Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 07:40:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how would you gift a bitcoin balance to a non technical person?  (Read 1744 times)
stslimited (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 06:12:36 PM

Hello, how would you gift a bitcoin to a non technical person?

and how would I distribute the private key to them?

I don't want to turn it into a riddle for them either. maybe I should just make them a blockchain.info account?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BadBitcoin (James Sutton)
Donator

Activity: 452
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 06:21:41 PM

physical bitcoins or bitcoin debit cards would work best, keep it as tangible as possible and avoid directly using the wallet.
bowen151

Activity: 658

Caveat Emptor

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 06:24:41 PM

A casascius coin could be nice but it would only beg more questions from the person you are gifting it to, you would still have to explain that they need to use a service to import the privatekey etc.

I think that letting someone make their own blockchain.info account would be more beneficial. It would give them the opportunity to poke around the site without sending coins to anyone by accident.

Then maybe you could get away with handing them a casascius coin, a bitbill, a paper wallet you have printed out yourself or just send it to their new address which would be easily identified to this new user when logging in to the site.

-Buying/Selling graphics cards every month
--Buying BTC every month £/$/€200+ wanted
---UK based re-seller of physical bitcoins  Click here to buy
stslimited (OP)

Activity: 546

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 07:15:52 PM

A casascius coin could be nice but it would only beg more questions from the person you are gifting it to, you would still have to explain that they need to use a service to import the privatekey etc.

I think that letting someone make their own blockchain.info account would be more beneficial. It would give them the opportunity to poke around the site without sending coins to anyone by accident.

Then maybe you could get away with handing them a casascius coin, a bitbill, a paper wallet you have printed out yourself or just send it to their new address which would be easily identified to this new user when logging in to the site.

hmmmm

what base units do casascius coins and bitbills come in?  1? what if I don't want to gift 1, then a paper wallet is the only way?

I don't want to do any handholding on this nor do I want to have them trying to solve a riddle once they figure out there is an exchange rate

"what you have to do is download this program from sourceforge, and then unzip it... you have to find where you saved the file, then open command prompt"

yeah no.

I think I'll just make a blockchain account, sent whatever I want at my discretion and give them the login info.

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 08:16:33 PM

I believe they only come in 1 & up, but you might want to contact users who sell them, or casascius itself.

hmmmm

what base units do casascius coins and bitbills come in?  1? what if I don't want to gift 1, then a paper wallet is the only way?

I don't want to do any handholding on this nor do I want to have them trying to solve a riddle once they figure out there is an exchange rate

"what you have to do is download this program from sourceforge, and then unzip it... you have to find where you saved the file, then open command prompt"

yeah no.

I think I'll just make a blockchain account, sent whatever I want at my discretion and give them the login info.

bowen151

Activity: 658

Caveat Emptor

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 08:25:36 PM

Casascius coins come in denominations of: 0.5, 1, 5, 10 (silver coin), 25(gold plated coin), 100 (gold plated bar), 1000 (gold coin)

Paper wallets can contain any amount you wish I believe, just create an address using blockchain.info, fund it with your required amount and then go into your import/export section of the accounts section, click paper wallet and then print the next page.

Bitbills I am unsure of to be honest. I think that they did come in a varied denomination.

-Buying/Selling graphics cards every month
--Buying BTC every month £/$/€200+ wanted
---UK based re-seller of physical bitcoins  Click here to buy
BTCnewbie

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 08:38:11 PM

I would probably just send it to this wallet
16zFs6aP1xNPK9KkpsHmBcAGaJUBpEn446

At least I know whatever gets sent to that wallet gets spent wisely on beer, cigarettes, drugs and the occasional whore.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 10:34:31 PM

Send a public and private key while telling them they can spend it by making a wallet at blockchain.info.

Then list a few sites for spending it.
BitSpend for online purchases, Gyft for retail stores...

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Namealreadyexists

Activity: 20

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:25:48 AM

I don't want to turn it into a riddle for them either. maybe I should just make them a blockchain.info account?

One of the items in the Bitcoin 2013 conference gift bag was a "bctip", I believe it's the same idea. Check www.bctip.org
alkuluku

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

🙏

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 03:30:02 AM

I'd probably think something else to give to a nontechnical person.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 04:02:58 AM

A paper wallet like this would be a good choice:

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
traderv

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 04:21:06 AM

Greeting odolvlobo, did you create this wallet template? If not, where did you get it? Thanks.
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 04:31:03 AM

Greeting odolvlobo, did you create this wallet template? If not, where did you get it? Thanks.

I did not. Click on the quote's link. There are other designs in other threads. This was the first example I could find. You can make a paper wallet with an interesting (and more functional) design at bitaddress.org, and follow a tutorial here: https://blockchain.info/wallet/paper-tutorial

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 05:35:18 AM

I think physical bitcoins would probably be a good idea too, I plan on buying some at some point in the future.
norn

Activity: 32

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:42:46 AM

https://www.bctip.org is exactly what are you looking for.
GCInc.

Activity: 566

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 09:10:03 AM

I have gone the riddle way, with just the public and private keys and "0.2 BTC" on a slip of paper. The receiver wasn't too elated Grin but I hope he will be when the value reaches proper heights! It's just paramount to emphasize the importance of not losing the piece of paper that carries real value. I told him not to care about it for at least a year. Still I hold a backup copy just in case.

Physical coin like Casascius would certainly be a more elaborate gift, a real durable investment. A coupon with nice paper wallet template as sampled above is a tradeoff that some slightly technically inclined receiver could appreciate.

odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 03:11:10 PM

Physical coin like Casascius would certainly be a more elaborate gift, a real durable investment. A coupon with nice paper wallet template as sampled above is a tradeoff that some slightly technically inclined receiver could appreciate.
physical bitcoins or bitcoin debit cards would work best, keep it as tangible as possible and avoid directly using the wallet.
Yes, nice appealing coins and notes (bills, cards) is a good way to gift bitcoins. You could also use them as a means of payment - like cash money. I just came across this: http://de.ebid.net/for-sale/1-stunning-brand-new-physical-bitcoin-107779519.htm
and this: http://de.ebid.net/for-sale/1-awesome-brand-new-bitnote-bitbill-107764070.htm

The first one -- the coin -- looks like a scam. The image is not real, it is computer-generated, and there is no way to redeem the coin. I assume the bill is a scam because the same person is selling it, and the picture is also fake.

odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 04:48:33 PM

Did you read the description? Sorry but you dont seeem to understand anything.  Roll Eyes

Yes. I read the description. It confirms everything that I wrote.

sacko

Activity: 174
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 10:30:29 AM

odolvlobo /ignore
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: