Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 09:55:08 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to buy 8 pin molex plugs?  (Read 1144 times)
Phil21 (OP)

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 10:39:13 PM

After buying the wrong part numbers on Mouser and blowing $30 I didn't have to, I was wondering if anyone has done this before.

I have a need to crimp my own PCIe power cables, but I need to find the "blank" plugs (and pins to go with them, but that looks easy).

The hard part is finding these 8 position molex connectors keyed the proper way for PCIe.  Anyone happen to know where to grab a bag of 20 or so of these?

I really miss local shops - I could just roll in, compare the connector with what I need, and roll out Smiley
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 06:06:21 AM

what? molex is 4 pin. i don't understand what you want.

here are 6 pin "blanks" male and female

here are 6+2 "blanks" female

here are 8 pin "blanks" female and male

that seller also sells lots of other blanks and cable parts

chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 07:58:20 AM

there's no 8 pin molex connector.....
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 08:01:30 AM

After buying the wrong part numbers on Mouser and blowing $30 I didn't have to, I was wondering if anyone has done this before.

I have a need to crimp my own PCIe power cables, but I need to find the "blank" plugs (and pins to go with them, but that looks easy).

The hard part is finding these 8 position molex connectors keyed the proper way for PCIe.  Anyone happen to know where to grab a bag of 20 or so of these?

I really miss local shops - I could just roll in, compare the connector with what I need, and roll out Smiley

I actually have a weird thing about that too. The internet brought us a plethora of cheap and easy computer parts, but it meant the demise of being able to browse things when we weren't already 100% sure about something, and it's actually rather frustrating.

As for your problem, I'm guessing that ssateneth addressed it, however I'm not sure what exactly it is you're looking for. Did you already wire-strip a bunch of molex wires out of a PSU? 2x4-pin to 1 8-pin adapters exist, and are probably easier than crimping, if you can get away with it.
Phil21 (OP)

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:00:06 AM

what? molex is 4 pin. i don't understand what you want.

here are 6+2 "blanks" female

That's what I'm looking for, thanks!  I actually did find that when searching, but then tried to order the same-looking thing off mouser and ended up with something 1/2 scale Smiley  Shipping time from the ebay vendor was the concern.

These are indeed Molex, at least the original design was.  I've heard a lot of plugs be called generally "molex connectors" which can mean the most common meaning 4 pin accessory cable, or some pretty exotic connectors made by them.  The original ATX motherboard connectors were described as 20 pin molex to me, but perhaps that isn't a common way to describe them.

Sort of like Kleenex, I guess.

What is the common parlance for these?  PCI Express power connector didn't get me much luck on the usual electronics parts sites.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: