Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 02:05:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Alt-coin creation tutorial  (Read 3091 times)
BladeRunner

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

Cheif Oompa Loompa.

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 08:12:20 AM

Okay am I the only one that thinks it's a terrible idea to make it easy to produce these garbage coins?
A brief tutorial can't teach them how to write the code necessary to impart anything unique or different into the coin, meaning that pretty much all the output resulting from such a guide would be absolute garbage.  Do we really need more useless coins with a different name and a different logo, maybe.

Please, if we are going to educate people, can we not try and take a shortcut?  maybe teach people what cryptocurrencies are actually about what what makes them tick.  Maybe then all these little skiddies would have a little respect for the work that's gone into some of this stuff.

But, if you do make this service, you should make a coin that people use to pay for it called CoinCoin: the coin you use to buy new coins.[/sarcasm]

And this is why I really think writing a document about how its done would be good.
hashunter (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 08:24:55 AM

I want kill my CalinCoin testnet with a 51% attack.
To achieve it I have to create a new seperated network which begin mining another blockchain from genesis or from last checkpoint.
Give this network more PoW power.
Let this network discover the other network.
And then Boom?! the other network will be eaten up?  Grin
jayo89

Activity: 180

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 08:33:01 AM

Okay am I the only one that thinks it's a terrible idea to make it easy to produce these garbage coins?
A brief tutorial can't teach them how to write the code necessary to impart anything unique or different into the coin, meaning that pretty much all the output resulting from such a guide would be absolute garbage.  Do we really need more useless coins with a different name and a different logo, maybe.

Please, if we are going to educate people, can we not try and take a shortcut?  maybe teach people what cryptocurrencies are actually about what what makes them tick.  Maybe then all these little skiddies would have a little respect for the work that's gone into some of this stuff.

But, if you do make this service, you should make a coin that people use to pay for it called CoinCoin: the coin you use to buy new coins.[/sarcasm]

And this is why I really think writing a document about how its done would be good.

You can't teach someone to be a commited, dedicated, or competent software developer with a document (and to create a successful coin, you're going to need at least one of those).  The projects are open source and the code is pretty well documented, so anyone with the technical background necessary to create and support/maintain a project like this for the forseeable future already has everything they need to get started.  Giving newbies a shortcut doesn't teach them any more than giving someone the answers to a test would.  Yeah, you're showing them what to do, but without an actual background in development they aren't going to have any idea why, what to do if their coin comes under hostile attack, etc.

We've got way too many coins that have been totally abandoned by their "developers" as is, shouldn't we leave this stuff to the people who are actually interested enough in it to take initiative and learn the right way?  It's like handing someone a paint-by-numbers kit and telling them you're teaching them to be an artist.

「   B e a x y   」   THE ALL-IN-ONE CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE
[ WHITEPAPER ]              Instant Deposit                   24/7 Support                    Referral Program              [ LIGHTPAPER ]
ANN THREAD     ●     BOUNTY THREAD     ●     FACEBOOK     ●   TWITTER     ●     TELEGRAM
jayo89

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 08:34:43 AM

I want kill my CalinCoin testnet with a 51% attack.
To achieve it I have to create a new seperated network which begin mining another blockchain from genesis or from last checkpoint.
Give this network more PoW power.
Let this network discover the other network.
And then Boom?! the other network will be eaten up?  Grin

More or less.  when more than half the network nodes are reporting the "bad" blockchain as valid, it means that unless intervention is taken, eventually the "bad" blockchian wins over because it's getting more confirmations.  If left completely unchecked, eventually the entire network would be overrun with the bad blockchain.

[ WHITEPAPER ]              Instant Deposit                   24/7 Support                    Referral Program              [ LIGHTPAPER ]
ANN THREAD     ●     BOUNTY THREAD     ●     FACEBOOK     ●   TWITTER     ●     TELEGRAM
gjpminingco

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Co-Owner Of DCMCo-Op Mining Farm at 3.5 th/s

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 08:48:28 AM

Who here could actually do the coding necessary to create a coin???

I have some ideas for a coin that will set it apart from any other coin out there

JohnDorien

Activity: 462

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 08:51:11 AM

I have some ideas for a coin that will set it apart from any other coin out there

I can program a bit.. willing to give it a try as i also have some ideas for real improvements
nwbitcoin

Activity: 294

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 09:04:59 AM

We've got way too many coins that have been totally abandoned by their "developers" as is, shouldn't we leave this stuff to the people who are actually interested enough in it to take initiative and learn the right way?  It's like handing someone a paint-by-numbers kit and telling them you're teaching them to be an artist.

This is exactly how innovation happens - its not clean and tidy, and ordered - that happens when someone writes the timeline history for crypto currency in 20 years time.  By creating this easy to do kit, everyone can learn the basics, and we move on to the next problem.

The next problem is how do you encourage people to have enough trust in your coin to give it real value?  You have already answered a part of that question - by not abandoning it unpatched after a few weeks! Wink

Think of this development as the difference between Hollywood and YouTube.  Cryptocoins are Youtube, and once in a blue moon, something makes it out of the site, and onto the big screen, or the Hollywood mainstream - but its rare.

In the history of the Internet, who remembers every development that lead to the next innovation?  Nobody.  Its only the big fish that make it, and that is why we should consider this altcoin making kit the best idea to come out of cryptocoins for at least 3 weeks! Wink

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
walf_man

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 09:09:40 AM

very nice.
i hope you success.
jayo89

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:34:03 PM

This is exactly how innovation happens - its not clean and tidy, and ordered - that happens when someone writes the timeline history for crypto currency in 20 years time.  By creating this easy to do kit, everyone can learn the basics, and we move on to the next problem.

The next problem is how do you encourage people to have enough trust in your coin to give it real value?  You have already answered a part of that question - by not abandoning it unpatched after a few weeks! Wink

Think of this development as the difference between Hollywood and YouTube.  Cryptocoins are Youtube, and once in a blue moon, something makes it out of the site, and onto the big screen, or the Hollywood mainstream - but its rare.

In the history of the Internet, who remembers every development that lead to the next innovation?  Nobody.  Its only the big fish that make it, and that is why we should consider this altcoin making kit the best idea to come out of cryptocoins for at least 3 weeks! Wink

But they aren't learning the basics.  they're learning how to fill in specific blanks without knowing how the engine works.  And you need to learn more then the basics to maintain a project like this.  An alt-coin isn't something that can be created and it's "done".  That's where garbage coins come from.

It's not a "big fish"  it's diluting the market.

A proper "starting pont" to creating a coin is the fully documented source from the few very successful coins out there.  If you can't make a proper coin from that, you probably shouldn't at all, because you won't know what to do when shit hits the fan, or the creator gets bored when they aren't rich in 4 days and abandons.

I can program a bit.. willing to give it a try as i also have some ideas for real improvements

^  This is the type of stuff we need.  The people with the plan seeking the people with the skills.  WAY better for the economy.

CryptoJunky

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 03:44:22 PM

actually would be better a script.

Imagine, "double click" to:
1 - download/upgrade compilers libraries
2 - fork a coin
3 - change the code
4 - commit to the fork
5 - login on bitcointalk and publish a new thread with ANN and the ultra new coin skills (optional)
6 - premine (optional)
7 - upload the binary
8 - (if 7 skipped) set a list of computers to be just ready to mine (optional)
9 - (if 5 and 6 skipped) new thread with ANN the text "no primined" on the list
10 - (if 6 skipped) mine, mine mine (optional)
11 - stay checking bter/btce to dump coins (optional)
exaclty this, there should be gui interface to start your own coin and select main parameters down load libaries (cross) compile,

in-fact If you want to start a bounty send to my BTC address and I will send all bounty to a working gui

this will either be the making of alts or their finish so should appeal to everybody

Good point. I think cryptocurrencies could be used on a micro level in the future, i.e. large forums could have their own cryptocurrency that is used. Image Reddit with a karma system replaced by a cryptocurrency where instead of upvotes you get partial coins. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out in any event.

hashunter (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 04:44:02 PM

Hello again.
Here are some news about my script and CalinCoin.
 - First I've decided to release CalinCoin but only when I'll have add some changes to the client.
I think I'll add multi langage support using INI files.

- Second I'll not release the PHP script because there are allready a lot of altcoins.
But! I think that launching his own Coin on testnet is something very interesting and instructive.
So I'm thinking about to create a "Testcoin" which load all the important informations from an INI file and you don't need to make any compilation or touch any C++ code.
barwizi
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 05:03:55 PM

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry i was sooooooo lookig forward to using this to implement an idea. Come on, at least give me a go at it, i even asked some boys i know to devise another GPU hard algorithm.
rme

Activity: 756
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 05:11:07 PM

I want a easy method to create an alt coin.  Wink
spoid

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

bearded, drunk, fat, naked

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 05:14:16 PM

a tutorial how to adapt a p2pool/pushpool to new coin clones would be much appreciated.

with great beard comes great liver. Reputation Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=195803.0
shakezula

Activity: 308

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 05:17:05 PM

I'm working on an alt-coin cut and paste tutorial with pictures for Devtome. Soon, soon...maybe by the end of the three day weekend.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: