Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 12:04:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ICOs] Most ICOs Will Fail  (Read 493 times)
CoinHoarder (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 01:50:38 AM

They say that 90 percent of startups fail. That is an exaggerated statistic, but nonetheless creating a successful startup is hard indeed. I posit that ICOs, alternative cryptocurrencies etc. are much of the same. There are over 1000 alternative cryptocurrencies that have been created throughout the years, yet around 90% of them have effectively “failed”. Furthermore, ICOs are plagued by several risks that startups are not largely at risk for. So perhaps the 90% statistic is not so exaggerated when it comes to ICOs. Let’s explore the likelihood that any arbitrary ICO will be successful.

Read more here: https://www.decentralized.tech/blogs/icos-most-icos-will-fail
xaxistech

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 01:53:17 AM

Yes we all knew from the beggining that almost all ICO's falls, that is because starting a new cryptocurrencie is very difficult, most of them doesnt know that they need a lot of capital to make it run well.
I have participated in a lot of ico projects, and all admins have the same fail, they dont care about their community, and community is the only thing that can make a succesfull ico.

▄▄███▄▄
     ▄▄███████████▄▄
 ▄▄███████████████████▄▄
██████████████████████████
  ▀▀██████████████████▀▀ ▄▄
      ▀▀██████████▀▀ ▄▄████
          ▀▀█▀▀ ▄▄█████████
             ▄█████████████
             ██████████████
             ██████████████
             ██████████████
             ██████████████
             █████████████▀
             █████████▀▀
             █████▀▀
             ▀▀▀
Brickblock.io
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║

▄▄██▄
              ▄▄█▀▀  ██
          ▄▄█▀▀      █▌
      ▄▄█▀▀   ▄▀    ██
 ▄▄▄█▀▀    ▄█▀     ▐█
██      ▄██▀       █▌
 ▀▀██▄███▀        ██
     ██▀▀█▄▄▄     █▌
      █▄  ██▀▀▀█▄██
       █▄█▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▄████████
    █████▀▀▀▀
   ▐████
   ▐████
████████████
████████████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄                  ▄▄▄
█████▄             ▄██████▄
█████████▄        ████████████▄
██████████▌▄     ██████████████
██████████▌▐█  ▄█████████████▀▄█
██████████▌▐██▄▀████████████ ███
██████████▌▐████▀██████████ ████
██████████▌▐█████ ███████▀▄█████
██████████▌ ▀█████▄▀████ ███████
██████████▌   ▀▀████ ██▄████████
▀█████████▌      ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████████
   ▀▀█████▌             ▀▀██████
        ▀█▌                  ▀▀█
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║
ranreichman

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Snip CEO

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2017, 02:02:14 AM

This is definitely true but imo understates how likely it is for ICOs to fail. It will be much more than 90% but it'll take quite a while to find out who's for real and who isn't.

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 03:42:42 AM

These are not "Startups" nor are they investments.
The ICO itself is a bastardized obscene scammy version of a properly launched currency.
Note.. i said CURRENCY.

Lets be real here.. not one of these shady little assholes here give two fucking shits if the "startup" fails.
If they profit from it they will declare it a success.

ICO's spit all over the ideology of crypto.
Anyone who supports them is a fucking asshole.

The ICO is no different than me starting some clone coin then tacking on some bullshit gimmick..
Then premining all of the coins then having Poloniex list it so you dumb cunts can buy it so you can dump on the next idiot asshole.

Adoption or idealism etc is of no concern to anyone.
Cut the fucking god damn crap pajeets.
This is about *convincing scam coin gimmick token trading for profits.
To think any ICO has a chance in hell at getting real world adoption is a bloody dream by idiots.

FUD first & ask questions later™
CoinHoarder (OP)
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 06:59:43 PM

To think any ICO has a chance in hell at getting real world adoption is a bloody dream by idiots.

I disagree because coins like Ethereum (ICO Fork), Ripple (100% premined), Dash (large instamine), IOTA (ICO), NEM (ICO), and Eth Classic (ICO) round out the top 10 in market cap, so currently 60% of the top 10 in market cap consists of premined or instamined coins. If it can gain popularity with a lot of "crypto geeks", then surely it has the potential to eventually acquire "real world adoption" by a bunch of sheep. Certainly a few ICOs will succeed, as the market has already been showing signs that some premined coins may fair very well for years now, but at the same time there are 100s of ICOs that have (or are going to) occur.

If they profit from it they will declare it a success.
I guess that's probably true. I think it is important to notify people that plan to buy and hold for a long time, that doing so with an ICO coin has a decent amount of risk that comes along with it.
CoinHoarder (OP)
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 07:03:43 PM

This is definitely true but imo understates how likely it is for ICOs to fail. It will be much more than 90% but it'll take quite a while to find out who's for real and who isn't.

Maybe, but maybe not. I guess we shall see. I am making no assumptions as to what percentage that will be, I meant to use the 90% number exageristically, just like the phrase "90% of startups fail" because I see a lot of similarities in startups and ICOs (which is why I think a lot of them will be subject to securities regulations). I think it may be perhaps below that, but I see your side of the argument too... I can not tell the future and any arbitrary percentage is simply a guess.
CoinHoarder (OP)
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 07:11:08 PM

I have participated in a lot of ico projects, and all admins have the same fail, they dont care about their community, and community is the only thing that can make a succesfull ico.

Yeah, poor communication from the team/developers can be rough on an investor.  Undecided

FYI, a lot of coins that suffer from prolonged communication issues end up being scams. Consider exiting those positions if you are in the black.
wbulot

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 07:13:35 PM

Yeah ofc most ICO will fail. But someone has nothing to loose by asking money.
Only investor has something to loose.
Idrisu

Activity: 924
Merit: 260

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 07:25:56 PM

I have also seen this that over 90% of the ico or altcoins in the market today are going to fail before the end of 2018! Most of them has been returned to shit coin and few has there head a little above there neck. If we may come out of this we most follow the basic and idea of the founding fathers of cryptocurrency as many of us did not understand the economic problems bitcoin come to solve before we started creating its  alternative.
gedor

Activity: 658
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 07:31:39 PM

Yes that's true but not important, most people sell coins when they make enough money from them and if a project goes bad, there will be some clear signs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: