Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 12:17:57 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone please make an INFLATIONARY coin?  (Read 576 times)
batman, not crabman (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 08:07:53 AM

I know nothing about making a crypto-currency, but all appear to be deflationary which encourages hoarding, not spending, as the value goes up over time.  If this was such a good thing then most governments would have stopped creating extra money long ago.
A coin needs to decrease in value (slowly and consistently) to encourage trading and keep the coins in circulation.

So, can someone (or better yet a group of coders + economists) get together and create a coin that addresses the shortcomings of previous 'get rich' coins.  As I see it the main 2 issues are the coin's value (over time) and transaction/confirmation time.

I don't know enough about this to suggest how it gets done, but I assume that an increased block reward over time would do it.  The devil is in the detail though, as the reward needs to scale with adoption.  If it goes up too fast the coins will become worthless and if it goes up to slow the currency will be deflationary.  I assume that inflation of ~2% pa, in line with most government targets would be acceptable, but I'm not an economist.  Perhaps the block reward can scale with difficulty?

This also opens up another can of worms, since the increasing block reward will mean that there is no upper limit on the number of coins available - is this even possible?

Much discussion ensues...

A horse walks into a bar and the barman says "Give me some Bitcoin!"
17TDYWdeL3GU2fsMSpV7itLYS2UJ91dCDx
bohanz

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 08:17:35 AM

http://freico.in/ encourages circulation and discourages hoarding. It has been out for quite some time now
bitdwarf

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 08:28:07 AM

Encouraging circulation a coin inflationary doesn't make.

For Freicoin, deflation's increase of value is stacked on liquid coins, but it's still deflation, specially considering the cap is only 100 million coins and some of them get lost or idle all the time.

YaCoin and NovaCoin have a minimum inflation via 5% yearly interests on savings, up to 2 billion coins (further inflation will surely be provided by auxiliary coins). True, it protects savings, but not any financial trading that moved coins around, unless trading was made with derivatives.

𝖄𝖆𝖈: YF3feU4PNLHrjwa1zV63BcCdWVk5z6DAh5 · 𝕭𝖙𝖈: 12F78M4oaNmyGE5C25ZixarG2Nk6UBEqme
Ɏ: "the altcoin for the everyman, where the sweat on one's brow can be used to cool one's overheating CPU" -- theprofileth
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 08:52:16 AM

There is no point in deflationary crypto. Its primary role transferring value does not rely on amount of coins but on value. For other purposes you can use fiat which is already inflationary.

GSnak

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 09:10:12 AM

Not so sure the US Fed making a coin would be good for cryptocurrency.
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 09:12:37 AM

Inflationary coin already exists. It's called USD, we don't need another.

LeChatNoir

Activity: 699
Merit: 501

Coinpanion.io - Copy Successful Crypto Traders

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 09:39:28 AM

I know nothing about making a crypto-currency, but all appear to be deflationary which encourages hoarding, not spending, as the value goes up over time.  If this was such a good thing then most governments would have stopped creating extra money long ago.

I stopped reading here.... LOL!

Coinpanion.io - Copy Successful Crypto Traders
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: