Bitcoin Forum
September 10, 2024, 07:16:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain APW3++ Troubleshooting Help  (Read 655 times)
sweezy (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 04:48:39 PM

First post!

I'm hoping someone can help me here.. I got a "new in box" APW3++-12-1600 PSU off eBay to run a second S9. The model number on this one shows APW3++-12-1600 A6, vs. the APW3++ I have running my current S9 which has a model number of APW3++-12-1600-A3.

Long story short, the new PSU is totally dead. I'm feeding it 220v and the fans power on but I'm getting 0v on every one of the PCI outputs. My current APW3++ runs fine on the same input. This PSU has a small red and black wire with connector coming out the back, and I've only been able to find a couple of others with the same wires. It's mentioned in this thread and includes a pic:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1294814.0

Bitmain has been completely unhelpful.. The response I got from support said that the red and black wire was not stock and that the unit has been tampered with, which is a bunch of BS - at the PCB the wires have the same white insulation material as everything else in the unit. (Another odd thing about this unit is that it includes 4 metal threaded tabs/feet for mounting, and I've never seen another one with that.)

This APW3 doesn't have the jumpered green and yellow wires mentioned in the above post, so that's not the issue. What the heck is this red and black wire/connector? Is it a reset of some kind? Do I need to do something with it to make the PSU run correctly, or is the thing just dead?
fusion0389

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 01:29:20 AM

First post!

I'm hoping someone can help me here.. I got a "new in box" APW3++-12-1600 PSU off eBay to run a second S9. The model number on this one shows APW3++-12-1600 A6, vs. the APW3++ I have running my current S9 which has a model number of APW3++-12-1600-A3.

Long story short, the new PSU is totally dead. I'm feeding it 220v and the fans power on but I'm getting 0v on every one of the PCI outputs. My current APW3++ runs fine on the same input. This PSU has a small red and black wire with connector coming out the back, and I've only been able to find a couple of others with the same wires. It's mentioned in this thread and includes a pic:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1294814.0

Bitmain has been completely unhelpful.. The response I got from support said that the red and black wire was not stock and that the unit has been tampered with, which is a bunch of BS - at the PCB the wires have the same white insulation material as everything else in the unit. (Another odd thing about this unit is that it includes 4 metal threaded tabs/feet for mounting, and I've never seen another one with that.)

This APW3 doesn't have the jumpered green and yellow wires mentioned in the above post, so that's not the issue. What the heck is this red and black wire/connector? Is it a reset of some kind? Do I need to do something with it to make the PSU run correctly, or is the thing just dead?

Most likely just dead. I received a dead one in my last shipment. Fan wouldn't power on which caused it to overheat very quickly. I know what cable you're talking about, I've seen it on some of them. BITMAIN psu are plug and play so no you shouldn't have to fool with any wires. However pictures would be helpful so we can comment appropriately. I'm assuming you're running on 240v power?
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 2667

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 01:34:06 AM

The red and black wires should be always-on aux 12vdc @ 2.5a, same as most server PSU's supplies have. 2nd choice would be for driving a DC-on light or monitor.

Agree if not a loose fan wire then the PSU is DOA.

DANGER! BE VERY CAREFUL POKING AROUND IN A PSU!!!
I hope it does not have to be said to always uplug the PSU... That said, the large line-side capacitors can hold a dangerous and painful charge for several minutes after the PSU is unplugged! Use a voltmeter to VERIFY they are below 25V before working on the PSU.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active Primary developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
sweezy (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 04:23:23 AM

Most likely just dead. I received a dead one in my last shipment. Fan wouldn't power on which caused it to overheat very quickly. I know what cable you're talking about, I've seen it on some of them. BITMAIN psu are plug and play so no you shouldn't have to fool with any wires. However pictures would be helpful so we can comment appropriately. I'm assuming you're running on 240v power?

It's identical to the pictures in the thread I linked in the original post, same connector and all. And yes, it's on 240v. I can swap the power cord with another APW3++ and it runs the miner just fine.

The red and black wires should be always-on aux 12vdc @ 2.5a, same as most server PSU's supplies have. 2nd choice would be for driving a DC-on light or monitor.

I hope it does not have to be said to always uplug the PSU... That said, the large line-side capacitors can hold a dangerous and painful charge for several minutes after the PSU is unplugged! Use a voltmeter to VERIFY they are below 25V before working on the PSU.

I'm not poking around inside, it's still under warranty, but yes I know to be careful around capacitors. Just based on visual inspection there don't appear to be any loose wires. Every single output is reading 0v, so yah, apparently this is a dud. Odd that it even has that aux connector, it seems too short to be of practical use, unless like you say it's for an on indicator or something. Also odd that this unit is labeled A6 instead of A3 like the others I've seen. Haven't found a pic of one yet with an A6 in the model number.

As an aside, Bitmain wants me to record a video showing me measuring voltage at input and from the outputs and send it to them before they'll issue an RMA.. Seems a bit overkill, but simple enough.

Thanks for the replies.
fusion0389

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 12:08:29 PM

It's identical to the pictures in the thread I linked in the original post, same connector and all. And yes, it's on 240v. I can swap the power cord with another APW3++ and it runs the miner just fine.

I'm not poking around inside, it's still under warranty, but yes I know to be careful around capacitors. Just based on visual inspection there don't appear to be any loose wires. Every single output is reading 0v, so yah, apparently this is a dud. Odd that it even has that aux connector, it seems too short to be of practical use, unless like you say it's for an on indicator or something. Also odd that this unit is labeled A6 instead of A3 like the others I've seen. Haven't found a pic of one yet with an A6 in the model number.

As an aside, Bitmain wants me to record a video showing me measuring voltage at input and from the outputs and send it to them before they'll issue an RMA.. Seems a bit overkill, but simple enough.

Thanks for the replies.

Curious what RMA process you are going through. I've sent back a S9 and a APW3++ without talking to bitmain at all. I simply followed this process: https://shop.bitmain.com/workOrderGuide.htm
sweezy (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 07:32:07 PM

I just emailed support and that's what I was asked to do. Is the US repair option available for PSUs as well as miners? I just bought this thing on eBay and would hate to have to spend half the cost again to get it to Hong Kong and back..
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 2667

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 08:16:11 PM

If you bought it on eBay then pursue the matter with who sold it to you! If they refuse - send it back and get a refund.

Even if it is brand-new and never used Bitmain will NOT warranty it because they do NOT have ANY Authorized resellers/distributors.

Again another reason to ONLY buy from the manufacturer or at least Factory-Authorized resellers..

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active Primary developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: