Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:13:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Asus Launches Mining Motherboard supporting 19 cards - this is getting absurd  (Read 2530 times)
deadsix (OP)

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 05:10:50 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2017, 05:39:36 PM by deadsix

Shoutout to creepas, I saw this at his page http://blog.invictusmining.com/

The biggest Pro that I see is : 3 x PSU Headers on the board mean you do not need to externally link the PSU's, you can directly connect them to the motherboard and they will all be started together by the motherboard.
That, and the reduced hardware costs and cheaper OS/monitoring service - only one copy of ethOS, SmOS MinerstatsOS needed so the fee is one third.

Ofcource I personally haven't even crossed 8 GPU per board for fear of stability, and to avoid multiple PSU's and the complexity they bring. But this makes me want to get one just to experiment with it Cheesy

Once again, would request our asian friends to keep their eyes peeled, and let us know when these show up in retail.

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 05:19:44 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2017, 05:33:12 PM by Za1n

While it is definitely cool from a technological Gee-Wiz standpoint, I agree that it is getting a bit ridiculous. There is certainly a cost efficiency and management reduction by running multiple GPUs off a single motherboard, but at some point one needs to ask where is the optimal point.

Pros
- Decreased system cost as the Motherboard, RAM, CPU and storage (SDD or other) costs can be spread across more GPUs as they are added.
- Less administrative management of rigs as one 18 GPU rig is easier to manage as far as updates than there is with three 6x GPU rigs.

Neutral
-Power supply requirements stay about the same as it is mainly GPU driven. With the looks of the motherboard, it is expecting at least 3 PSUs anyway, which would be the same requirement for three 6x rigs.

Cons
-If one GPU crashes and causes the rig to hang, lockup, or fail, you lose all 16 GPUs of mining power during the downtime. With multiple rigs you spread out that risk.
-Introducing multiple PSUs into a single rig can cause more overall instability than a single PSU rig.
-Complexity, each additional GPU can add more complexity as far as drivers, OS support, stability, just general troubleshooting, etc.

I can probably think of others with time, but for me the optimum sized rig would be somewhere around the 6, 7 or 8 GPUs per rig ballpark and running on a single PSU.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 06:27:44 PM

seems like one of the better though out mining boards. 3 molex for pcie slots, 3 atx psu connectors. seems like you could make a cleaner setup on that board.
Set Ready Go

Activity: 273
Merit: 17

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 06:40:26 PM

This looks really nice.

and the 3 atx  connectors looks nice, no more add 2 psu needed or whatever cable.

Only thing i can see that would have been nice is the on/off/reset button as on h110 pro btc one.

other then that im drooling  Grin
soothaa

Activity: 1151
Merit: 528

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 06:45:41 PM

I am in agreement that this is too many GPUs to be considered viable. I mean really, at this point how are you going to cram all those risers with the extension cables into that area? You are going to run out of space and wire length! You will have to buy extra expensive 2 or 3 meter wires if that is even possible! Really cool idea but I just do not see this working out well. I can still buy a mobo cpu and ram to run 7 GPUs for like $200ish - that is working very well for me and I do not really want to do higher than that.

Want increased coin support within AwesomeMiner? Try my free plugin to add support for nearly any coin! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2979494
Want Masternode income stats within AwesomeMiner? Try my free plugin to add support for them! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3047367
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 06:54:51 PM

I guess this is only for linux right, windows can only manage 8 amd and 8 nvidia cards.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
NameTaken

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 07:08:57 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2076048.msg20743121#msg20743121
Arnoldent

Activity: 64
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 07:17:58 PM

seems like one of the better though out mining boards. 3 molex for pcie slots, 3 atx psu connectors. seems like you could make a cleaner setup on that board.

I like the 3 atx psu connectors
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2017, 07:31:00 PM

Looks good AF. But 19 GPUs... i would love to see uptime statistics on someone using this.
Branko

Activity: 2464
Merit: 318

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 08:01:20 PM

I guess you missed Biostar one that supports 104 GPUs
bobben2

Activity: 279
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 08:05:14 PM

For the guys looking to deploy GPUs in the 100s this makes perfect sense

Fellow miners, get your thens and thans in order and help other forum readers understand what you are writing. Remember the grammar basics:  B larger THAN A (comparator operator). If something THEN ....
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 08:06:27 PM

I guess this is only for linux right, windows can only manage 8 amd and 8 nvidia cards.

Latest update of Windows 10 has added more GPU-s support but still I am not confident that they will run without problems in Windows. I guess too this is Linux territory as there you can add as many GPU-s as your board supports and Linux is much better in handling more hardware than Windows is.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
anders31

Activity: 53

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 08:10:40 PM

does Z270-A PRO support 9 gpu? when moded bios?
Branko

Activity: 2464
Merit: 318

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 08:12:17 PM

64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 10:45:21 PM

IMO, one other issue to be sorted out for the GPU's is managing power consumed per unit volume, since the majority of risers are only available in certain lengths.

Maybe the next rev of GPU mining is mounting the GPU's separately in some sort of open air, weather protected enclosure, against the outside wall.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 03:44:02 AM

Latest update of Windows 10 has added more GPU-s support.

Do you have the source?

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
car1999

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 04:29:53 AM

nice work, the interesting thing is price, I'd like to buy it around 150USD.
TheTrunK

Activity: 34

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 07:03:18 AM

Any official source avaiable? Right now I can buy asrocks h81 with cpu about 50$, so if the price will be that high as the asrocks h110 is (180+$), then its pointless.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 07:22:02 AM

The 3 ATX is most likely if you are using the old ribbon risers which require the +3.3V line.

If you connect the 3 ATX from different PSUs together it will kill all the PSUs.

Pretty sure that's the reasoning for the 3 ATXs.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
molitar

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 07:43:30 AM

The 3 ATX is most likely if you are using the old ribbon risers which require the +3.3V line.

If you connect the 3 ATX from different PSUs together it will kill all the PSUs.

Pretty sure that's the reasoning for the 3 ATXs.

I can tell that you are not familiar with Servers and there power supplies.  This mobo has a built in Power Distribution Board that will do a 1+1+1 PSU configuration so it will total the entire 3 PSU's for a single wattage!   

Server's have had this capability for a long time now.  You can run server PSU's as a 1 + 0 which means that one PSU is redundant in case one goes out or if you have a lot of devices or GPU's in the server you can run the PSU's as 1 + 1 which is additive for the wattage needed to run higher wattage.  Dell has a server that has 1 + 1 + 0 so it adds two PSU's and the third is redundant in case one fails.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: