Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 01:28:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Criptocoins vs. Linux  (Read 2493 times)
Francesco (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 07:40:24 AM

Come to think of it.

* Both free, versatile, powerful, in short awesome
* Both faced with a competition either inferior or insanely priced, and in any case unfree as hell.
* Both with a base of enthusiast supporters all absolutely sure that "this year will be our year, we will take over the world!". Every year.

Except Linux has been around 23 years now. It has been adopted by maybe a 2% of tech enthousiasts, and behind the scenes by many big players as an invisible base for their services -but common people apparently still love to defragment and scan for viruses. Although many know there is something called "linux"; just as many have heard of bitcoin recently.

Still, the mental effort required for the change is commonly believed to be too much -although the transition has arguably been made as easy as it could possibly be.
So apparently, without a (really) big company to push for adoption, universal success among common people is unlikely.

(Oh: among crypto, Bitcoin is Debian -and Ripple looks a lot like it could be Ubuntu)
BitPirate

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 08:01:52 AM

I'm not convinced.

Linux now has pretty broad adoption, but it is difficult to report. Look at most of the people in this forum -- in this demographic, people are at home with Linux on the desktop.

If there's a problem that can be solved by knocking up a quick script, people here will invariably turn to Linux.

In this demographic, desktop Linux appears to have pretty broad market share. And it appears to be increasing.

Then of course, servers -- only a vanishingly small % would seriously consider running Windows servers, and that number doesn't appear to be growing.

Android adoption seems to be > than iOS too. Android is Linux.

I see there being a bit of a "digital divide". Those who are computer literate, able to use general purpose computers to solve problems (and recognise and appreciate the freedom needed and given in order to be able to do so); and those who are not (and just need to look at ads on Facebook). Those who aren't, are also not likely to be early adopters of a cryptocurrency.

As people begin to recognize the importance of being on the right side of the divide, adoption is likely to grow. However, some people will never be able to cross over.

It's the same as the Web in the late 90's -- a small % of people who used it, with mass adoption following as people recognised the importance of being "web literate". Some people were left behind.

That said, barriers to adoption are constantly decreasing too. Many flavours of Linux have been easier to install and use than Windows for a long time now. And it will become easier and cheaper to adopt cryptocurrency in the future too.

EDIT: And I don't get the Ubuntu hate. It's not closed source at all..... Mark has done wonders for the Linux ecosystem.

BitWulf

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 08:07:52 AM

That said, barriers to adoption are constantly decreasing too. Many flavours of Linux have been easier to install and use than Windows for a long time now. And it will become easier and cheaper to adopt cryptocurrency in the future too.

EDIT: And I don't get the Ubuntu hate. It's not closed source at all..... Mark has done wonders for the Linux ecosystem.

Haven't tried linux but I'm about to. Is this really true and true for Ubuntu?
nwbitcoin

Activity: 294

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 08:17:03 AM

Its a good analogy, and one I've used myself, but so far, we, as in crypto currency adopters, are not learning any lessons.

Its quite obvious that to make something popular with the mainstream, it needs to be similar enough to something that already exists.  

Once, that has been done, then you need to make sure that the public have a quick and easy help path to ensure that they never gets spooked.

Make sure there is plenty of big companies taking the reigns, and before you know it, bitcoin will be everywhere, even if it does have a different name!

The problem though is that Linux had an easy way to sell itself - its free, as in Beer!

Now that is a problem worthy of a mystery developer .. Wink

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
BitWulf

Activity: 27

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 08:20:42 AM

The problem though is that Linux had an easy way to sell itself - its free, as in Beer!

but atm doesn't bitcoin open up the pathway to save money (no tax, fees etc.) or even make it as the fiat value rises?

EDIT: Given that the fiat value rises   Embarrassed
BitPirate

Activity: 238

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 08:32:06 AM

Been true for a long time (assuming you don't have really esoteric hardware with drivers that were only released for Windows, but even those days are mostly gone).

It was close to 10 years ago now when I finally switched -- I remember reinstalling Windows every 6 months to 1 year as it was the only way to keep performance up. At the time, (XP), you had to insert a *floppy disk* during the install in order for Windows to recognise the RAID drivers on boot. There was a whole bunch of other stuff that made it a right pain in the ass -- being an enthusiast geek, I lost whole days to Windows. And then you had the tools - codecs- etc hunt to set up your system.

Linux generally just works.. disk in, click, click... done. Open software centre / package manager, everything is there. IMO things have mostly "just worked" better than Windows for 10 years now.

And that's just for normal usage. When it gets to "have a bunch of data, need to analyse it"... or "need to knock up a script to do XYZ", you're on the perfect platform. On Windows, the first step was always "what do I need to install now, where do I find it, is it safe, and do I really have to pay?". It's just a bad system.

ktttn

Activity: 126

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 08:34:15 AM

Open source as a technological philosophy will fully overtake capitalism as a matter of course, likely apparent all at once.
When? Now already and yet gradually, until we see a glimmer of singularity. A leap in quantum computing at latest, Id wager would serve as a catalyst. Perhaps the next big war media frenzy will cause it. Who knows?

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 09:20:41 AM

Linux is the hidden motor behind the Internet. Perhaps cryptos will have the same faith for payments.

BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 09:49:48 AM

It's really true for most of the major linux distros.  But if you're going to try linux, go with Linux Mint.  Not only is it better than Ubuntu (and their mainline spin is based on Ubuntu, although I use the straight Debian spin) - easier to install, better desktop choices, includes all codecs, etc. - but Linux Mint takes bitcoin donations.

And don't buy into what the OP is saying - he's uninformed.  Linux owns the server market, the embedded device market, and of course the phone and tablet market (Android):  and by huge margins.  The only reason linux is light in the desktop market is the very serious arm-twisting that Microsoft and Apple lay on the hardware manufacturers:  the advantage of the first mover.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
ColonelCrypto

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:11:26 AM

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
Zaih

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:26:00 AM

Ìf 2% of the world used Bitcoins that'd be good enough for me...

But to be fair, I think your giving Linux not nearly enough credit as it deserves.
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:38:39 AM

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Thank you RMS.  Roll Eyes

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
Missionary

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 01:54:55 PM

If Bitcoin would be as successful as Linux, then we are in for a ride. I don't think you understand how BIG Linux is, if you look at the big picture.

I am an evangelical missionary heading to China. Donations are welcome here (dedicated wallet): 1H8iswayfTaRb6oe2WjMCRmchBJHYyfx9z
You can find more information about my plans here: http://btcmission.com
Kazu

Activity: 168

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 02:46:30 PM

The reason why nobody (comparitively) uses Linux over Windows is because Windows is simply more supported. I have never once in 10 years wanted to change my operating system (except for removing the activation messages).

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 05:53:26 PM

Maybe this year will be the Year of the Bitcoin Wink
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 06:26:54 PM

Quote from: BTC Books
And don't buy into what the OP is saying - he's uninformed.  Linux owns the server market, the embedded device market, and of course the phone and tablet market (Android):  and by huge margins.  The only reason linux is light in the desktop market is the very serious arm-twisting that Microsoft and Apple lay on the hardware manufacturers:  the advantage of the first mover.

Yeah, OP is full of shit, I like his made up 2% stat about Linux adoption that he pulled out of his ass.

Can you IMAGINE what bitcoin price would be if 2% of the world used bitcoin? That would be amazing. I would be rich off my ass, and the world would be a better place - what more could I ask for?

I certainly HOPE Bitcoin reaches the level of adoption that OP made up for Linux, although if anyone has any actual stats to present (separately for the desktop, server, and mobile device market) that'd be great.
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 06:40:03 PM

Come to think of it.

* Both free, versatile, powerful, in short awesome
* Both faced with a competition either inferior or insanely priced, and in any case unfree as hell.
* Both with a base of enthusiast supporters all absolutely sure that "this year will be our year, we will take over the world!". Every year.

Except Linux has been around 23 years now. It has been adopted by maybe a 2% of tech enthousiasts, and behind the scenes by many big players as an invisible base for their services -but common people apparently still love to defragment and scan for viruses. Although many know there is something called "linux"; just as many have heard of bitcoin recently.

Still, the mental effort required for the change is commonly believed to be too much -although the transition has arguably been made as easy as it could possibly be.
So apparently, without a (really) big company to push for adoption, universal success among common people is unlikely.

(Oh: among crypto, Bitcoin is Debian -and Ripple looks a lot like it could be Ubuntu)

Linux is the most used operating system in the world, just not in desktop, but in everything else. Server is linux dominated, embeded and mobile is linux dominated (think how many people use Android), supercomputers is linux dominated, etc... Only in desktop linux does not dominate.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 08:37:34 PM

Thank you RMS.  Roll Eyes

Don't forget all the embedded systems that have long ago abandoned the bloated GNU libraries for lighter replacements Tongue.

We're talking about generic Linux here, go spread your GNU elitism elsewhere.  Sure, it is a big factor on the desktop, but GNU can't claim dominion over all Linux systems, and even on the desktop, 98% of the functionality is available from other non-GNU libraries.  Yes, GNU played a large roll in getting the Open Source movement rolling, but now they have an egotism problem and will become irrelevant if they continue to rest on their laurels.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 09:19:48 PM

The world doesn't ABSOLUTELY NEED linux ...
The world DOES ABSOLUTELY NEED cryptocurrency (like Bitcoin).

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Hyena
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1013

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 09:21:16 PM

I started to use Linux pretty much when I started to use bitcoins. This is because I find Linux security far better than Windows and I cannot afford having my private keys stolen by some typical windows trojan.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: