Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 06:16:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does mining slowes the pc ?  (Read 1828 times)
Gabriel- (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:54:51 AM

Hi,

I've been trying to mine for a big pool last few days and i noticed that my computer is not getting slower or anything. Eventhough my GPU is working hard for mining. How come ?
In other hand, my pc's fans are being noisy while mining.

So, does mining slow computers or not ?

Thanks
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 02:01:45 AM

GPU mining does not slow the CPU. It may slow the video card making screen refreshes noticeable.
atp1916
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 02:12:00 AM

OP,
A higher intensity/aggression means your gui will get progressively unresponsive and make it seem as if your computer has locked up or is 'working hard'. 

Rest assured, it's just your gpu working..not your cpu etc.

ctlegacy

Activity: 21

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 02:32:28 AM

Well put. Your GPU is working at 100% but your CPU will be close to idle. You can still use basic functions but if you try anything that requires GPU it will most likely lock up or restart your computer.
umairsaleem014

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 02:51:51 PM

Yes, It slow my pc.
CryptoJunky

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 03:02:43 PM

Hi,

I've been trying to mine for a big pool last few days and i noticed that my computer is not getting slower or anything. Eventhough my GPU is working hard for mining. How come ?

Thanks

Depends a bit on your computer. If you're running a single GPU with a decent processor you won't notice much except a decline in video performance. If you're running multiple GPUs with an older CPU you'll see more of a slowdown.

Your fans will be louder as they'll need to 'work harder' to cool the higher workload of your GPUs.

In short, some computers experience performance issues, some do not or experience only slight issues.

vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:05:03 PM

Hi,

Thanks

clear answer is your GPU will most likely never reach over 96% (feel free to check in ATI vision center) most of the time its around 92% but varies from person to person this means that the GPU can still work out basic things like webbrowsing and desktop work. but anything using more GPU than basic small amounts like youtube videos and movis and games the computer slows down. most programs like GUIminer atually drop the mining down to "try" and get both tasks working but you end up with reduced mining speed and a very glitchy video.

ujka

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:05:24 PM

GPU mining is stressing your graphics card. CPU is not very affected, so you can use your PC for browsing or typing.
Some time ago tried CPU mining programs and they were smart to lower it's priority, if I was also using PC.
ccc

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:11:14 PM

If the intensity is high enough, it will slow down the UI, especially if desktop composition (Aero) is enabled.
clel

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:52:40 PM

Depends on how much it uses you resources and it is not very productive.
Sparten

Activity: 19

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 03:54:15 PM

If using GPU get a cheap 2th GFX for rendering your screen.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: