Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 06:13:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Where do you store most of your coins for long term storage?
On mtgox - 12 (5.7%)
On Btc-e - 4 (1.9%)
On Bitstamp - 2 (1%)
On another exchange - 4 (1.9%)
In my personal wallet on my computer - 43 (20.6%)
On a usb drive in a safety deposit box - 3 (1.4%)
On a usb drive stored safely in my house - 15 (7.2%)
On a usb drive stored somewhere else - 8 (3.8%)
On a paper wallet - 72 (34.4%)
on a brain wallet - 19 (9.1%)
on blockchain.info wallet - 23 (11%)
on another online wallet - 4 (1.9%)
Total Voters: 209

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do you store most of your coins for long term storage?  (Read 6008 times)
starsoccer9 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1630
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 10:50:07 PM

JPEG photos of a paper wallet, hidden amongst family and pet photo album archives. Even if you were staring the photo it wouldn't be immediately obvious there was a private key on it. I guess this could be regarded as steganography in its most basic form.

This is a really cool idea for a backup!
haha yea i thought it would be neat

Just to put everyones fears to ease. my main use in this poll is a few reasons
  • figuring out where I should store my personal coins
  • am looking into opening a service that will store users coins for them
  • figuring out stats for the amout of users who would use my service
canton

Activity: 261
Merit: 285

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 05:18:12 AM

I used bitcointalk.org itself to backup my wallet import format key to the Internet forever and ever. Just string together the first letter used in each of my 51 first posts. Argh! You tricked me into giving up my key. Ah well, back to paper wallets. Smiley

PS: https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com is what I developed to safekeep my coins offline. I invested a lot of brainstorming & real-world testing with regards to tamper-resistance & long-term storage, waterproofing, etc.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 10:02:34 AM

I have all mine in instawallet and Bitcoin savings & trust. Around 2700 BTC.

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:09:26 PM

You can also store a bulk of them in assets. A keylogger probably isn't going to care about your 2K ASICMINER shares.

Keylogger doesn't care, but it will get your password to your bitfunder account. So therefore, use 2FA. And try not to get any keyloggers by doing something stupid like clicking on .exe's sent by friends.

drwho88888

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:44:26 PM

Blockchain.info baby!
navigator

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 09:19:34 PM

What do you guys think about the Sandisk memory vault or WORM(Write Once Read Many) SD card? Both last 100 years.
http://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/memory-vault/
http://www.ssd.gb.com/Products/SanDisk_Industrial_and_Enterprise/End_Of_Life/SD_Worm_Card/index.php

You can get a 1gb WORM SD card for $13.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-1GB-WORM-SD-Memory-Card-/400485010572
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 09:45:05 PM

That's cool, I'd get a few and put armory backups.

AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 02:23:35 AM

This might sound silly but I wrote the hex keys on 4x6 and put them in sealed manilla envelopes.

Next opportunity one is going into my safe deposit box and one (identical keys) are going into parents. That way if I die they can access them before waiting for the legal stuff to give them access to my box.

No QR code, no encryption, just written with a quality pen. Ink allowed to dry properly before putting the 4x6 into envelope.

Once they big enough, I'll look into that cool thing I saw where you can create a transaction that requires multiple keys to spend and put the bulk of it into that kind of transaction just to reduce the highly unlikely odds of someone getting my coins via collision.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 01:36:12 AM

Ummm so I bought 3 of them and I think they are fake.

I was able to write and erase, format, etc.. WTF? Erasing kinda makes sense if the space keeps decreasing. But it didn't, format brought it all back.

Help anyone? I don't think WORM needs to be initialized.

What do you guys think about the Sandisk memory vault or WORM(Write Once Read Many) SD card? Both last 100 years.
http://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/memory-vault/
http://www.ssd.gb.com/Products/SanDisk_Industrial_and_Enterprise/End_Of_Life/SD_Worm_Card/index.php

You can get a 1gb WORM SD card for $13.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-1GB-WORM-SD-Memory-Card-/400485010572

drwho88888

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 03:24:37 PM

Coinlockr.com
nbartlett

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 09:35:58 PM

Most answers have revolved around hidden files, USB keys, scraps of paper, passwords etc. But what happens when you die?

Let's assume that you have some significant wealth in BTC, and that you would like your spouse or children to inherit it. How do you create a wallet that is both secure against theft but can still actually be spent by authorised individuals after your death?

My current thinking is a brain wallet saved on a USB key, deposited with an attorney. Give the password to next of kin, make sure they remember it but don't explain what it's for.
starsoccer9 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1630
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:41:54 AM

Most answers have revolved around hidden files, USB keys, scraps of paper, passwords etc. But what happens when you die?

Let's assume that you have some significant wealth in BTC, and that you would like your spouse or children to inherit it. How do you create a wallet that is both secure against theft but can still actually be spent by authorised individuals after your death?

My current thinking is a brain wallet saved on a USB key, deposited with an attorney. Give the password to next of kin, make sure they remember it but don't explain what it's for.

Actully I think the best way would be a private key encrypted with pass guardian and have the keys distributed to trusted people.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 02:32:27 AM

deadmansswitch.net can email for you when you die. The free version sends an email 2 months from now.

Alternatively, you can use google's inactive account manager.

PGP / GPG encrypt so no one else can read it. Your heirs better know how to use it.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 03:48:15 AM

You can create a bicoin transaction that will only be spent some time in the future. So what you do is:

1) Create a transaction that will send all your coins to a spouse or children two years from now.
2) Two years later, before the time runs out, move all the coins to another address, and if needed, create yet another delayed transaction.
3) Since the coins no longer exist in the address used by the original delayed transaction, that transaction will fail and be rejected by the system.

Rinse/Repeat.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 03:55:19 AM

You can create a bicoin transaction that will only be spent some time in the future. So what you do is:

1) Create a transaction that will send all your coins to a spouse or children two years from now.
2) Two years later, before the time runs out, move all the coins to another address, and if needed, create yet another delayed transaction.
3) Since the coins no longer exist in the address used by the original delayed transaction, that transaction will fail and be rejected by the system.

Rinse/Repeat.

That's a really great solution if you leave them on an active network. How do you do that and not expose yourself to risk?

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 04:00:19 AM

Rinse/Repeat.

That's a really great solution if you leave them on an active network. How do you do that and not expose yourself to risk?

You aren't leaving them on an active network. All you do is create the transaction, sign it, and broadcast it. You can create and sign it on an offline storage computer.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 04:04:56 AM

Rinse/Repeat.

You aren't leaving them on an active network. All you do is create the transaction, sign it, and broadcast it. You can create and sign it on an offline storage computer.

Ok but don't they need to be available at the time of the send?

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 04:09:03 AM

Rinse/Repeat.

No. That's why it's a transaction that will spend at some time in the future. You just create it, telling it that it can only be included in a block at some time in the future, and sign it once, and the network holds it until it's ready to be included and confirmed. You're not required for anything else.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 04:18:05 AM

Rinse/Repeat.

No. That's why it's a transaction that will spend at some time in the future. You just create it, telling it that it can only be included in a block at some time in the future, and sign it once, and the network holds it until it's ready to be included and confirmed. You're not required for anything else.

That's a great idea. I've been looking for a solution to this dilemma for a while now. Let me ask you one more question about this. If I wanted to rip someone off then I could sell them a paper wallet that will effectively be worthless an hour or two from the time I sell it because I can set the coins to automatically just return to me. Correct?

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 05:43:50 AM

It's not a secret, they can see the future transaction. And anyone taking a private key better sweep it instantly.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: