Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 11:37:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Criptocoins vs. Linux  (Read 2493 times)
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 09:56:04 PM

The world doesn't ABSOLUTELY NEED linux ...
The world DOES ABSOLUTELY NEED cryptocurrency (like Bitcoin).

So...
The world needs a currency that actually works...
But the world doesn't need an operating system that actually works?
 Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Frozenlock

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 09:56:57 PM

Yes it does.
Time to bring back the Lisp machine.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:21:37 PM

So...

"sucks" != "does not work"

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:03:27 AM

So...

"sucks" != "does not work"

Come now, that's just splitting hairs  Grin
ironstove

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

Possibilities are limitless

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:53:47 AM

In the domestic scheme yes Linux is not widely used but enterprise has a large presence. The same will go for bitcoin,
BitPirate

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 02:34:28 AM

Remember the old saying: "Nobody got fired for choosing Microsoft"?

You know what? I'm just not sure if that's true any more.

The free software movement is happening a lot slower than I anticipated, but there's no doubt that it has made huge advances.

Hyena
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1013

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 06:26:14 AM

linux mint 15 is better than windows 8

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:36:08 AM

Someone should make a "Criptocoinz [sic] vs. email" thread...
It'd be more like apples versus pears, rather than this apples versus oranges stuff

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Francesco (OP)

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:12:46 PM

Server and other does not matter, it is a different story. Banks do not need bitcoins between them.
And even if they did adopt the idea, they would just fork a chain they control. As they would do to use it as an embedded hiddel layer in a commercial app. Just like Ripple did, after all. Nothing good for Bitcoin comes from the equivalent of "server" and "embedded" uses.
I was talking about mass direct user adoption, which apparently didn't happen for Linux. I am using numbers from http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp. Being a site for programming enthousiasts, I figure it must be at least double than the real usage. And most importantly, the number is not increasing since 2010. And Android does not count: as someone noticed, what I was really refering to is GNU/Linux, which Android isn't -it falls under the "embedded" category for my purposes; a layer which enables something else. And that in case of cryptos, it would be probably a blockchain premined by Google.

Discolsure: I do not hate Rpple or Ubuntu; in fact, Ubuntu is almost the only operating system I have used in the last years.
Malawi

Activity: 224

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:16:33 PM

With linux you have to do a choice, as in either Windows or Linux.

Most users have one laptop/desktop computer and they want to be able to do the same stuff as their friends.

Myself I'm mainly using Windows as it's what I'm accustomed to and most games are for windows. If more games were ported to Linux I might have gone with that option.

With BTC you don't have the same barrier. You can use BTC under any operating-system and the competition is mainly CC and paypal. When barriers against using BTC goes down, usage will go up. As more and more vendors accept BTC, more and more users will start using it.

I am not one to think that BTC will "overturn goverments and markets", but it might very well overtake paypals position and then some.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
Draino

Activity: 168

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:26:10 PM

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

don't mean to be a hater, but i think this kind of attitude is what scares the laymen from geeky stuff like bitcoin and linux

and it may help your blood pressure to assume the GNU part when a person says "linux" unless she specifically says "linux kernel", even if it makes mr. stallman's beard turn ever more grey (with respect RMS).
Francesco (OP)

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:17:24 PM

What?

You can install Linux alongside Windows, it takes at most 1 min or so to change from one to the other.

You can run one inside the other inside a VM (some do so, if the office doesn't allow them to install a new OS)

You can even install Ubuntu from inside Windows as a program, with Wubi (or any distro with Unetbootin).

Just because the common people don't know how easy it is doesn't mean it isn't. There is no choice to be made if you don't want to; just as with bitcoins. It's only the difficulty to start using something new and different, not pushed and supported by some huge corporation.
Malawi

Activity: 224

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 02:44:22 PM

What?
You can install Linux alongside Windows, it takes at most 1 min or so to change from one to the other.
You can run one inside the other inside a VM (some do so, if the office doesn't allow them to install a new OS)
You can even install Ubuntu from inside Windows as a program, with Wubi (or any distro with Unetbootin).
Just because the common people don't know how easy it is doesn't mean it isn't. There is no choice to be made if you don't want to; just as with bitcoins. It's only the difficulty to start using something new and different, not pushed and supported by some huge corporation.

Don't think you get my point. Sure you can switch back and forth, but you really don't wanna do it.

I'we done multiple boot-settings in DOS for different uses(yeah, I'm that old), (not to mention OS/2) and the win/linux boot thingy, but it's basically a bit of a hassle. What you wanna do is install the OS and go. No need to remember different commands and styles of doing stuff. Hardware is cheap and strife is expensive.

BTW: I am doing linux at my small laptop, and will prob use linux if I build a mining rig. But for everyday use I want my familiar programs and the ability to dl and use almost all programs/games I fancy.

With BTC you dl a program and use it - nothing else is changed.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
awakening

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 03:51:07 PM

GNU/Linux sucks as desktop, and I think is getting worse with the time. I remember using Debian and KDE like 5 or 6 years ago as the main desktop OS. Today ? No way.
It's good for developing/sysadmin/etc using some good wm like i3. But for desktop if you're an average Joe ? No way. Right now I'm using Windows 8 and I wouldn't change it, GNU/Linux just make me very improductive.
Obviously, I have some tools in cygwin, and some distributions in vmware if I need something, but that's like.. 20% of the day ?
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 09:49:31 PM

Of course it absolutely needs Linux. This very forum for instance is powered by a Linux based web server. Linux dominates servers that power the Internet.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 10:24:25 PM

GNU/Linux sucks as desktop, and I think is getting worse with the time. I remember using Debian and KDE like 5 or 6 years ago as the main desktop OS. Today ? No way.
It's good for developing/sysadmin/etc using some good wm like i3. But for desktop if you're an average Joe ? No way. Right now I'm using Windows 8 and I wouldn't change it, GNU/Linux just make me very improductive.
Obviously, I have some tools in cygwin, and some distributions in vmware if I need something, but that's like.. 20% of the day ?

My fiance who is a pharmacy student uses Linux just fine.  So does my 6 year old sister.  It is you expectations you have learned by many years of Windows usage that are holding you back, not Linux.  I'm not saying you should change, just acknowledge it is you, not Linux that has a problem.  I will say the same for myself.  I am unable to be fully productive on a Windows system because it is not what I am used to.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: