Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:31:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions Regarding Hardware Wallets (Please Help)  (Read 489 times)
Postlegend (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 03:20:26 AM
Last edit: August 20, 2017, 03:52:24 AM by Postlegend

Hey guys, I have some questions regarding hardware wallets. Sorry I'm a newbie.

1) I've recently found interest in getting a Ledger Nano S or Ledger Blue. I am currently using a Trezor Wallet, is it possible for me to "restore" my account (from Trezor) to my Ledger Wallet? In other words, is the Ledger Wallet compatible with the Trezor Wallet?

2) Let's say I received 1000 payments of 0.001BTC in my hardware wallet. If I want to send 1BTC, the chip will have to sign 1000 times. If I want to send 0.5BTC, the chip will have to sign 500 times. Now, if I withdraw 1BTC from my hardware wallet and deposit another 2BTC, how many times will the chip have to sign for my 2BTC withdrawal? Will it be 1 time or 1001 times?

3) Let's say I received 1 payment of 2BTC in my hardware wallet. If I want to send 1.75BTC to someone, the chip will need to sign once, right? If I send the remaining 0.25BTC to another person, the chip will have to sign once again, is that accurate?

▀  ███       LEDGER  WALLET   PROTECT  YOUR  BITCOINS
▀  ▀▀▀       Smartcard security for your bitcoins        Decentralized,Open,Secure         Available now  []
▀  ▀  ▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2017, 06:13:02 AM

1) I've recently found interest in getting a Ledger Nano S or Ledger Blue. I am currently using a Trezor Wallet, is it possible for me to "restore" my account (from Trezor) to my Ledger Wallet? In other words, is the Ledger Wallet compatible with the Trezor Wallet?
Yes.

2) Let's say I received 1000 payments of 0.001BTC in my hardware wallet. If I want to send 1BTC, the chip will have to sign 1000 times. If I want to send 0.5BTC, the chip will have to sign 500 times. Now, if I withdraw 1BTC from my hardware wallet and deposit another 2BTC, how many times will the chip have to sign for my 2BTC withdrawal? Will it be 1 time or 1001 times?
If the only input is the 2 BTC input, then a 2 BTC send will only have 1 input and thus only 1 signature operation.

3) Let's say I received 1 payment of 2BTC in my hardware wallet. If I want to send 1.75BTC to someone, the chip will need to sign once, right? If I send the remaining 0.25BTC to another person, the chip will have to sign once again, is that accurate?
Yes. You will receive the 0.25 BTC as a new output which is sent back to yourself.

Postlegend (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 04:25:35 PM

Thanks for your help, but I'm still a little unclear on #2. Let's say my hardware wallet has received 1000 inputs of 0.001 each, totaling to 1 BTC. I then send the 1 BTC to someone, leaving my balance to 0. I then receive another 1 BTC from someone else, totaling to 1 BTC again. At this time my hardware wallet would have received 1001 inputs. However the first 1000 inputs have been spend already. The next time I wish to send from my hardware wallet, the chip would only need to sign once? In other words, are "spent inputs" no longer needed to be signed again?

▀  ▀▀▀       Smartcard security for your bitcoins        Decentralized,Open,Secure         Available now  []
▀  ▀  ▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2017, 04:26:40 PM

Thanks for your help, but I'm still a little unclear on #2. Let's say my hardware wallet has received 1000 inputs of 0.001 each, totaling to 1 BTC. I then send the 1 BTC to someone, leaving my balance to 0. I then receive another 1 BTC from someone else, totaling to 1 BTC again. At this time my hardware wallet would have received 1001 inputs. However the first 1000 inputs have been spend already. The next time I wish to send from my hardware wallet, the chip would only need to sign once? In other words, are "spent inputs" no longer needed to be signed again?
Yes. Inputs that have been spent cannot be spent again. There is no need to sign for them after they are spent.

Postlegend (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 04:44:54 PM

Achow101, thank you very much for your help!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: