Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 10:57:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Back interesting in mining Alt's since 2014. What to mine in 2017?  (Read 463 times)
markyminer2013 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 04:46:08 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2017, 05:03:32 PM by markyminer2013

So had to create a new login on here as I couldn't retrieve my old one from 2013, when I went under markyminer.  I mined BTC,LTC and Doge over 2013-2014, then packed it in when the price of my UK leccy exceded the crypto £££ I was mining and I just parked my wallets and got on with my life, sold my GPU's on ebay, boxed up my Butterfly Labs ASIC.

So got back interested in it in 2017, and totted up my holdings, today I traded 50% of my LTC for ETH to diversify, and sitting on over £23.5k worth from a net £2k investment in mining rigs ands ASIC in 2013. My personal holdings since the BTC fork on 1/8/17 are :

5.3 BTC
5.3 BCH
8.5 ETH
54.5 LTC
100k Doge.

Very happy with it all but got curious. Could I mine again small time for profit? Happy to mine if the altcoin earned costs more than my UK home leccy @ $0.15/kwh . I have 21gh SH256 ASIC (3 x BFL Jally's @ 7gh each) , and a Nvidia MSI Armor GTX 1070.  Is it still AMD GPU , current GTX480 / 580 dominating mining still or have Nvidia caught up?

Happy for any tips, especially the BTC asics as they are easy and low power use. Look at BCH mining with them but returns were 10x less than the cost of leccy so would be better just to buy more BTC directly. Had heard a rumour that ETH mining with GTX1070 was ok? Is this true?

Thanks in advance from an oldtimer, a nice LTC tip for anyone who gets me mining for profit again. Also did Litecoin scrypt ASIC ever make it to market same quality as BTC ones?

MarkyMiner
papasmurf1337

Activity: 64

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 04:51:47 PM

As for 1070 i can say they are perfect for mining ETH and other alt coins.
RX 580 is also amazing card with good cooling, but hard to find, or can be found for much $$, than i would go to 1070 as i think it is better card.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2017, 05:11:34 PM

Welcome back.
Not too long ago, I revived my rig of 7700 and 7800 series cards that I put away back around 2015 so I was kind of in the same boat.

These days, ETH and Zcash are pretty common for GPU mining. Nvidia cards tend to shine on Equihash, so I'd recommend that you use your 1070 to mine Zcash. You should be able to get 400-450 H/s pretty easily. I would recommend the EWBF Zcash miner for CUDA devices.

Alternatively, you could mine Ethereum instead. The ZEC and ETH prices fluctuate enough that it's pretty close. You'll probably want to check the performance you get on Ethereum mining vs. Zcash mining using your own specific hardware, rather than numbers other users have posted.

Bitmain produces Scrypt ASICs now, although some of them (such as the L3+) seem to have some quality control issues, with relatively high failure rates for something that costs over $1500. (Not to mention that obtaining one at MSRP is rather difficult.)

If you're thinking about buying new cards, Nvidia 1060s are pretty good for the price & power consumption, but you do sacrifice rig density. (For example, to achieve the same overall performance as a rig with a motherboard full of 1070s, you'd need a second set of a motherboard/cpu/ram/etc.)
I recently did some deal hunting and got some 3GB versions at just below $200 each. They do quite well on Zcash (about 300 H/s each), and that nets me about $5 per day in revenue at the current state.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
markyminer2013 (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 10:16:52 AM

Thanks Guys.

As I'm not a newbie I did some googling and by 9pm had my home PC setup and mining ETH by 9pm as a test. Couldn't get Genoils miner or QTminer to work under Windows 10 64, they started but kept crashing at the last stage. Finally tried Claymores Miner and that worked fine and stable and has been running constantly since 10pm last night UK time on Ethermine.org pool on the French server.

Standard nothing tweeked, my MSI GTX1070 is pulling 24-25mh. Will see my 24hr average on Ethermine tonight. The whole PC pulls about 250 watts with the GTX1070 mining @ 100% but amazingly the fans don't go above 68% and temp seems stable @ 67 deg c.

Will have a play over the next few weeks with overclocking and  / or undervolting to increase the hashrate. Again just reading a little on google it seems undervolting to save leccy use, and maxing out the GFX memory speed at standard core clockspeed is the game to play for ETH mining for best results on GTX1070 hashrate?

M
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 10:51:48 AM

Not much has changed really from 2014 besides...

Back then the 7970/280X was the king mining GPU, now its the RX 470/480
Back then everybody used ribbon risers... now everybody uses USB risers
Back then everybody mined LTC and DOGE... now everybody mines ETH and ZEC
Back then the 280X consumed 300 Watts mining LTC... now the RX 470 consumes 125 Watts mining ETH
Back then NVIDIA was useless in mining... now not so much
Back then Bitcoin was in a bear market... now its in a bull market
Back then everybody used PIMP or BAMT ... now its either EthOS or Windows 7/10.

███████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████▀█▀████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████▀▀██████
████▀▀▀█████████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄███████
█████████████████▄▄▄████
█████████████████▀█████
████████████▀██▀████████
████████████████████████
███████████▄▄█████▄▄█████

███████████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████▀▀▀
▀▄
▌░░▐▌
█████▄▄█
████████▄
████████▌
███████
███████
██████
██████
█████
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
..Play Now..
[
markyminer2013 (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 10:33:38 AM

Not much has changed really from 2014 besides...

Back then the 7970/280X was the king mining GPU, now its the RX 470/480
Back then everybody used ribbon risers... now everybody uses USB risers
Back then everybody mined LTC and DOGE... now everybody mines ETH and ZEC
Back then the 280X consumed 300 Watts mining LTC... now the RX 470 consumes 125 Watts mining ETH
Back then NVIDIA was useless in mining... now not so much
Back then Bitcoin was in a bear market... now its in a bull market
Back then everybody used PIMP or BAMT ... now its either EthOS or Windows 7/10.

Back then my crypto mining stash (see above) was worth a few hundred quid more than the £2k net cost to mine it....... now it's worth enough to by a brand new hot hatch or nice family sized car!!

Hopefully in another three years we will talking enough to by a house oppp north or a small boat!!

M
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: