Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:53:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What should be done about Chartbuddy in the wall observer thread?
It should be deactivated - 30 (21.9%)
Nothing - 67 (48.9%)
It should have it's own thread - 37 (27%)
Other (describe in thread) - 3 (2.2%)
Total Voters: 137

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Chartbuddy  (Read 2114 times)
Le Happy Merchant (OP)

Activity: 634
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 09:37:44 AM

Please vote and discuss, I believe that as a community we can moderate ourselves so that everyone can be happy.

(Also actual mods)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sohd

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 09:40:22 AM

i love him, please let him stay :>
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:11:27 AM

If anyone doesn't like chartbuddy, just put it on ignore. What is the big problem?

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:17:42 AM

If anyone doesn't like chartbuddy, just put it on ignore. What is the big problem?

This is a community site.  To me, something feels off about a bot that posts every hour or so.  Its not a big deal - just a feeling of intrusion on a conversation.
BitPirate

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:29:49 AM

There should be MOAR BOTS -- until humans have to compete to be heard amongst the graphics. BRING ON THE SINGULARITY.

Seriously though, I have no big problem with it (although I don't find the graphics terribly insightful these days). The truth is, I have a few humans on ignore, while ChartBuddy hasn't made it into my ignore list yet.

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:36:23 AM

It's a bot, it won't get offended if you put it in your ignore list.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:37:10 AM

Just ban bot posting.

Until some hunk of silicon beats the Turing Test, there isn't anything a bot can post with value.

But singling out Chart Buddy - as infernally annoying as it is - isn't reasonable.

And incidentally, the Ignore button still allows pages and pages to be added to the high volume threads.  Waste of electrons...

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
Le Happy Merchant (OP)

Activity: 634

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:39:18 AM

That isn't what this is about IMO, people like to post the walls. The bot took their jobs and does it on a way some people can't even understand.

rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:52:22 AM

Chartbuddy should have its own thread without any meatbag noise among the glorious bot signal.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 11:35:42 AM

This is a community site.  To me, something feels off about a bot that posts every hour or so.  Its not a big deal - just a feeling of intrusion on a conversation.

I can see your point. If one isn't interested in it, it is a bit like "spam".

But, isn't it just in the Wall thread regularly? And the pic is to describe the wall, or aid in it, so it is totally on point/topic.

Would putting chartbuddy on ignore be any worse or better for you (and others) than disabling it? What do we lose just putting it on ignore? Even if only 35% want it and the rest don't and they vote on it to be disabled; then you have 35% unhappy people and that doesn't make sense to me when all we have to do if we don't like it is to ignore it. It is almost like A Democratic Republic, which was oddly America's "original" idea. You don't have to go along with the majority if you don't want to. You have a choice. Basically you don't interfere with anothers' rights and vice versa. Doesn't ignore do it all?

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 11:37:00 AM

+1

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:09:00 PM

Voted 'nothing' a.k.a. status quo.

Le Happy Merchant made a good point in the Wall observer thread about how human posts and discussion are almost always preferable over bot posts, and I agree with that in principle, but I also think hitting the 'ignore' button is easy enough *especially* when considering that a substantial number of people actually like chartbuddy's posts.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
cloon

Activity: 387

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:35:54 PM

he should make the graph for longer terms, the "valley" should be 4 times longer
most of his graphs have no useful information

donations to 13zWUMSHA7AzGjqWmJNhJLYZxHmjNPKduY
iikun
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:04:32 PM

On ChartBuddy's profile page there's a btc address.  I say leave him be (status quo) unless he becomes self aware & uses donations to start creating panic with market order sells   Cheesy
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:10:51 PM

There were some good suggestions in the Wall Observer thread and I think if ChartBuddy's creator implemented those it'd be a little less annoying

-Don't post in times of little price/wall movement
-Check number of new posts in thread, so CB is not posting more than once per page
-Increase time frame of movement shown in 3d graph to, say, 24h when volume/volatility is low, and shorter time frames when volume/volatility is high.
etc.

I know that other people are supposed to post wall photos themselves, and they do, but I've never seen anyone aside from Chartbuddy post a 3d wall photo. Sometimes those are interesting to read. Also, sometimes the wall thread goes pages and pages with off-topic drivel and no one even bothers to post a wall photo and discuss. Also, often discussion of walls takes place with no actual photos to refer to, and silly noobs make mistakes interpreting walls and make ridiculous claims. At least with CB, you don't have to go load another webpage to find a wall pic to refer to, if no one else posted a wall pic.

phatsphere

Activity: 763

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:11:01 PM

other: pseudo 3d on a 2d monitor is the worst type of visualization ever invented. the chart should be modified to be a flat 2d matrix. it shows the heights on each side in a color coding.

edit: along this: http://matplotlib.org/examples/pylab_examples/tricontour_demo.html
Polvos

Activity: 597

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 02:31:10 PM

Maybe he is a bot, but he is our bot.

01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 02:39:32 PM

Keep it.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 03:09:58 PM

it would be really cool if it posted other charts periodical and if price hasn't move at least 2% not post a new depth chart
in any case chart buddy is gr8
i just wish he was with use the hole time.

micalith

Activity: 894
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 03:51:12 PM

he should make the graph for longer terms, the "valley" should be 4 times longer
most of his graphs have no useful information
+1
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 04:59:19 PM

That isn't what this is about IMO, people like to post the walls. The bot took their jobs and does it on a way some people can't even understand.

feel free to post wall pics from mtgox of btccharts thos 2D charts are easier to read and better looking.

i'm sure no one minds seeing more charts in the charts thread more charts  in the charts thread more charts!

A dedicated thread where only charts are allowed would be nice too

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 07:55:12 PM

Current iteration of chart buddy posts information that is largely useless.

I voted the bot should be deactivated, however my intention here is that the bot operator would voluntarily make this choice. We as a community do not have the right to strong arm our friendly neighborhood bot operator, unless there are some ground rules that the bot is breaking.

It's useful to me. Sometimes I want to see how did the orderbook evolved while I wasn't looking, and the bot produces that exact information. I can go to its profile and see its posts, and pinpoint any particular moment in time. Can even find out when my orders went through.

As I said before, if you don't find it useful, go ahead and ignore it.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 03:01:06 PM

I agreed to be bound by this poll but the results are currently looking a bit confusing. Most people are saying to leave ChartBuddy as-is but the sum of those voting for deactivation and those who want it in its own thread is almost equal (Though still slightly less) than the leave-it-alone vote. Since the do-nothing votes are ahead even with that accounted for, I'll leave it for now but I'll try and work out a way to rephrase the poll to find the best way forward. But in the meantime, please remember that the ignore button is there.

One thing I can possibly do is add some options that people can set to control how Chartbuddy displays stuff. He would still post to the thread every hour but people could say whether they want the big chart every 4 hours, daily, smaller whatever and just get small placeholder images every hour.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: