Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 07:22:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Would it make sense for Paypal to emulate Webmoney?  (Read 1356 times)
Ares (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 11:18:17 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2013, 11:54:06 PM by Ares

I had never heard of Webmoney, but it was described on here as the PayPal of Russia. I don't yet fully understand Webmoney's system and how Bitcoin plays into it, but would it make business sense for Paypal to do something similar, aside from doing it just to stay relevant in the future? If so, is it unreasonable to think they would?
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 11:24:28 PM

No that's not unreasonable at all, they have even openly admitted thinking about adopting bitcoin as well recently.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 11:29:52 PM

I had never heard of Webmoney, but it was described on here as the PayPal of Russia. I don't yet fully understand Webmoney's system and how Bitcoin plays into it, but would it make business sense for Paypal to do something similar, aside from doing just to stay relevant in the future? If so, is it unreasonable to think they would?

Bitcoin is a competitor to Paypal.  If they are smart, they are trying to find ways to destroy Bitcoin and/or develop their own competing virtual currency.  Either way, you can bet whatever they do, it is not with Bitcoin's best interest in mind.  That would be my guess anyway.

On the flipside, there is a lot of money to be made off people buying and selling Bitcoin.  Just depends on risk vs reward.  The wrong move could leave Paypal in the same position as the long distance carriers...obsolete.

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
Ares (OP)

Activity: 238

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 11:39:45 PM

I had never heard of Webmoney, but it was described on here as the PayPal of Russia. I don't yet fully understand Webmoney's system and how Bitcoin plays into it, but would it make business sense for Paypal to do something similar, aside from doing just to stay relevant in the future? If so, is it unreasonable to think they would?

Bitcoin is a competitor to Paypal.  If they are smart, they are trying to find ways to destroy Bitcoin and/or develop their own competing virtual currency.  Either way, you can bet whatever they do, it is not with Bitcoin's best interest in mind.  That would be my guess anyway.

On the flipside, there is a lot of money to be made off people buying and selling Bitcoin.  Just depends on risk vs reward.  The wrong move could leave Paypal in the same position as the long distance carriers...obsolete.

Wouldn't Bitcoin also be a competitor to Webmoney (again, Webmoney was described to me as the Paypal of Russia, is that incorrect)?
Gordonium

Activity: 392

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 11:41:29 PM

Yes it would make sense.
amencon

Activity: 410

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 11:50:21 PM

Yes it would make sense.

Especially so if Webmoney posts significantly increased revenue due to bitcoin transactions.  If I were Paypal I'd wait and let Webmoney be the guinea pig.
fr33d0miz3r

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 12:04:34 AM

I don't yet fully understand Webmoney's system and how Bitcoin plays into it

Click the link in my signature
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 12:05:37 AM

Wouldn't Bitcoin also be a competitor to Webmoney (again, Webmoney was described to me as the Paypal of Russia, is that incorrect)?

If their business model is anything like Paypal, then yes it's a direct competitor.  Just because they are doing it, doesn't mean it's a smart move.  Then again, just have to see how the revenue pans out.  Risk vs reward.  If I owned either Paypal or Webmoney, I'd do everything I could to destroy Bitcoin and as fast as I possibly could.  But that's me.   Cool

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 12:09:48 AM

Bitcoin is a competitor to Paypal.

No, its not, their potential competitors would be bitpay & co.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 12:17:01 AM

Just for those who have missed the interview with the President of PayPal where he talks in a very positive way about bitcoin and that they are thinking about adopting it as a currency: http://www.bloomberg.com/video/paypal-sees-20-billion-in-mobile-transactions-WlokACTBRterdjHAJGNB6w.html

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 12:34:00 AM

If you think Bitcoin and Paypal are not competitors....I don't know what to say.  Just wow!

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 12:41:46 AM

If you think Bitcoin and Paypal are not competitors....I don't know what to say.  Just wow!

Is that supposed to be an argument?
noedaRDH

Activity: 182

Finding Satoshi

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 12:42:03 AM

I disagree that Bitcoin must necessarily be a competitor to Paypal.

Paypal can stand to gain a lot by adopting the Bitcoin infrastructure.

Just to daydream a bit, Paypal's current network probably employs a vast amount of human resources and contracts to keep their payment system runs smoothly. At every level of the company there might be operating costs that might not exist even at all if business was done using Bitcoin.

Maybe Bitcoin can help alleviate some of that cost (termination of old system as they integrate Bitcoin into the company), allowing them to lower their fees, earning higher profit, and gain more customer volumes.

Remember, Paypal itself doesn't necessarily come with a political ideology that pits the company against Bitcoin. Paypal itself can be pretty fluid. Of course right now Paypal is heavily associated with banks and credit card companies. But that may change over time if Paypal sees Bitcoin adoption to be beneficial.

1NwGKiLcAngD1KiCCivxT6EDJmyXMGqM9q

Ask not what Bitcoin can do for you - ask what you can do for Bitcoin.
noedaRDH

Finding Satoshi

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 12:43:44 AM

Yep, I agree. Bitpay and all other similar new startup's are the "new" Paypal. These new guys don't have the burden of keeping an old horse running, and can go in any direction they want. Meanwhile Paypal can't just drop their existing system at a moment's notice to pursue Bitcoin.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 12:50:06 AM

Yep, I agree. Bitpay and all other similar new startup's are the "new" Paypal. These new guys don't have the burden of keeping an old horse running, and can go in any direction they want. Meanwhile Paypal can't just drop their existing system at a moment's notice to pursue Bitcoin.

You guys have to stop thinking within the 'if you aren't for us you are against us" paradigm. Paypal wouldn't have to stop their existing business model or financial system to use Bitcoin.
Neither is it necessary for Bitcoin to replace Government issued fiat money.
noedaRDH

Finding Satoshi

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 12:52:16 AM

You guys have to stop thinking within the 'if you aren't for us you are against us" paradigm. Paypal wouldn't have to stop their existing business model or financial system to use Bitcoin.

Yes I agree with that also. Even if Bitcoin can be a marginal profitable part of Paypal's total operation, you can bet your ass Paypal will get into the game.

zulzedd

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 12:53:58 AM

Little FAQ about WM https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=210118.0

Aeron 1.250.000 CryptoBonusMiles Giveaway, 250 Winners, 5.000 CryptoBonusMiles per winner and guaranteed airdrop for ARN holders until 30.11.2018.
Follow the link to join Giveaway 
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 01:29:01 AM
Last edit: May 20, 2013, 01:58:35 AM by Coinseeker

If you think Bitcoin and Paypal are not competitors....I don't know what to say.  Just wow!

The level of education required to refute your statement would take days.  You're too far behind the 8-ball.  
I retract this statement and apologize to you for it.  I could have been much more respectful in my response.

Coinseeker

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 01:31:53 AM

I disagree that Bitcoin must necessarily be a competitor to Paypal.

Paypal can stand to gain a lot by adopting the Bitcoin infrastructure.

Just to daydream a bit, Paypal's current network probably employs a vast amount of human resources and contracts to keep their payment system runs smoothly. At every level of the company there might be operating costs that might not exist even at all if business was done using Bitcoin.

Maybe Bitcoin can help alleviate some of that cost (termination of old system as they integrate Bitcoin into the company), allowing them to lower their fees, earning higher profit, and gain more customer volumes.

Remember, Paypal itself doesn't necessarily come with a political ideology that pits the company against Bitcoin. Paypal itself can be pretty fluid. Of course right now Paypal is heavily associated with banks and credit card companies. But that may change over time if Paypal sees Bitcoin adoption to be beneficial.

This is wishful thinking at best, from someone who simply wants mass adoption and a big player like Paypal to accept Bitcoin. There could be money to be made but Bitcoin challenges their very revenue model.  Again, anyone who can't clearly see that is truly blinded by the mere thought of Paypal adding Bitcoin.  

You're going to help the masses adopt a payment method, Bitcoin, that is mere pennies in transaction fees as compared to paypal?  That's ludicrous.  They might do it, if there's money to be made and they think Bitcoin is a fad that will die but for the long term...only one can survive.   That's a really big risk and one not worth taking. That's my view anyway. 

michaelGedi

Activity: 364

"to be or not to be, that is the bitcoin"

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 01:36:53 AM

If you think Bitcoin and Paypal are not competitors....I don't know what to say.  Just wow!

The level of education required to refute your statement would take days.  You're too far behind the 8-ball.  

you're missing something here...

bitcoin as a currency and bitcoin as a payment system can be seperate.

webmoney has taken the option to assimilate the currency into their system...

bitpay is using the payment system (yes, competitor to paypal)

paypal can follow webmoney's lead or simliar, or, can cry about the idea of the bitcoin payment system being a competitor, or, can work out it's own innovative assimilation solution (EDIT one that could include making use of the lower transaction fees THEMSELVES in order to provide a better, cheaper service to their existing customer base... who they want to keep happy), or, work out it's own version of bitcoin (without the community, following, prior investment or groundwork already laid down).

OR, can stop crying, forget innovation, and try and kill it... which it can't... what do you think is the best solution?

I haven't thought this through in detail so I may have some errors, please correct me if I'm wrong.

TRADE FOREX, STOCKS AND COMMODITIES without the paperwork with Bitcoin: https://1broker.com/m/r.php?i=3589

1BROKER has been around since 2012 and is going strong
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: