Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:40:03 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet security  (Read 832 times)
miztaziggy (OP)

Activity: 432
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 08:14:19 AM

Can someone that understands how bitcoins work tell me this:

If I keep bitcoins in a multibit wallet and save the .wallet and .key file to my hard disk, are my bitcoins compromised if someone gains access to those 2 files?

So if I now create a new multibit wallet and send those bitcoins to that new address, are those same bitcoins still compromised if someone gains access to the old .wallet and .key files?

*Image Removed*
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 09:37:02 AM

Yeah, don't keep the key and the wallet at the same place. Keep a different encrytion password for each wallet ( if you have more then one type of coin ) and make those passwords very strong.

I suggest Keepass. It's an open source password manager. You just remember one password and then store everything in there. Very safe, very handy.

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
miztaziggy (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:01:03 AM

I guess the main point of the question is this:

If I send bitcoins from one wallet to another (both within multibit) then are the old .key files still a threat?

The reason I ask is that I sent a hard disk back to manufacturer as it had bad sectors. It had .key files on it. Before I sent it I had used KillDisk on it, so it should be safe, but I dont know for sure.

I thought to be safe, I would send coins to a new wallet, hoping this invalidates previous .key backups. Is that right?

*Image Removed*
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 10:10:18 AM

I've never used multibit so I cannot answer that question.

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
miztaziggy (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 05:10:26 PM

Anyone used multibit that knows?

*Image Removed*
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4660

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 05:20:54 AM

Perhaps you'll get more helpful responses if you move this topic from the "Technical Support" forum to the "MultiBit" forum?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=99.0
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 05:52:08 AM

1Password is also a powerful but pricy option for creating strong unique passwords for anything. It also has a browser add-on feature that allows you to log in to any website with the click of a button.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: