Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:10:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is best cold storage for bitcoin?  (Read 992 times)
1982dre

Activity: 1372
Merit: 512

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2017, 02:24:22 PM

My opinion is that the best store of bitcoin is the account verified on the exchange. First, you always have the ability to quickly sell their bitcoins, and secondly you can earn by selling and buying coins. Why keep it in the fridge?

Are your serious? Do you live on earth? Millions of times we keep saying to not store your coins in any exchanges, it is not a safe habit in any way. It's maybe one of the less safe places to do it... And you tell to the OP to store his coins on an exchange?Huh I think people will never learn until it happens to them.

That was indeed the worst advice ever. Tell this to the people who had coins on Mintpal or MtGox.

.....1% HOUSE EDGE.....
.....FAUCET 3.5K...........
.....RAINBOT
10K..........

█████
 █████     ███
  █████     ███     █
   █████     ███     █
    █████     ███     █
     █████     ███     █
      █████     ███     █

█████     ███     █

█████     ███     █

█████     ███     █

█████     ███     █

█████     ███

█████
..DuckDice..
█████
███     █████
█     ███     █████ 
█     ███     █████  
█     ███     █████   
█     ███     █████    
█     ███     █████     
█     ███     █████

█     ███     █████

█     ███     █████

█     ███     █████

███     █████

█████

.....★  B O N U S E S.....
  L O T T E R Y......
  J A C K P O T......
Pleione527

Activity: 266
Merit: 111

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 02:25:05 PM

If you are planning to keep your bitcoin in a long period better have an offline wallet I would always suggest it because it will give you the security you want. Having an online wallet is also good just be sure you properly encrypt it with a strong password it's just a matter of proper protection on your wallet and always keep your password private.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2017, 02:28:28 PM

For most people the best cold storage will be a hardware wallet. Trezor was first followed by Ledger then later KeepKey. KeepKey uses a fork of Trezor software. Digital Bitbox is also an option but limited to Bitcoin and Ether.

You can get a Trezor right away. Nano S from Ledger is not shipping until end of September. KeepKey is very pretty but I figure if you are going to use Trezor code why not stick with the original.

Foster456

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 02:32:41 PM

In my opinion saving bitcoin in an offline wallet is the best as compared to other ways of storing bitcoin.Although it has its own disadvantages, like in a situation whereby there is a fire outbreak in the place is been kept.
Cheesy Cheesy yes, burn or lose, will probably cry
Babyrica0226

Activity: 854
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 03:05:25 PM

My opinion is that the best store of bitcoin is the account verified on the exchange. First, you always have the ability to quickly sell their bitcoins, and secondly you can earn by selling and buying coins. Why keep it in the fridge?
The person behind the topic is asking the best cold storage for bitcoin, therefore exchange is not a cold storage where you can store your bitcoin. It is not advisable also to store in the exchange if you have a huge amount of bitcoin. So, for what I can recommend is download Electrum wallet this is a very safe wallet where you can store your bitcoin safely. Just save the password and the seed words in your USB or
somewhere else in your desktop or laptop.
Rinaze

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 03:13:04 PM

Exchange might be the last place you want to hold your currency coins unless you are trading on a daily basis. The best way to store your coins right now is via hardware wallet but all the reliable and reputable ones cost quite a bit.

There will probably be a backlog even if you order now, a million dollars industry yet nobody is entering with a budget / more affordable hardware wallet. I wonder if it's technically challenging to create one or just nobody else want a share of that pie. Anyway, for hardware wallet, you can try taking a look at Nano S Ledger or Cryposteel (both hardware wallet but operate quite differently).

haroldtee

Activity: 644
Merit: 299

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 03:22:02 PM

I can't believe a full member on this forum can give this kind of advice! But who am I to judge anyway? OP requested for a cold storage and you brought up an exchange as the best way? Do you even have a slight idea of what a cold storage means?
By the way, OP, if you are looking for a cold storage, I will advise you go for a hardware wallet like Trezor or Ledger Nano. They are quite affordable but if you do not have the bux, you can just go for a paper wallet instead and keep it in a very safe place.
You may also try some good light desktop wallets like electrum or exodus which gives you access to your private key.  Once you open one, you can just back up your account, keep the backups safely at least offline, and only access whenever you need it. All you need is just your public address to receive bitcoins anyway. Please remember that if you are going to make use of this, desktop wallets are as safe as your PC.
Ejanend

Activity: 460
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:57:07 AM

In my opinion saving bitcoin in an offline wallet is the best as compared to other ways of storing bitcoin.Although it has its own disadvantages, like in a situation whereby there is a fire outbreak in the place is been kept.
Cheesy Cheesy yes, burn or lose, will probably cry
For sue it is very important to keep our bitcoin save because it is the only thing on which you can depend for your future that it will give you a secure future so there are some wallets such as hardware wallet which is good but it takes time for the shipping so some other like Nano s and the paper wallets and blockchain is also being use so it is not difficult to make your bitcoin save now.

BUY CRYPTO AT REASONABLE RATES
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▄
██████ ▄█▄ ██████
██████ █████ ██████
█████ ▄ ███ ▄ █████
████▌▐██ █ ██▌▐████
███▄ ▀▀▌ ▐▀▀ ▄███
▀████▄▄ ▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
████        ▀████
███████  ███  █████
███████      ▀█████
███████  ███  █████
████        ▄████
▀█████▄█▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀█████▄
██████   ▐███████
██████▌   ▀▀███████
█████▀    ▄████████
████▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀████
███▌         ▄███
▀█████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
&OTHER
COINS
Lillian89

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 05:02:13 AM

Honestly I think Trezor is fine, but unnecessary.
My personal method of choice is distributed (copies of) BIP38 encrypted paper wallets, costs next to nothing (just the price of the paper), and these encrypted keys can also be safely stored on digital devices as well for redundancy as they are encrypted and safe as long as your password is strong.
I think you're being a bit paranoid with your printer tbh, I mean it never hurts to be safe but the chances of your printer being compromised are really next to nil.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: