Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:16:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon setup preparation  (Read 1462 times)
Landstander (OP)

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:36:07 AM

I have 1 3-module and 3 4-module Avalons ordered in Batch 3 and am trying to make sure I have everything set up properly before they arrive. I've read through many of the posts here and am just looking for feedback from those with first-hand experience with Avalons to see if I missed anything.

For the PSUs, I'll be using an 850W, Gold certified, single rail for the 3-module unit and 1000W, Gold certified, single rail for the the 4-module units.

The power management is the part I've had the most trouble understanding. I'm going to check the outlets in my apartment to find out which are on different wires (pardon my layman terminology, I'm sure I'm not getting it right). It sounds like I should be safe plugging in at most 2 Avalons per wire, assuming no other appliances are sharing that wire, is that right?

I was originally looking at getting a UPS for each Avalon, but a few posts here convinced me that they shouldn't be necessary, especially since I live in an area with infrequent black/brown outs (Seattle). I'd still like to be able to remotely restart the Avalons in case of any hangups, and of course protect them against power fluctuations, so I've settled on using "Web Power Switch 7" from http://digital-loggers.com/lpc.html. Would these be able to adequately protect 2 Avalons plugged in to each, or should I get 1 per Avalon? Am I correct in understanding that I would be able to remotely reboot the Avalons with these, even after a power outage?

Thanks in advance!

1LnV7h5xrFQ98HNxctKaASbB4xRBccT5Gm     Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:37:35 AM

why would you need to have a remote reboot? if the power goes out, your internet and router will probably reset too.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Landstander (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:41:54 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! You are correct, when the power goes out the modem and router would boot back up when the power returns. Would the Avalons also automatically turn back on and resume mining on their own? In any case, I guess I'd primarily use the remote reboot functionality in case the Avalons crash and stop mining, which I've read is usually fixed by a reboot.

mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:52:02 AM

Wait, you need to get a PSU to run an avalon??

I was under the impression that the were plug-n-play and shipped ready to go?

I bought a Avalon batch #2 recently. Where can I find out what I need so I will be able to use it when I get it?
Landstander (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:18:12 AM

Depends on how you ordered it. I ordered mine without PSUs so as to avoid any potential delays due to customs. I've built many machines so I figured installing a PSU should be easy enough.

Your Avalon store receipt should indicate whether or not you ordered yours with a PSU.

Lailoken

Activity: 66

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:23:53 AM

I have 1 3-module and 3 4-module Avalons ordered in Batch 3 and am trying to make sure I have everything set up properly before they arrive. I've read through many of the posts here and am just looking for feedback from those with first-hand experience with Avalons to see if I missed anything.

For the PSUs, I'll be using an 850W, Gold certified, single rail for the 3-module unit and 1000W, Gold certified, single rail for the the 4-module units.

The power management is the part I've had the most trouble understanding. I'm going to check the outlets in my apartment to find out which are on different wires (pardon my layman terminology, I'm sure I'm not getting it right). It sounds like I should be safe plugging in at most 2 Avalons per wire, assuming no other appliances are sharing that wire, is that right?

I was originally looking at getting a UPS for each Avalon, but a few posts here convinced me that they shouldn't be necessary, especially since I live in an area with infrequent black/brown outs (Seattle). I'd still like to be able to remotely restart the Avalons in case of any hangups, and of course protect them against power fluctuations, so I've settled on using "Web Power Switch 7" from http://digital-loggers.com/lpc.html. Would these be able to adequately protect 2 Avalons plugged in to each, or should I get 1 per Avalon? Am I correct in understanding that I would be able to remotely reboot the Avalons with these, even after a power outage?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you are off to a reasonable start with your power goals by checking the outlets in your apartment to find out which are fed by which breakers. However, it sounds like you are lacking the formula you need to be safe.

Watts/Volts=Amps. That's watts divided by volts = amps. Amperage is what you need to concern yourself with foremost. If you live in the U.S.A., you will have "120v" current, but because of voltage drop you may actually have more like 110v, so it is safer to use that figure for calculations. If in Europe, verify for yourself, but more likely 240v (also with a voltage drop to 220~).

To be 100% safe you don't want to exceed 75% of a device's (power strip, extension cord, circuit breaker) rated amperage capacity. So a 20A circuit that you plan to run 24/7 should not be loaded with more than 15A continuously. Depending on how recently your house was built and other factors, many of the circuits in your house are likely only 15A. 75% of 15A is only 11.25. And as we remember from our prior formula (Watts/Volts=Amps), we can multiply 110v by 11.25amps to get the maximum wattage suitable to run on a 15A circuit continuously. 1,237 watts.

In short, running both units on a single circuit is doable, but be careful Wink
Landstander (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:34:54 AM

Thank you! That was just the type of info I was looking for. My building was built decades ago, so I guess I should try and limit it to 1 Avalon per breaker.

As for protection, the Web Power Switch 7's spec sheet indicates that it has a 15 Amp thermal breaker, so I guess I should only plug 1 Avalon into each. It does say it has 3600J MOV surge protection, don't know if that changes anything.

gtlz

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 03:42:19 PM

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you are off to a reasonable start with your power goals by checking the outlets in your apartment to find out which are fed by which breakers. However, it sounds like you are lacking the formula you need to be safe.

Watts/Volts=Amps. That's watts divided by volts = amps. Amperage is what you need to concern yourself with foremost. If you live in the U.S.A., you will have "120v" current, but because of voltage drop you may actually have more like 110v, so it is safer to use that figure for calculations. If in Europe, verify for yourself, but more likely 240v (also with a voltage drop to 220~).

To be 100% safe you don't want to exceed 75% of a device's (power strip, extension cord, circuit breaker) rated amperage capacity. So a 20A circuit that you plan to run 24/7 should not be loaded with more than 15A continuously. Depending on how recently your house was built and other factors, many of the circuits in your house are likely only 15A. 75% of 15A is only 11.25. And as we remember from our prior formula (Watts/Volts=Amps), we can multiply 110v by 11.25amps to get the maximum wattage suitable to run on a 15A circuit continuously. 1,237 watts.

In short, running both units on a single circuit is doable, but be careful Wink

What's the average amperage draw of the B#1/2 3-module unit?
Landstander (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 08:20:48 PM

I'm looking at getting the Enermax REVOLUTION87+ 1000W that is listed in the confirmed working PSU list in the Avalon wiki: https://www.bitcoinstore.com/enermax-revolution87-erv1000ewt-g-atx12v-eps12v-power-supply.html

The wiki says it's a bit long; could someone who's using it share their experience with this PSU? Does the size cause any problems with the wiring? I searched but didn't see any posts specifically addressing this.

What's the average amperage draw of the B#1/2 3-module unit?

Well, the Avalon store page states the 3-module unit uses 600w at 120v, so using the formula provided by Lailoken of Watts/Volts=Amps we get 600w/120v=5A.

glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 08:28:21 PM

Also, I recommend a 6 pack of beer Smiley

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██