Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 03:09:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Malicious PACs and Bitcoins  (Read 710 times)
aetos (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 05:41:11 PM

http://www.securelist.com/en/blog/208195033/Malicious_PACs_and_Bitcoins
blastbob

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 05:43:44 PM

Yea focus on security has always been learning by burning.

Bitrated user: blastbob.
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 05:50:00 PM

I keep backups of my wallets and have them encrypted by really strong passwords that I store in Keypass. I enter part of my main Keypass password with a virtual keyboard to thwart ( love that word heheh ) potential keyloggers.

I figure, even if my wallet.dat files get stolen, it'll take a millenium with current technology to break the encryption, so I feel pretty safe.

Am i though ?

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
blastbob

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 05:52:18 PM

I keep backups of my wallets and have them encrypted by really strong passwords that I store in Keypass. I enter part of my main Keypass password with a virtual keyboard to thwart ( love that word heheh ) potential keyloggers.

I figure, even if my wallet.dat files get stolen, it'll take a millenium with current technology to break the encryption, so I feel pretty safe.

Am i though ?

Most people don't do it the way you do it, its to hard over time so they get sloppy Smiley

aetos (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 05:52:47 PM

i wonder with all these alt coin releases  Smiley what if again i say what if they offer you coin x   ..and steal your wallet.dat Smiley   especially the way that they mine new coins convert to ltc or btc.. again i say what if lol
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 06:27:30 PM

i wonder with all these alt coin releases  Smiley what if again i say what if they offer you coin x   ..and steal your wallet.dat Smiley   especially the way that they mine new coins convert to ltc or btc.. again i say what if lol

Encrypt your wallet and use Yubikey.
sor.rge

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 06:43:43 PM

Am i though ?
The article speaks about a phishing attack on Mtgox, so your measures will not help in this case. If you will be a victim of such an attack, they could steal your bitcoins stored at the exchange, and possibly also the money.
aetos (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 06:48:57 PM

Am i though ?
The article speaks about a phishing attack on Mtgox, so your measures will not help in this case. If you will be a victim of such an attack, they could steal your bitcoins stored at the exchange, and possibly also the money.

He is right, that there is Trojan software in a heap of bitcoin stuff,
but wrong in saying encrypting your wallet will stop it getting stolen.
The trojens are often keyloggers so they just record your passwords and send that back with the wallet.dat
Even without your encryption password I suspect someone with enough FPGA fire power could brute force your password anyway.
Your best bet is to have your bitcoin client on a linux boot from a USB stick and keep it in a sterile quarantined OS.
blastbob

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 06:50:09 PM

Am i though ?

The trojens are often keyloggers so they just record your passwords and send that back with the wallet.dat
Even without your encryption password I suspect someone with enough FPGA fire power could brute force your password anyway.
Your best bet is to have your bitcoin client on a linux boot from a USB stick and keep it in a sterile quarantined OS.

How to make all this n00b friendly? Smiley

sor.rge

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 06:58:17 PM

Exactly. If you caught a Trojan tailored for bitcoin, you're pretty much done no matter what you do. There's a thousand ways to intercept your password next time you type it, by patching your bitcoin client for example. Bitcoin is extremely insecure in this respect.
aetos (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 07:19:08 PM

If Bitcoins are a set of digital Alpha/numerric characters for each Bitcoin, then each REAL transaction should add the sellers 'input' characters to the code that verify that the seller ACTUALLY sold them to a Specific buyer, who know has them in his Account/s. They need to be traceable, that way.
So, stealing them would not add any verifiable characters to each Bitcoin, which should render them worthless to the thief, but still holding their value for the owner they were 'stolen' from.
IF he was SMART enough to keep them backed-up, then he'd still have his version of the digital docs, that have his code attached to them,

NO?
sor.rge

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 07:32:27 PM

Bitcoins do not exist as a separate entity, in the network there are only transactions. Each transaction has some other transactions as inputs and a destination address, and it's signed using the sender's key. Stealing means publication of an unauthorized transaction in favor of the thief's address, and the resulting funds are quite usable by the thief, and lost for the original owner, since the transactions are irreversible.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: