written by financial "experts" saying you can't trust bitcoin to not be a scam because we don't know who created it. Unfortunately I don't have the links off the top of my head to show you. It was some pretty big publications though like wall street journal, huffington, etc etc.

I forget the guys name but one of the main financial regulators in America said the same thing just a few weeks ago.

It certainly is something that comes up in the financial industry amongst people,  maybe it's just due to their lack of knowledge of bitcoin. I don't know. But I have seen it come up.

I do agree with you though, overall it's probably not a big deal.

you do realise that if bitcoin was closed source using code that could not be reverse engineered then knowing the source would be important. and by source i mean source code.

but its open source.

people that say they can't trust bitcoin because they do not know the creator. well that is just rediculous. the bible is the most trusted and most read book in the world, yet all people know is that it was wrote by a bunch of guys. they cant be questioned or reveal any more secrets.. can they..

all people need to do is actually read the words to understand it and form educated opinions. basing opinions on something you have not even read will always have haters not understanding it.
that goes for bitcoin and the bible.

and by the way i am not christian but i have read the bible cover to cover... best fantasy story i have ever read, i wont ruin the ending for everyone.  Grin

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:21:22 AM

Hmm, who invented the wheel ?

Nobody knows buy we still make good use of them.

Many improvements have been made to the wheel over the centuries but it's still a wheel.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: